Worst Case Scenario

plenzmd1

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Worst Case`Scenario books.

Here is my take on how we got to where we are now with this team facing another rebuilding project after the dismal failure of this rebuilding phase.

Late run in 04, no JP experience, no playoffs

Late run comes agaisn't bad teams, overconfidence of D grows

Last game of year D gets pummeled by 2nd and 3rd stringers, but QB and Kicker both have critical mistakes, D gets off scott free.

Pick two skill position players in draft, while both lines crumble

both get hurt in camp

D ages overnight

JP plays like a rookie out of the gate agaisn't two strong and two weak teams, maybe loses one game we could have won, confidence shot by yanks in two games

Bench JP,Win two home games agaisnt weak Div. Opp,miss the chance to give young QB needed confidence, false hope attained

PLay a depleted NE team close on the road, giving more false hope

Div stinks, again solidifying false hope

JP still not getting needed experience

Complete rebuild of the D and both lines HAS GOT TO get done, with no cap room.

and the Topper, TD gets an extension at the beginning of the year, and we all know Ralph ain't paying a fired GM

My lord, can things have gone any worse for this squad

Very good synopsis plenz. I for one would have started earlier, with the very trade to bring in JP.

Remember, he cost us 7 spots in round 1, along with a much needed 2nd and a 5th. We traded these picks to who? Oh yeah, a team that had an aging quarterback but thought more of the picks than they apparently did of JP.

To complete the gut wrenching picture, they signed our old qb (for zero compensation) and have a winning record in perhaps the toughest division in the NFL. Could it get much uglier?

One thing.....what gives you the impression that there will be no cap space in 06? I am not thinking this at all.

Very good synopsis plenz. I for one would have started earlier, with the very trade to bring in JP.

Remember, he cost us 7 spots in round 1, along with a much needed 2nd and a 5th. We traded these picks to who? Oh yeah, a team that had an aging quarterback but thought more of the picks than they apparently did of JP.

To complete the gut wrenching picture, they signed our old qb (for zero compensation) and have a winning record in perhaps the toughest division in the NFL. Could it get much uglier?

One thing.....what gives you the impression that there will be no cap space in 06? I am not thinking this at all.

493639[/snapback]

Bill, i must say that is a guess. But I think Milloy, Vincent, Adams, Moulds, and Ftetcher will cost the same amount to cut as to keep, or pretty close. Especially Moulds . I just have not seen the exact numbers to be sure. Would love to see a projected cap number form these cuts, with the realization that we do not know the CBA and cap status for next year

Bill, i must say that is a guess. But I think Milloy, Vincent, Adams, Moulds, and Ftetcher  will cost the same amount to cut as to keep, or pretty close. Especially Moulds . I just have not seen the exact numbers to be sure. Would love to see a projected cap number form these cuts, with the realization that we do not know the CBA and cap status for next year

493665[/snapback]

Why would you want to cut any of those players?

Why would you want to cut any of those players?

493668[/snapback]

Because I think they are on the downside of their careers, and eat to much cap space , and are starters on a D(except Moulds) that is 31st in the league agaisn't the run, and are the leaders of a team that shows no mental toughness, especially on D, and the only reason I didn't include Posey is I think he signed a three year deal

The only guys with large contracts on this team are Moulds, Williams, and Spikes. Spikes isn't going anywhere. Moulds proved last week he's still an excellent receiver if you can get him the ball. And you probably have to still stick with Mike Williams. Fletcher, Adams, Milloy and Vincent don't make huge money and don't have more than 2 years left on their contracts. You might as well draft their replacements this year, bring them back and cut them only if their replacements are ready. Posey doesn't make big money either. I'd like to see a DT and LB drafted in rounds 1 and 2 this year.

I'd like to see a DT and LB drafted in rounds 1 and 2 this year.

493696[/snapback]

I might agree w/ that too, depending on where our draft position is. If we end up w/ a high draft pick though, we'd better use it on one of the top OT prospects available, either McNeil or Ferguson (I'd rather see us get him). Now, if they're long gone, and one of the top DTs is still on the board, then maybe, but I'd see about trading down first (if we do have a high pick), because there isn't a Top 10 talent @ DT that I've seen yet. Rodrique Wright of Texas is close, but he'll be around after the Top 10, more than likely.

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Worst Case`Scenario books.

Here is my take on how we got to where we are now with this team facing another rebuilding project after the dismal failure of this rebuilding phase.

Late run in 04, no JP experience, no playoffs

Late run comes agaisn't bad teams, overconfidence of D grows

Last game of year D gets pummeled by 2nd and 3rd stringers, but QB and Kicker both have critical mistakes, D gets off scott free.

