TD is in a box

jahnyc

Is it the talent or the coaching (or both)? TD had a second chance to get his guy. This time it was MM, and I have doubts about his abilities. Poor play callling and too many penalties. I think we have some talent, and I think an excellent head coach could be successful with this team. There are obvious flaws and problems with this team in terms of talent, but MM and T. Clements do not inspire confidence and we are stuck, at best, with mediocre coaching. What to do? Well, TD can't fire MM if the team flops this season. He is in the second year of a five year deal and this was TD's choice after another long and exhaustive search. It would be equally as difficult to fire T. Clements. After all, TD complained bitterly that GW should have hired Clements instead of Gilbride.

TD is stuck and so are we.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it the talent or the coaching (or both)?  TD had a second chance to get his guy.  This time it was MM, and I have doubts about his abilities.  Poor play callling and too many penalties.  I think we have some talent, and I think an excellent head coach could be successful with this team.  There are obvious flaws and problems with this team in terms of talent, but MM and T. Clements do not inspire confidence and we are stuck, at best, with mediocre coaching.  What to do?  Well, TD can't fire MM if the team flops this season.  He is in the second year of a five year deal and this was TD's choice after another long and exhaustive search.  It would be equally as difficult to fire T. Clements.  After all, TD complained bitterly that GW should have hired Clements instead of Gilbride. 

TD is stuck and so are we.

462465[/snapback]

Very good points. I have no doubt, however, if the Bills don't get their sh*t together at home agains Miami, somebody will be scapegoated, maybe Gray.

Very good points.  I have no doubt, however, if the Bills don't get their sh*t together at home agains Miami, somebody will be scapegoated, maybe Gray.

462474[/snapback]

The team hasn't hit rock bottom yet. A loss to Miami at home qualifies.

Very good points.  I have no doubt, however, if the Bills don't get their sh*t together at home agains Miami, somebody will be scapegoated, maybe Gray.

462474[/snapback]

I know the defense has not lived near its' own hype, but they are hardly the reason we have lost the last three weeks. They have kept us in all three losses, until late in the game. If the offense can't convert 3rd downs or score points, why would you think that Jerry Gray would be the first one to take the fall for this? I always wondered why we kept Gray, rather than hire LeBau as DC, but that is beside the point now. Until LeBau had gottent there, I thought Gray called a fairly lousy defensive game, aided in part by bad talent. Even last year, when the defense played so well, the players always seemed to mention LeBau as being a big part of their success.

If things play out the way they usually do, I predict, Holcomb is our starter next week. And then, we take it one game at a time. If Holcomb is as wretched as Losman has been (hard to fathom, but possible), we go back to Losman and ride he season out as it is. The simple fact is, it is unlikely that Ralph would fire TD, at this point, if the team has another miserable season (although, ultimately he may be the one who is most culpable). TD's ego (and Ralph's checkbook) wouldn't allow him to fire Mularkey, so Clements would be the next most likely candidate for a beheading. Last year it was Bledsoe, who this year?

I have to admitt, I was really impressed by this coaching staff last year. Four games into the season, I am not ready to write them off yet, but I am starting to have serious questions...it will be intersting, if nothing else, to see how Mularkey handles this. There is a certain unearned arrogance that this franchise seems to be developing, which I think is not good. I think it is coming from above....

I know the defense has not lived near its' own hype, but they are hardly the reason we have lost the last three weeks.  They have kept us in all three losses, until late in the game.

462561[/snapback]

How about their innate ability to stop teams on 3rd and long?

<_<

Joe, get back in line!  <_<

462625[/snapback]

Maybe it is time to just throw the season?

Who knows? JP has been awful, but I'm not hanging it on him. The gameplan's been atrocious, the defense has been weak at best, the OL has stunk and the coaches, well, let's just say Tom Clements should take his Care Bear lunch-box and go home.

Maybe it is time to just throw the season?

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. I prefer to think it will get better.

Who knows? JP has been awful, but I'm not hanging it on him. The gameplan's been atrocious, the defense has been weak at best, the OL has stunk and the coaches, well, let's just say Tom Clements should take his Care Bear lunch-box and go home.

462640[/snapback]

Exactly, you win as a team and you lose as a team. Trying to pin this mess on one person is BS. A lot of people on this team (coaches, players, etc.) need to get their heads out of their a**es and start playing/caoching better. Trying times like these will show what character, if any, some of these players have. Which should make it easier to boot those who don't out the door at the end of the season.

Maybe next year we can hire a few more Pittsburgh cast offs. And draft a few more speedy wide receivers.

462644[/snapback]

I was real sure this staff could turn this around. Now I have my doubts.There seems to be enough talent on the O. Please no more castoffs from Pitts.

I always wondered why we kept Gray, rather than hire LeBau as DC, but that is beside the point now.  Until LeBau had gottent there, I thought Gray called a fairly lousy defensive game, aided in part by bad talent.  Even last year, when the defense played so well, the players always seemed to mention LeBau as being a big part of their success.

462561[/snapback]

the bills did try to keep lebeau - they even offered him the job after the 2002 season! he turned the bills down for pitt, though, after which the bills settled on gray. lebeau has family in pitt and a good, long term relationship with cowher.

How about their innate ability to stop teams on 3rd and long?

:lol:

462621[/snapback]

That was bugging me too, but when you look at the TOP versus scoring, for as long as they have been on the field ( average 31.32) , they haven't given up many points.

The offense needs to control the game, and I don't see that happening.

Why did they abandon the run after the first drive?

That was bugging me too, but when you look at the TOP versus scoring, for as long as they have been on the field ( average 31.32) , they haven't given up many points.

462850[/snapback]

Because there is a team rule that says we can't score more than 10 points per game.

462850[/snapback]

You realize that NO gained their HUGE TOP advantage in the 4th quarter (where they held the ball for 11:17 to the Bills 3:43) when they were trying to control the clock by running the ball. If the D could stop a team that they KNOW is going to run the ball at them and get off the field the TOP wouldn't have been so significant. I'm not absolving the O from their responsibilities (they f'in suck to say the least) I'm just tired of people making excuses for this D.

You realize that NO gained their HUGE TOP advantage in the 4th quarter (where they held the ball for 11:17 to the Bills 3:43) when they were trying to control the clock by running the ball.  If the D could stop a team that they KNOW is going to run the ball at them and get off the field the TOP wouldn't have been so significant.  I'm not absolving the O from their responsibilities (they f'in suck to say the least) I'm just tired of people making excuses for this D.

462881[/snapback]

So the 3 and outs in the 2nd and 3rd quarter have nothing to do with the D being worn out by the 4th quarter?

They held NO to 19 points, come on. Any team should be able to score 3 TDs.

462850[/snapback]

While you are right....the offense contributes to their being on the field so long, they also had plenty of chances to get their asses off the field on 3rd downs too. This happened all through the game, not just the 4th quarter.

See "The Baltimore" plan.