"you gotta ride the horse, baby"?

jester43

This is a game afterall, so what's wrong with some celebrating? I have no problem with it at all, it adds flavor

477960[/snapback]

Exactly! Good post. This is, after all the entertainment business. Football is also a game of emotion. Why be unemotional! Relative to the amount of times they touch the ball, RB's don't get in the endzone THAT often. They pay the price getting their arse kicked on every play, a little celebration at paydirt is not uncalled for. :w00t:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how about we just win the games and care less about a touchdown dance?...cincy hasnt been distracted by chad hohnson's antics..they just get the job done...its not like a little dance by willis will shock the inner core of the bills gameplay..let it be and dance it up willis

When you people play football with your buddies, do you go through the whole game with no emotion? If you score a TD do you just drop the ball and say "The score is now 5 touchdowns to 6". No, you probably have a good time and joke around and celebrate when you score and trash talk. It's called ENJOYING the game. He didn't taunt anyone. He did nothing disrespectful. He's just having a good time in a Bills uni. I for one have no problem with it.

I almost peed myself when he did "the cowboy."

Kidding around, I sometimes do a variation of "the cowboy" when I'm out in public. It embarasses the hell out of whomever you're with.

They showed a clip of Willis dancing on CBS, before he scored a td. At that point, I wanted him to score so bad, just to see what he'd do.

And I am not ashamed to admit that I started yelling, "smack that ass Willis", while he was doing it. It was in a completely heterosexual manner, of course. :w00t:

i loved willis's little dance. Endzone celebreations are great, and add some comedy for the game. Handing the ball to the ref is so boring, why not make it interesting and get the fans interest. Plus, always can use more ideas for TD celebrations in flag football :blink:

477954[/snapback]

When I hear comments like that, it tells me you're not a true dyed in the wool old school football fan. I've heard "casual fans" (usually football challenged and disinterested women)say how much they like the dances. I guess when you can't grasp the basic concepts and rules of the game, those silly little softshoe numbers are probably your favorite part of the event.

Those sort of antics are best left for the idiocy of WWF wrestling.

Football does not need comedy added to it. It is arguably the greatest team sport on the planet and having it's integrity compromised by those celebrations rubs me the wrong way. It also makes the participants look like total fools.

What's always amazed me is how athletes like Deion Sanders try so hard to be ultra cool, and then he does the f'ing gayest dance since the Cristina Ricca bowling alley scene in Buffalo '66. Deion's faggy little dance against Buffalo a few years ago now lives on in commercial ads as the computerized image plastic faced Burger King.

Maybe Willis's horsey act will be computerized and turned into an Arby's commerical. "Want some horsey sauce with that sir?"

When I hear comments like that, it tells me you're not a true dyed in the wool old school football fan. I've heard "casual fans" (usually football challenged and disinterested women)say how much they like the dances. I guess when you can't grasp the basic concepts and rules of the game, those silly little softshoe numbers are probably your favorite part of the event.

Football does not need comedy added to it. It is arguably the greatest team sport on the planet and having it's integrity compromised by those celebrations rubs me the wrong way. It also makes the participants look like total fools.

What's always amazed me is how athletes like Deion Sanders try so hard to be ultra cool, and then he does the f'ing gayest dance since the Cristina Ricca bowling alley scene in Buffalo '66. Deion's faggy little dance against Buffalo a few years ago now lives on in commercial ads as the computerized image plastic faced Burger King.

Maybe Willis's horsey act will be computerized and turned into an Arby's commerical. "Want some horsey sauce with that sir?"

478206[/snapback]

I guess teams aren't allowed to have fun. When you were younger, and played some kind of sport with your buddies at recess, did you at all celebrate with your friends in any way? Or did you walk back to class saying "Don't get too cocky guys, we should have won that game today. There are still 130 school days to go, we've got to act like we've won before." I like the players to look at the sport as a sport, not as a job. The more fun you have, the better you play.

how cool would it be if our stud running back would just flip the ball to the ref and jog back to the sideline after a TD like it was his JOB to do that?  i know showboating expected in today's NFL, but that was embarrassing. 

of course, when one of your "team leaders" celebrates getting off the field on third down by doing the friggin lambeau leap vs. miami, you should pretty much expect what we got from mcgahee after that score.

i honestly think these guys would do the team a favor by toning it down a little.  personally, i think it's totally BADASS to just act like it's just another day at the office when you make big plays.  it's like my 2nd favorite coach (after marv)says:  winning is an attitude.  when you go berserk just because you've done your job, that tells the world that it is UNUSUAL for you to do so...NOT how a would-be playoff team should behave, imo.

maybe it is asking too much, but i want this team to carry itself like, "well, yeah, OF COURSE we scored on your asses!"  then i'll know we have real leadership, and that these guys truly believe.

477863[/snapback]

With out reading one post after this one I'm going to say that while I see your point, I think you are wrong. Most of these guys are young and have testosterone blaring from every orifice. To be overrun with excitement when you make a game changing play with 77,000 people cheering for you is acceptable in my opinion. Does it show the best sportsmanship or the most class? Probabily not but these are guys who get excited about making plays can't be condemned for it.