Pick two skill position players in draft, while both lines crumble

both get hurt in camp

D ages overnight

JP plays like a rookie out of the gate agaisn't two strong and two weak teams, maybe loses one game we could have won, confidence shot by yanks in two games

Bench JP,Win two home games agaisnt weak Div. Opp,miss the chance to give young QB needed confidence, false hope attained

PLay a depleted NE team close on the road, giving more false hope

Div stinks, again  solidifying false hope

JP still not getting needed experience

Complete rebuild of the D and both lines HAS GOT TO get done, with no cap room.

and the Topper, TD gets an extension at the beginning of the year, and we all know Ralph ain't paying a fired GM

My lord, can things have gone any worse for this squad

493628[/snapback]

One thing you guys fail to realize, THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE TRIAL BY FIRE APPROACH to develop a QB!!! In fact, you can hurt a QB and ruin him by playing him when he's not even remotely ready to play. Take a look at all the highly touted QBs that never became anything, this isn't only because of lack of ability. JP can learn on the bench, just as Marc Bulger, Chad Pennington, Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, and many other QBs did - and start playing at a very high level. JP is nowhere near ready to play QB in the NFL, and as such he should be on the sidelines.

Guest BackInDaDay
THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE TRIAL BY FIRE APPROACH to develop a QB!!! 

493797[/snapback]

I agree with you...

JP is nowhere near ready to play QB in the NFL, and as such he should be on the sidelines.

493797[/snapback]

but for an entire off-season and 25% of the season, the Bills GM and coaching staff didn't. Pretty scary when you think about how this team's been managed.

JP can learn on the bench, just as Marc Bulger...

493797[/snapback]

Orlando Pace is da man!

...Chad Pennington,...

493797[/snapback]

Wouldn't we love to have Kevin Mawae as our center?

... Tom Brady,...

493797[/snapback]

Damien Woody, Matt Light, Joe Andruzzi; some fairly decent players, I'd say.

...Matt Hasselbeck, ...

493797[/snapback]

The best left side in the NFL w/ Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

... and many other QBs did - and start playing at a very high level. 

493797[/snapback]

Sure, many others who had a good OL in front of them. Imagine that.

JP is nowhere near ready to play QB in the NFL, and as such he should be on the sidelines.

493797[/snapback]

He should be warming up another 3 or 4 seats, too.

Orlando Pace is da man!

Wouldn't we love to have Kevin Mawae as our center?

Damien Woody, Matt Light, Joe Andruzzi; some fairly decent players, I'd say.

The best left side in the NFL w/ Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

Sure, many others who had a good OL in front of them.  Imagine that.

He should be warming up another 3 or 4 seats, too.

493965[/snapback]

I see what you're getting at here, but Marc Bulger was hit/rushed/chased possibly more than any other QB in the NFL his first couple of years. The difference is, he spent some time on the bench and was really ready when he was put in the lineup.

Kevin Mawae looked pretty damn bad vs. us!

Our line is not as bad as people here lead you to believe. They are actually above average run blocking, and Holcomb manages the game quite well with them in front of him. I just didn't see that with JP.

I see what you're getting at here, but Marc Bulger was hit/rushed/chased possibly more than any other QB in the NFL his first couple of years.  The difference is, he spent some time on the bench and was really ready when he was put in the lineup.

Our line is not as bad as people here lead you to believe.  They are actually above average run blocking, and Holcomb manages the game quite well with them in front of him.  I just didn't see that with JP.

494025[/snapback]

Bulger got in to start only because Warner was injured....and then he went

4-0, so they decided to stick with him rather than Warner...who was 1-6

at that time....Bulger was purely a backup QB, not a QB who was groomed

for being the starting QB.....Like a Tom Brady.... I don't know where you

got the hit/rushed/chased from....The guy was played behind the best line

in football...

If you want to call our line that can't give the QB more than 2 seconds to

throw when there is a pass rush, to be an above avg line, then you are

watching something else.....

Also that cheapshot at JP was not required at all....KH might have managed

the games...but he is 0-2 on the road....same record as JP....and JP got to

face the ferocious rush of the TBdefense...not a soft whiny defense from

the Pats.

I see what you're getting at here, but Marc Bulger was hit/rushed/chased possibly more than any other QB in the NFL his first couple of years.  The difference is, he spent some time on the bench and was really ready when he was put in the lineup.

Our line is not as bad as people here lead you to believe.  They are actually above average run blocking, and Holcomb manages the game quite well with them in front of him.  I just didn't see that with JP.

494025[/snapback]

Of course KH manages a game quite well, which would be fine if that was all we needed him to do. But our D is 31st in the leaque agaisnt the run. Our QB needs to win games for us now. This is not the plan they had in mind. Are you really saying one can learn better on the sideline than on the field? I just do not buy that.

