Willis talks a little birthday smack

From the AP (and some Oakland area paper):

ALAMEDA - Buffalo's Willis McGahee is proving to be an adept NFL running back. But if things don't work out for him, maybe he will become the next Dave Chappelle and get his own show on Comedy Central. Some of the Raiders' defensive players seem to think McGahee is a pretty funny guy.

Speaking to Bay Area reporters via phone Wednesday, McGahee declared himself the best runner in the league, comparing himself favorably to the heavily decorated LaDainian Tomlinson.

"I'm the best back," McGahee said. "Case closed."

A few hours later, a reporter told defensive tackle Ed Jasper of the boast in the Raiders' locker room, and several nearby defenders immediately took notice. While Jasper widened his eyes in amazement, defensive end Tommy Kelly began to cackle at the top of his lungs. Anttaj Hawthorne, a rookie defensive tackle currently on the Oakland practice squad, asked for clarification, not trusting his ears.

"Wow," Jasper said when the laughter subsided. "He needs to put it on paper like LaDainian Tomlinson's got it on paper. Then we'll believe him. Wow. He thinks a lot of himself, don't he? You've gotta give him kudos for not underrating himself. Then again, he's got to know where his boundaries end, too."

---

Some comments:

1. Happy 24th birthday, Willis.

2. I think WMcG is a great athlete and a great back. I also like comeback-from-devastating-injuries stories, so it is logical that I have a #21 away jersey.

3. However, I was more than a little annoyed to read this. The Bills need to eat their cheeseburgers, go into the "Black Hole" (ha), be very business-like and take apart the Raiders. Period. Then get back on the damned plane, take a day off and prepare for the Patriots. They DO NOT need to give the Raiders D--which admittedly is not very good--a rallying point to kick their asses.

4. The Bills are looking like one of those teams that opponents will stop looking past. They can strengthen their position by proving it on the field, and talking about themselves in the context of the TEAM.

5. Back when the Bills started their run-up to four consecutive AFC titles, it seems like the same thing happened. They started winning, and you heard individual players talking about themselves and their talent. Then, when things really jelled, every word out of their mouths was about the Bills. That has to happen again--even for this team to get out of the 2005 season with a respectable (read: .500+) and set itself up for a playoff run in 2006.

It's all about "ME ME ME ME ME!"

Even if you are the best back, people will respect you more if you prove it on Sunday.

Willis is going to have a whole lot of fun in the post-tackle pileups--especially if the pileup is three yards behind the line of scrimmage.

And now, every friggin' defensive tackle, guard and back on the Bills' next three or four opponents are going to be chomping at the bit to prove that Willis isn't the best back. Especially the Chargers.

I don't know about you guys and gals ...... but I'm getting kind of tired of HEARING that we have the best defense in the history of the NFL ....... and now the best running back in the league. I'm ready for the team to SHOW me.

willis should probably shut the fug up. LT is the best back in the game, certainly the most complete back, and has proven it every year he has played. Willis has a long way to go to catch up to LT's level of production. Same goes for Alexander. Look at the guy's TDs and yardage. Willis needs to learn that respect is gained from production, not assertions. He doesn't have the stats or the verbal ability to defend himself here.

** But he certainly has the talent to get there. **

It's all about "ME ME ME ME ME!"

Even if you are the best back, people will respect you more if you prove it on Sunday.

Willis is going to have a whole lot of fun in the post-tackle pileups--especially if the pileup is three yards behind the line of scrimmage.

And now, every friggin' defensive tackle, guard and back on the Bills' next three or four opponents are going to be chomping at the bit to prove that Willis isn't the best back.  Especially the Chargers.

481937[/snapback]

Oh stop, Willis is a gonna put a beat down on the old weak Raiders defense this week. He's in their head and thats all part of the game at the right time. Smart move by Willis and possibly for this whole team. The radiers cant stop themselves from losing, 200 hundred yard game for Willis this weekend with 3 TD's.

Go Bills!

Oh stop, Willis is a gonna put  a beat down on the old weak Raiders defense this week. He's in their head and thats all part of the game at the right time. Smart move by Willis and possibly for this whole team. The radiers cant stop themselves from losing, 200 hundred yard game for Willis this weekend with 3 TD's.

Go Bills!

481957[/snapback]

Smart move? Yeah, it's about as smart as the Bills D praising themselves before the Tampa Bay game only to have Tampa run all over them. After the game Tampa players were litterally laughing at the Bills D. I guess the Bills D got in Tampa's head too? :rolleyes:

I don't know about you guys and gals ...... but I'm getting kind of tired of HEARING that we have the best defense in the history of the NFL ....... and now the best running back in the league. I'm ready for the team to SHOW me.

