That call for Wade ...

Greybeard

I think the main complaint with wade was his handling of the Flutie / Johnson situation. That was a disgusting mess. Only idiot talk show hosts really cared about wearing a headset.

I liked wade, but he made some crucial mistakes.

464439[/snapback]

Please explain how you think that Wade mishandled the QB situation.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that TD wanted Ralph to get rid of Wade before he would take the job so that he could hire his own guy.

464128[/snapback]

my understanding is that added to what you say donohoe didn't want to fire wade because he liked him personally. he made ralph do it instead before taking the job.

I will agree that Wade had a very strong loyalty to his friend, but there is NO WAY that guy should have been anywhere near an NFL sideline.  Ronnie Jones took one of the best special teams units in the league and made it just about the worst.  Wade had no problem with making DeHaven the scape goat for the home run throw forward and then replacing him with a guy with no special teams experience.  He should have been willing to tell his friend, "hey, sorry, we tried.  Go back to college for a few years, get some more experience and maybe I can bring you in as a quality control coach."  Actually, the ST coach he should have refused to fire was DeHaven.

Didn't Wade want to move Jones to Linebackers Coach?  I can just imagine how that thought process must have worked.  "Well, we've got a good linebacking corp, heck they're almost as good as special teams used to be.  Ronnie can't f*** that one up, can he?"  Sorry Wade, I think he could have.

Overall, I think Wade did a good job.  It's a d*mn shame that one more than likely illegal fluke play ended up lining up the dominoes on him.

Dave.

464312[/snapback]

this is right - wade wanted to move him to LB coach. for those who don't know, that was his natural coaching role. jones was also the defensive coordinator for buddy ryan's cardinals in the early-mid 90s, and oversaw a unit that was #3 overall one year. so in retrospect, wade moving him to lb coach wasn't so crazy. it was more like recognizing a job mismatch mistake and correcting it. moreoevr, ralph was in take no prisoners mode after the butler/aj smith meltdown and the flutie/johnson issue. fwiw, wade was a pretty good soldier about that, especially after ralph ordered him to start johnson against the titans.

Please explain how you think that Wade mishandled the QB situation.

464489[/snapback]

Hello? Are you there? Did you watch that season? Do you realize how divided the locker room was? Do you remember the homerun throwback? His statement that he had "two starting QBs"? That the Bills paid 5 mil / yr to two QBs! That he couldn't choose one?

Yeah, that QB situation is probably the best example of poor skill-position player management I've ever seen.

Boy, talk about revisionist history.  Wade was to coaching what DB is to QB-ing...you'll never win anything meaningful with either guy.    I gave up my season tix because of Wade's boneheaded coaching his last year.  He is NOT the answer as a HC.

464485[/snapback]

you've GOT to be kidding.

1998 - 11-5 (as always, i'm counting the "just give it to them" game as a win) and an extremely close loss on the road against miami.

1999 - 11-5 with one playoff victory (i count home run lateral forward as a victory)

2000 - 7-4 before losing 30% of the defense to injury in the first half against tampa.

my understanding is that added to what you say donohoe didn't want to fire wade because he liked him personally. he made ralph do it instead before taking the job.

464658[/snapback]

Link please.

Hello? Are you there? Did you watch that season? Do you realize how divided the locker room was? Do you remember the homerun throwback? His statement that he had "two starting QBs"? That the Bills paid 5 mil / yr to two QBs! That he couldn't choose one?

Yeah, that QB situation is probably the best example of poor skill-position player management I've ever seen.

464669[/snapback]

sorry todd, but that was primarily due to wilson. wilson *ordered* phillips to start johnson against tenn, and the next year as well. of course, it didn't help matters when flutie outplayed johnson in 2000. i'll grant you that it did rip apart the team.

464669[/snapback]

I was there. Were you? You still have not given me a reason. What does the "homerun throw up" have to do with mismanaging the QB situation? What does management's decisions to pay QBs have to do with the HC mismanaging the QB situation.

