I used to really like Mike Schopp

Kgun5

...and I still really like Jerry Sullivan, though I'm sure that will draw the ire of many here. But when the hell did he decide that he had to be a condecending jackass to every caller that expresses an opinion on the post game show?

I realize that marriage can ruin your life, but geez.

Aparently he thinks we all should be fellatiating the Bills after today's performance, and anyone with a complaint is either drunk or doesn't watch football.

Here's a big "SCREW YOU" to a real ass. Maybe if you didn't talk over every caller, they might be able to back up the opinions that you consider to be so baseless.

He's an even bigger Jackass now that he is on TV. He is on SportsExtra every Sunday now. I actually know him and he is just as big of a tool off the radio than he is on it. I dislike the guy a great deal so I don't feel bad saying that he should stick to radio (preferably somewhere other than Buffalo) because all the makeup in the world can't hide the fact that he looks like he got hit in the face with a big bag of hot asphalt. He knows nothing about sports but now he is a big shot so he can talk down to all the callers. He even does that to Jim Kelly on Monday afternoons. I can't even listen to him for more than 5 minutes anymore and I don't watch SportsExtra now either. Bulldog would be much better off either by himself or with someone who had a shred of talent.

I think Mike is getting tired of the radio gig. It sure sounds like it to me when I listen a few days during the week. He just sounds like he is tired of all the callers and none of them are good enough or know anything about football.

... when the hell did he decide that he had to be a condecending jackass to every caller that expresses an opinion on the post game show?

470704[/snapback]

I've noticed that too, since the season started. It's unfortunate; when he was on WNSA he was great, and he still was at least good when he started with WGR. Now, it seems like Bulldog is calming Schopp down, instead of the other way 'round.

Too bad. Schopp had some insight and talent.

I totally agree. I used to really like him, too, but within the last month, I have actually started to hate him........Every post game he belittles every caller. One week if they have something positive to say about the Bills, and now this week if they have something negative to say.

All week for the last weeks he encourages fans not to go to games anymore. That's great - the one thing to feel good about is fan attendance, and he wants that to stop. Does he think he'll have a job talking sports in this town if the Bills leave?

The only thing worse was his draft day coverage. He didn't want to be there, and he hates the draft, and that's all he basically talked about the whole time.

Then, the last few weeks, it all revolves how GR is treated by the Bills. The Ron Mexico t shirt thing, etc. and the fact they are not sponsors. This went on for 6 straight days.

90% talk about some guy getting kicked out for having a GR t shirt, and maybe 10% about the stuff I actually care about - the playing of football.

He can be funny and smart, but now he's totally losing me. Those two really miss Greg Bauch, too. He was hilarious.l

...and I still really like Jerry Sullivan, though I'm sure that will draw the ire of many here.  But when the hell did he decide that he had to be a condecending jackass to every caller that expresses an opinion on the post game show?

I realize that marriage can ruin your life, but geez.

Aparently he thinks we all should be fellatiating the Bills after today's performance, and anyone with a complaint is either drunk or doesn't watch football.

Here's a big "SCREW YOU" to a real ass.  Maybe if you didn't talk over every caller, they might be able to back up the opinions that you consider to be so baseless.

470704[/snapback]

His MENSA membership gives him that right. It's printed right on the back of his members card.

PTR

I went to high school with Mike. He was a good guy and did all the play-by-play for the sports teams. I'm pretty sure he wanted to get into sports broadcasting and play-by-play. I haven't caught his radio gig since I'm not in Buffalo anymore. He always knew a lot about sports but I don't ever remember him being condescending. Guess "sports talk radio" does that to ya.

RTB

I went to high school with Mike. He was a good guy and did all the play-by-play for the sports teams. I'm pretty sure he wanted to get into sports broadcasting and play-by-play. I haven't caught his radio gig since I'm not in Buffalo anymore. He always knew a lot about sports but I don't ever remember him being condescending. Guess "sports talk radio" does that to ya.

RTB

471505[/snapback]

So he has been a jock sniffer since high school? Figures.

Bulldog would be much better off either by himself or with someone who had a shred of talent.

471370[/snapback]

Bring back Chuck Dickerson !!

(I have always hated Schopp since the first day I heard him on WNSA. Now WGR has the other WNSA idiot, too...Howard Simon! :w00t:;):doh::blink::w00t:)

His MENSA membership gives him that right.  It's printed right on the back of his members card.

PTR

471421[/snapback]

The MENSA membership also entitles him to talk endlessly about baseball even though 95% of his listening public could care less except for playoff time.

The Bulldog is the less polished of the two, but Joe fan can relate to him a lot better than some condescending guy with a photographic memory for stats.

Schopp rots. Like I always say about people who cover sports, it's my Allen Iverson retort........ It's a game. It's a game. It's not like it's real life, it's a game! We're talking about a game!

