RIP - Wellington Mara

Mark VI

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/obi...tory?id=2203131

Mara's influence went far beyond the Giants. He clearly was one of the most important figures in NFL history.

Perhaps his greatest contribution came in the early 1960s. He and brother Jack, owners of the biggest team in the biggest market, agreed to share television revenue on a leaguewide basis, dividing the huge amounts of money available in cities like New York with smaller markets from Pittsburgh to Green Bay.

Part of that agreement meant that the Giants ceded the right to sell their own games to television for a leaguewide contract, in those days with CBS. That concept of revenue sharing allowed the NFL to thrive and remains in place today.

And this is why I despise Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the other " Me,Me,Me " owners, who wish to keep ALL the $$ for themselves. The greater good of the NFL means nothing to them. :w00t:

weren't alot of people blasting this guy a couple of years ago for not runnig the club right? I seem to recall that but as is usually the case, I could be wrong

Just think, soon that will be us. One day we'll all wake up and the will be news items on Ralph. It will come out of nowhere.

486098[/snapback]

And this is why I despise Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the other " Me,Me,Me " owners, who wish to keep ALL the $$ for themselves. The greater good of the NFL means nothing to them.  :)

486026[/snapback]

Everyone should flood Jones ans Snyder mailbox with this article. Maybe they will "get it." Probably not though.

An old school owner who fought for small markets and recognized the importance of blue collar fans. The guy fought for a salary cap that helps keep the Bills on the same playing field with the big boys.

Win or lose, having something to get happy or pissed about is due in large part to your contributions. Here's to you Mr. Mara...

Mara's influence went far beyond the Giants. He clearly was one of the most important figures in NFL history.

Perhaps his greatest contribution came in the early 1960s. He and brother Jack, owners of the biggest team in the biggest market, agreed to share television revenue on a leaguewide basis, dividing the huge amounts of money available in cities like New York with smaller markets from Pittsburgh to Green Bay.

Part of that agreement meant that the Giants ceded the right to sell their own games to television for a leaguewide contract, in those days with CBS. That concept of revenue sharing allowed the NFL to thrive and remains in place today.

And this is why I despise Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the other " Me,Me,Me " owners, who wish to keep ALL the $$ for themselves. The greater good of the NFL means nothing to them.  :)

486026[/snapback]

Wellington Mara---class act.

Just think, soon that will be us. One day we'll all wake up and the will be news items on Ralph. It will come out of nowhere.

486098[/snapback]

I was thinking the very same thing...makes Mr. Wilson's mortality seem all the more real. :)

An old school owner who fought for small markets and recognized the importance of blue collar fans.  The guy fought for a salary cap that helps keep the Bills on the same playing field with the big boys.

Win or lose, having something to get happy or pissed about is due in large part to your contributions.  Here's to you Mr. Mara...

486593[/snapback]

Amen. R.I.P., Mr. Mara.

Guest BackInDaDay
An old school owner who fought for small markets and recognized the importance of blue collar fans.  The guy fought for a salary cap that helps keep the Bills on the same playing field with the big boys.

Win or lose, having something to get happy or pissed about is due in large part to your contributions.  Here's to you Mr. Mara...

486593[/snapback]

Right on the money.

I heard that years back, prior to the SB years, some Giant fans got together a hired a plane to fly over Giant Stadium pulling a banner that read "16 years of losing is enough", or something to that effect. Mara, who attended all his team's practices and game, took it pretty hard. Not long after, he was being handed the Lombardi Trophy.

Anyone here know how to fly a plane? <_<