If the poor boys psyche is hurt cause hes learning, so be it. See, thats one of the qualities that a great QB needs, mental toughness. If thats the case, he best not be my QB of the future. Might as well find out NOW.And I sure as chit know KH ain't my qb of the future.Now, what all those guys also knew was that no matter how they played, they were not getting yanked. I will admit looking over your shoulder all the time is not ideal for either QB

So again, tell me what we lose by playing JP.

493639[/snapback]

At the time of the trade Dallas had already committed to Drew Henson as their QB of the future. I would not use the trade as evidence that Dallas disliked JP. Even if they did, the Henson manuver would at least leave you questioning their evaluation skills, no?

At the time of the trade Dallas had already committed to Drew Henson as their QB of the future.  I would not use the trade as evidence that Dallas disliked JP.  Even if they did, the Henson manuver would at least leave you questioning their evaluation skills, no?

494059[/snapback]

They also didn't expect their starter, Quincy Carter, to coke himself off the team.

494025[/snapback]

No 'but' on this one. Bulger had zero pocket presence when he first got his chance. He wasn't constantly being chased out of the pocket; he was giving up on plays too easily rather than using his checkdowns. That's all part of the maturation process, and there's no one way that works in all cases. Some people do well by baptism by fire (Peyton Manning, Big Ben come to mind) while others do just as well by waiting their turn (Carson Palmer, Steve McNair). Heck, some even kick it into gear after a rough beginning (Drew Brees). The thing is, I'm not sure if any NFL franchise could properly gauge the ability of a player based on a handful of starts playing behind a sieve of an offensive line (we'll get to that) and dealing w/ an offensive game plan that seemingly shows how confused the coaching staff is @ times. What do I mean? We want to be a 'power running team', yet we also want to draft receivers to "stretch the field". Mission accomplished, if 'stretching' the field is throwing the ball for a yard and praying that your WR can get the other 6 on his own on a critical 4th down.

Nobody has led me to believe that our offensive line isn't getting it done. I've seen enough on my own, through 25 years of faithfully attending Bills games (and I wouldn't have it any other way!!). As I've said on more than a few occasions, our offensive line hasn't been the same since we decided to let our Pro Bowl bookend tackles, House Ballard and Will Wolford, test the free agency market. That, plus the retirement of perhaps my all-time favorite Bill Kent Hull, has led to the Dark Ages of Bills' offensive line play. I do agree w/ you that they're not a bad run blocking unit, unfortunately they are not good in pass protection, and w/out balance offensively, you cannot hope to get it done. Oh, but the Steelers are a run-heavy team, you say? True, but they also have a QB who is mature beyond his years, a 4 time Pro Bowl WR who is one of the best in the business, and a philosophy that challenges defenses down the field.....beyond the markers. Shocking, but true.

JP may end up being a washout, I can't tell for sure. Thing is, neither can anyone else @ this point. I hope he does catch on and start to do well, just to shut up the people who would rather be right than root for a winning team.

No 'but' on this one.  Bulger had zero pocket presence when he first got his chance.  He wasn't constantly being chased out of the pocket; he was giving up on plays too easily rather than using his checkdowns.  That's all part of the maturation process, and there's no one way that works in all cases.  Some people do well by baptism by fire (Peyton Manning, Big Ben come to mind) while others do just as well by waiting their turn (Carson Palmer, Steve McNair).  Heck, some even kick it into gear after a rough beginning (Drew Brees).  The thing is, I'm not sure if any NFL franchise could properly gauge the ability of a player based on a handful of starts playing behind a sieve of an offensive line (we'll get to that) and dealing w/ an offensive game plan that seemingly shows how confused the coaching staff is @ times.  What do I mean?  We want to be a 'power running team', yet we also want to draft receivers to "stretch the field".  Mission accomplished, if 'stretching' the field is throwing the ball for a yard and praying that your WR can get the other 6 on his own on a critical 4th down.

Nobody has led me to believe that our offensive line isn't getting it done.  I've seen enough on my own, through 25 years of faithfully attending Bills games (and I wouldn't have it any other way!!).  As I've said on more than a few occasions, our offensive line hasn't been the same since we decided to let our Pro Bowl bookend tackles, House Ballard and Will Wolford, test the free agency market.  That, plus the retirement of perhaps my all-time favorite Bill Kent Hull, has led to the Dark Ages of Bills' offensive line play.  I do agree w/ you that they're not a bad run blocking unit, unfortunately they are not good in pass protection, and w/out balance offensively, you cannot hope to get it done.  Oh, but the Steelers are a run-heavy team, you say?  True, but they also have a QB who is mature beyond his years, a 4 time Pro Bowl WR who is one of the best in the business, and a philosophy that challenges defenses down the field.....beyond the markers.  Shocking, but true.

JP may end up being a washout, I can't tell for sure.  Thing is, neither can anyone else @ this point.  I hope he does catch on and start to do well, just to shut up the people who would rather be right than root for a winning team.

494177[/snapback]

Nice post