I was a reporter and started in local high school sports and quickly realized, what a waste of a career, covering something as meaningless as sports. So I quit. It has no measureable effect on anyone's life. The profession is popualted with blowhard former high school bench warmers trying to live vicariously through their career. It's strictly entertainment and to get as worked up about is as tools like Schopp is disgusting.

Don't give the guy so much credit. If he was as smart and motivated as his linguistic skills and stat-regurgitation has you believing, why is he working in Buffalo? I can read a dictionary as well and spoend my pathetic life disgesting stats. But who cares. It's all so meaningless, which is why I stopped listen to sports radio.

I mean, he can dish all the crap on professional football players, because somehow criticizing them is OK. So Mike, how great are you? You're not even in the big leagues. This is the minors. And last I looked, this is a one station town, not exactly the place where someone with credibility and skills gets noticed for rising to the top!

I'd put my vocabulary, math, stats and masters degree against this tool anyday. But you what, I could care less. The difference is, he thinks he knosw everything, and I know I don't. But I do know more than him!

Don't shortchange yourself. Call this jerk and stand up for yourself. If he hangs up, you won! That's his reply when he knows he's wrong. He uses his radio signal as his fists, he's the bully. Man, he must have been such a dork in school, which is why it's payback time for the pro athletes and callers.

I think Mike is getting tired of the radio gig. It sure sounds like it to me when I listen a few days during the week. He just sounds like he is tired of all the callers and none of them are good enough or know anything about football.

471379[/snapback]

Funny you mention that. I started thinking the very same thing a while back.

He either needs a vacation or a job change. His fuse with callers is getting shorter by the day.

He can be very difficult to listen to..

Funny you mention that.  I started thinking the very same thing a while back. 

He either needs a vacation or a job change.  His fuse with callers is getting shorter by the day.

472080[/snapback]

WGR needs change once again.

The MENSA membership also entitles him to talk endlessly about baseball even though 95% of his listening public could care less except for playoff time.

The Bulldog is the less polished of the two, but Joe fan can relate to him a lot better than some condescending guy with a photographic memory for stats.

471998[/snapback]

Since we are piling on WGR here, I caught some of the UB/Akron game they broadcast. It sounded like someone had the crowd mic tiurned up too loud and Howard Simon and his partner (name anyone?) had to shout over the over-amplified background noise. The louder Simon & Co. tried to yell, the louder the noise became, as if their produced was trying to drown them out! It was downright comical. :rolleyes:

This is a major market radio station owned by a major broadcasting company, and this game sounded like it was being produced by middle-school kids. It also amazes me that command of the English language is no longer a job requirement in broadcasting.

PTR

His fuse with callers is getting shorter by the day.

472080[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.........and, I used to really like him.

He just keeps dismissing every caller, esp. on the post game show.

I've noticed that too, since the season started.  It's unfortunate; when he was on WNSA he was great, and he still was at least good when he started with WGR.  Now, it seems like Bulldog is calming Schopp down, instead of the other way 'round.

Too bad.  Schopp had some insight and talent.

471384[/snapback]

The funniest part is to watch him be this meek, mild little Casper Milktoast-kind of guy on his Sunday night TV gig on WGRZ....then act like hot **** on the radio. :rolleyes:

Don't give up the day job, Mike...

The funniest part is to watch him be this meek, mild little Casper Milktoast-kind of guy on his Sunday night TV gig on WGRZ....then act like hot **** on the radio. :rolleyes:

Don't give up the day job, Mike...

472552[/snapback]

WGR 55 is poison= everything they touch turns to absolute garbage. I miss the guy that used to be on Empire, cause the joke thats on every morning sure isn't him.

I totally agree.  I used to really like him, too, but within the last month, I have actually started to hate him........Every post game he belittles every caller.  One week if they have something positive to say about the Bills, and now this week if they have something negative to say.

He can be funny and smart, but now he's totally losing me.  Those two really miss Greg Bauch, too.  He was hilarious.l

471420[/snapback]

Greg Bauch was very good. The new guy the pd brought in sucks. I have also noticed that an intern must be at the controls. Dead air time or 2 voices on air seem to be common place lately. Very proffesional!

I believe I have heard more than one sports talk guy on air say how they dislike their job. Problems brewing at gr?????

I've listened to Schopp since he was in Rochester. I liked him in Rochester, to a lesser degree on WNSA and almost can't stand him now. "Doppe and the Poodle" have no clue about real football discussions. They pick up the obvious or mimic someone else's statements. And on the off chance they do have an original thought it is so bizarre you have to wonder about their mental stability. What they seem to have forgotten is that they are talk show HOSTS. It is not about their opinion, or whether they are right or wrong, or agree or disagree. It is about TALKING, the callers AND them not just the Doppe and the Poodle.