481945[/snapback]

I'm suprised at you guys. WM is pumped and ready to rumble. You all would be crying about how the Bills are looking past the Raiders. About how Willis takes a quarter to warm up.

Well he says he is ready to rock. And then the Raiders laugh?

Just from a pragmatic standpoint - these are good signs.

From an entertainment standpoint, Willis has put smiles on Everybody's face with his

1. performance

2. dance

3. confidence.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Go Bills

PS - for all you "humility speaks volumes" folks - Have you ever been in a bar when the Touchdown is made??? I've seen gestures that would make two dogs in a rut blush.

willis should probably shut the fug up. LT is the best back in the game, certainly the most complete back, and has proven it every year he has played. Willis has a long way to go to catch up to LT's level of production. Same goes for Alexander. Look at the guy's TDs and yardage. Willis needs to learn that respect is gained from production, not assertions. He doesn't have the stats or the verbal ability to defend himself here.

** But he certainly has the talent to get there. **

481947[/snapback]

Bulls-eye.

LT doesn't need to talk, he runs, catches and throws. He was cutting all over the field against the Raiders. LT is the man.

Willis needs to learn how to park the ego and quietly channel that need to be the best into improving his skills and his output. Willis is in his second year. Respect the game and the competition. If I remember correctly, last year the Bills lost a close one to the Raiders in Oakland which was one of those games that the Bills coulda' and shoulda'. Don't give any team an unnecessary edge.

Alexander is no slouch either.

At this point (and I can hear the howls of protest already) Willis hasn't proved he's better than Travis Henry ......... he needs to keep the "Better than LT" talk to a minimum.

to borrow a phrase .......... just perform baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the AP (and some Oakland area paper):

5.  Back when the Bills started their run-up to four consecutive AFC titles, it seems like the same thing happened.  They started winning, and you heard individual players talking about themselves and their talent.  Then, when things really jelled, every word out of their mouths was about the Bills.  That has to happen again--even for this team to get out of the 2005 season with a respectable (read: .500+) and set itself up for a playoff run in 2006.

481909[/snapback]

I sort of agree, but remember the controversy before the second Super Bowl (against the Redskins)? Thurman was insulted because one of the media types referred to Jim Kelly as the Michael Jordan of football...Thurman said that he was the Michael Jordan of football....and when he said it, it wasn't in a kidding way, but more of an "I have been dissed, now I am po'd" kind of way...Kelly and Thurman were both pretty petty and imature early in their careers, but grew into team guys late in their careers. Unfortunately, guys like Bruce and Andre (both great players) got more selfish with age, even as their skills were in decline...Thurman and Jimbo seemed to realize that they were running out of chances to win it all, while Reed and Smith seemed more concerned about their own personal stature in and the level of "respect" they were getting in the leauge...

IKelly and Thurman were both pretty petty and imature early in their careers, but grew into team guys late in their careers.    Unfortunately, guys like Bruce and Andre (both great players) got more selfish with age, even as their skills were in decline...

481992[/snapback]

I can put up with the "smack talk" from players who are playing great.

I can even put up with a certian amount of smack talk from guys who were great.

I just have problems with guys saying they are great before they've shown a glimmer of greatness.

---3. However, I was more than a little annoyed to read this. The Bills need to eat their cheeseburgers, go into the "Black Hole" (ha), be very business-like and take apart the Raiders. Period. Then get back on the damned plane, take a day off and prepare for the Patriots. They DO NOT need to give the Raiders D--which admittedly is not very good--a rallying point to kick their asses.

This does not matter to me. If Mike Tyson from the street tells Brian Moorman they're the best damn street fighter period, is Brian Moorman going to be able to beat his arsse because he's more motivated?

The guy is a stud RB. I have no problem with his confidence.

A couple of revealing examples of his character:

1. The way he came back from the devastating knee injury;

2. He gave his first TD ball to Shelton;

3. He did not B word and moan when MM tried to divert blame away from JP and on to him;

4. He does not B word and moan when the line is not opening up holes for him;

5. He seems to go out of his way to credit other players like the o-line (even when they do not necessarily deserve it);

6. Some people criticized his TD celebration last week. Yet, his typical celebration has been to share the celebration with the fans by jumping into the end zone seats.

The guy is just the kind of RB that this team needs. Whether he is the best, I cannot say. Nevertheless, he has the rare combination of size, strength, and running ability that few backs in the NFL have or ever have had.