The fact is that Wade won with both QBs.

sorry todd, but that was primarily due to wilson. wilson *ordered* phillips to start johnson against tenn, and the next year as well.  of course, it didn't help matters when flutie outplayed johnson in 2000.  i'll grant you that it did rip apart the team.

464677[/snapback]

Link please. I'd like to see BS like that documented.

I was there. Were you?  You still have not given me a reason.  What does the "homerun throw up" have to do with mismanaging the QB situation?  What does management's decisions to pay QBs have to do with the HC mismanaging the QB situation.

The fact is that Wade won with both QBs.

464682[/snapback]

Good God. If you don't think that the QB situation was mismanaged, you're not much use in terms of talking with.

464669[/snapback]

In Wade's defense, neither QB was anything to write home about

Link please. I'd like to see BS like that documented.

464684[/snapback]

of course you know there isn't a link, but it was alluded to in a number of outlets and pendry indicated that it was the case. you can go ahead and not trust me or whatever, but i have no reason to make this stuff up. phillips' sparse comments about it afterwards also indicated (if you can read between the lines) that flutie was his guy. phillips isn't a backstabber, and in any event he's certainly not going to jeopardize his future as a head coach candidate by calling out an old guard owner. i mean come on.

you've GOT to be kidding.

1998 - 11-5 (as always, i'm counting the "just give it to them" game as a win) and an extremely close loss on the road against miami.

1999 - 11-5 with one playoff victory (i count home run lateral forward as a victory)

2000 - 7-4 before losing 30% of the defense to injury in the first half against tampa.

464672[/snapback]

Sounds like quite a few excuses there. Counting losses as victory? Please.

Isn't 2000 the year that wade said "we're out of the playoffs" even though we statistically weren't? Indy was in the same boat, but they actually made the playoffs. It was sickening to see a coach give up like that.

Good God. If you don't think that the QB situation was mismanaged, you're not much use in terms of talking with.

464687[/snapback]

You keep saying that but you cannot even articulate a reason.

He won with both QBs.

P.S. The offense had that game won in Tennessee. If it were not for that BS call (and poor judgment on the kick coverage), we would have been the team that went to the SB.

You keep saying that but you cannot even articulate a reason.

He won with both QBs.

P.S.  The offense had that game won in Tennessee.  If it were not for that BS call (and poor judgment on the kick coverage), we would have been the team that went to the SB.

464702[/snapback]

If you were officiating the game, you would understand better how difficult of a call that was-its not their fault we lost, we couldnt overcome what happened

Sounds like quite a few excuses there. Counting losses as victory? Please.

Isn't 2000 the year that wade said "we're out of the playoffs" even though we statistically weren't? Indy was in the same boat, but they actually made the playoffs. It was sickening to see a coach give up like that.

464699[/snapback]

i'll certainly grant you the "we're basically out of the playoffs" comment, which was dumb. however, if you can sit there and say that the NE game wasn't actually a bills win, well then, you're simply not a bills fan. that was without exaggeration the most obvious robbery in bills history. the bills won -- case closed.

as for home run forward lateral, it wasn't as clear cut, but it was certainly clear cut enough. that was no throwback. the worst was the angle they used -- a camera on the 20 yard line five yards behind the play which totally warped that simpleton phil luckett's view. granted, they still should have covered it, but it was an illegal play. if the right call was made, the bills would have won. it's pretty goddamn simple.

If you were officiating the game, you would understand better how difficult of a call that was-its not their fault we lost, we couldnt overcome what happened

464710[/snapback]

Literally as the play was unfolding, I told my buddy not to worry because it would be called back. It was obvious to me at least.

As I also commented in the previous post, we used poor judgment by not staying in our lanes.

:) Now THAT's the kind of Bills' fan that you want to knock back a few beers with on gameday. :)