Willis had a great game and isn't one of those guys who gets up every down and throws his hand forward for a first down. To this point he hasn't had nearly as good a season as most of us predicted. For pete's sake look at my quote. I just hope he gets 800 yrds with 8 td's at this point. If he gets excited good. Maybe it will get him going.

T_R

I guess teams aren't allowed to have fun.  When you were younger, and played some kind of sport with your buddies at recess, did you at all celebrate with your friends in any way?  Or did you walk back to class saying "Don't get too cocky guys, we should have won that game today.  There are still 130 school days to go, we've got to act like we've won before."  I like the players to look at the sport as a sport, not as a job.  The more fun you have, the better you play.

478211[/snapback]

So, by that reasoning, if Willis and the boys come riding down your street on bicycles with training wheels and balloons rattling in the spokes, you don't have a problem with that, right?

And by the way... no, I didn't celebrate when I scored or made a good play as a kid. I just did it and got back to the team for the next play or kickoff.

478206[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that the way you appreciate football is the only way football should be appreciated? Isn't that a little self-centered? You're right, they might not be a "true dyed in the wool, old school football fan." But that doesn't automatically make them any less of a fan, as you go on to suggest derogatively. Frankly, the way some of you try to classify people as greater or lesser fans is trivial and silly anyway.

478206[/snapback]

That't probabily the best line I've heard on here in a long time but I think it's pretty crazy to say one isn't a fan if they like celebrations. I think it's a signature almost. How many people on here could STILL do the Icky Shuffle?

I'm one.

T_R

Perhaps if we actually rode that horse a lot in a couple earlier games he wouldn't have had to remind people that you gotta ride that horse. :blink:

On the other hand, I think it was after that TD, Mario Haggan was going berserk in the opposite red zone and end zone trying to get the fans juiced up for the ensuing kickoff. And then did a lambeau leap into the stands just before they lined up for the kick. Normally I am not for excess celebrations but I kinda liked it. he did get the fans into the game and to cheer more with him. He got the rest of the KO team a little more fired up. It worked.

Until, of course, they actually kicked off, and Justin Miller brought it back 40 yards to midfield and nearly broke it. :D

People get too uptight over players enjoying themselves on the field.  Sure they can go overboard (see T.O.) but a guy doing a little dance after a score is no big deal.

477865[/snapback]

It goes well beyond a "little dance", it is direspectful to the game and especially to the other team. Plain and simple it is poor sportsmanship.

It goes well beyond a "little dance", it is direspectful to the game and especially to the other team.  Plain and simple it is poor sportsmanship.

478328[/snapback]

I could go without it, but if he's not showing up the opponent or dancing around like that clown Jerome Bettis after a 3 yard run, I can't say it really bothers me.

'Course, it doesn't bother me when an opponent does a little dance after they beat us for 6 either. I'm generally too bothered that we gave up the score to care about end zone antics at that point in time.

478206[/snapback]

I see, so just because i was born in 1981, and got completely into football when i was 7 in 1988, and have been a die hard bills fan ever since, and happen to like celebrations, i am not a real football fan? I guess i'm "football challenged" as you so eloquently put it.

Celebrations when you get a first down in the 2nd quarter could be done away with, but when you score, have some fun. Know what? I LIKED T.O.'s Sharpie celebration and thought it was original, Moss's mooning was funny, and Chad Johnson is great with his celebrations.

Know why we celebrate in flag football when we score?...BECAUSE ITS FUN!!! Which is whats sports are about, getting together with friends, competing, and having fun.

Sorry if i like some excitement in my football. I'll leave you alone to eat your plain potato chips, saltine crackers, vanilla ice cream, drink water, and watch your "old school", "real" football.

I also thought McGahee's dance was hilarious. Too be fair, McGahee has never done anything like that before. Usually he kneels down to pray, or he jumps into the crowd. It's not like McGahee does this every time he scores.

In general it does not bother me when players do end zone celebrations, although I find Terrell Owens & Steve Smith's celebrations a bit weird.

I don't care for players celebrating for making a tackle, or for making a first down. When I see that I yell at the t.v., "CELEBRATE WHEN YOU'VE ACTUALLY WON THE GAME!!!"

If it's up to me, I prefer Thurman's "celebration" -- hand the ball to the ref like "yo, what's up dude, it's just me again."

But people celebrate in different ways.  I don't much care for Willis' horse-riding antics, and I have to admit I cringed when Biscuit or Bruce did their sack dances, but hey, that's them.  As long as it doesn't draw a taunting penalty by being directed at an opposing player, let them do what they want.

I have a lot less respect for the Alvin Harper types who celebrate a mundane catch at the 45-yard-line as if they just scored the game-winning TD, though.

477941[/snapback]

With regards to Willis I prefer the Lambeau leap (Ralph romps?) into the end zone crowd as opposed to his little pony ride. That being said I will always prefer a player like Thurman who tosses the ball to the ref - I never got tired of seeing that.

I saw an Alvin Harper like celebration in the Texans game last nite when one of the Texans sacked Hasselback and started doing a dance - and his team is down 28 -10 at the time (35-10 a few plays later). What a tool.