That call for Wade ...

Greybeard

that I read earlier below somewhere is interesting. The one thing I seem to remember about Wade's teams were they seemed to quit. About the only thing good I can remember about GW teams is that they never quit.

Why mention this? This team is looking like one of Wade's teams.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the hell did you ever get the idea that Wade's team quit? I never bared witness to that.

Wade's problem is he didn't place a high priority on special teams and never personally got involved with them. That, plus he was unwilling to step in and take control of internal player strife. Other than that, he did very well with the players that he was given.

that I read earlier below somewhere is interesting.  The one thing I seem to remember about Wade's teams were they seemed to quit.  About the only thing good I can remember about GW teams is that they never quit.

Why mention this?  This team is looking like one of Wade's teams.

463922[/snapback]

I don't remember it that way at all...in fact, one thing I will give the Phillips era staff, over any in recent history (from Hank Bullough on!), is a great ability to make adjustments on the fly. Because Wade was who he is, I think he was pretty underrated as our HC! It was his clash with the owner that got him fired, not his teams lack of performance.

I don't remember it that way at all...in fact, one thing I will give the Phillips era staff, over any in recent history (from Hank Bullough on!), is a great ability to make adjustments on the fly.  Because Wade was who he is, I think he was pretty underrated as our HC!  It was his clash with the owner that got him fired, not his teams lack of performance.

463998[/snapback]

Agreed about making adjustments on the fly (4-3, 3-4 who do we have who's healthy? and he made it work).

The thing that doomed Wade was the Home Run Throw Forward. If that doesn't happen, Bruce DeHaven is STILL the Bills' special teams coach and idiot boy with the cones is still an assistant college coach or pool boy or whatever but not an assistant with the Bills. And Wade would never have been put in the position of defending idiot boy or keeping his job. He probably would have lost his job a couple of years later when the wheels fell off in the salary cap purge, but he wouldn't have been gone before Donahoe showed up.

It didn't help Wade with the "disciples" that he couldn't get Dickerson off his case about wearing headphones. (The funny thing about that is I was going through an old junk drawer and found the Wade Phillips tickets that the Bills gave out at the Rams game and Wade was wearing headphones on those.)

Dave.

Agreed about making adjustments on the fly (4-3, 3-4 who do we have who's healthy? and he made it work).

The thing that doomed Wade was the Home Run Throw Forward.  If that doesn't happen, Bruce DeHaven is STILL the Bills' special teams coach and idiot boy with the cones is still an assistant college coach or pool boy or whatever but not an assistant with the Bills.  And Wade would never have been put in the position of defending idiot boy or keeping his job.  He probably would have lost his job a couple of years later when the wheels fell off in the salary cap purge, but he wouldn't have been gone before Donahoe showed up.

It didn't help Wade with the "disciples" that he couldn't get Dickerson off his case about wearing headphones.  (The funny thing about that is I was going through an old junk drawer and found the Wade Phillips tickets that the Bills gave out at the Rams game and Wade was wearing headphones on those.)

Dave.

464005[/snapback]

Yeah, it was loyalty at stake there. Props to Wade as he stood his ground and still took the old man's money in the end. He did a hell of a job with Atlanta's defense and with the team in general when Reeves got sh!ttcanned. I think there is one word that can sum up the Bills since the end of the Kelly era - uncertainty.

Uncertainty at GM, HC, QB, ST (not applicable this year), OL, RB (also not applicable this year), and just for Dan Gross - owner.

I assume you are being sarcastic considering how it was clear that the Bills quit on GW in that 31-0 loss against the Patriots to end his tenure, while the Bills played all out and routed the Seahawks in Wade's last game.

Wade supposedly stupid for not wearing head phones and not handling the QB situation correctly while getting to the playoffs.

TD's coaches are smart despite not handling the QB situation well and not getting to the playoffs because they wear head phones?

At least with Wade the Bills never had a losing season.  Never!  His defense seemed to shut down the defending Super Bowl champs yesterday too!

463925[/snapback]

Wade is a great defensive mind, and a great guy

that I read earlier below somewhere is interesting.  The one thing I seem to remember about Wade's teams were they seemed to quit.  About the only thing good I can remember about GW teams is that they never quit.

Why mention this?  This team is looking like one of Wade's teams.

463922[/snapback]

I don't know how you came up with the idea that Wade's team quit. Wade might have made some questionable coaching moves but to call Wade Phillips's team quiters is incorrect.

Wade Phillips all time record as Bills Head Coach: 29 -19, second only to Marv in winning percentage.

As Dave B. pointed out it was his hiring of a completely inept ST coach after DeHaven's firing that was a poor career choice for Wade. Add in the RJ/Flutie QB controversy and it was time to go.

The fact is he could have taken a Bills team to the Super Bowl were it not for the forward lateral in Tennesee. Wade wasn't a bad coach - he looks even better when compared to the coaches that have come through town since his departure.

I thought TD wanted to bring in his guy.  Thought Wade got shafted, and ultimately so did the Bills.

464063[/snapback]

It is my understanding that TD wanted Ralph to get rid of Wade before he would take the job so that he could hire his own guy.