call for "dress code" for NFL coaches ...

merlin

This was sent in by a reader to Peter King's mailbag:

From Christopher Hughes, of Brooklyn, N.Y.: "I think the NFL needs to implement a sidelines dress code for the head coaches. The three who really are making this an issue that must be addressed are Bill Belichick, Mike Mularkey and Mike Sherman. Belichick always looks like a slob. Sherman was wearing this faded green sweatshirt that looked like something he's been wearing to do yard work for the last 10 years -- like one of those sweatshirts that's been your favorite sweatshirt for a decade and your wife is trying to get you to throw out. The worst culprit yesterday was Mularkey, wearing khakis, a white T-shirt and a baseball cap. I thought he was a grounds crew member at first. If the NFL can be so anal when it comes to how the players look on the field, there's no reason it can't do something about the way the coaches are dressed. It wouldn't let Mike Nolan wear a suit, but it'll let Belichick go out there looking like he just rolled out of bed.''

To his credit, Peter King dismissed it as a joke.

Honestly... Hugo Boss or another high price clothing line needs to try to get an exclusive contract for their clothes to be worn by coaches on the field. I think Tags would go for it too, in the contract he would probably get free suits, and at $1200 a pop, i am sure the dozen or so suits he would get would be a heck of an incentive to get something done.

Er, Tom Landry and Hank Stram, anyone?

If you are the titular head, dress sharp...

448215[/snapback]

Then came late last year when the NFL threatened to fine 69ers coach Mike Nolan if he wore a suit on the sideline.

It's a league-mandated thing that coaches dress in polo shirts, team-logo sweatshirts, windbreakers, etc., and look like casual-casual-casual Friday.

This was sent in by a reader to Peter King's mailbag:

From Christopher Hughes, of Brooklyn, N.Y.: "I think the NFL needs to implement a sidelines dress code for the head coaches. The three who really are making this an issue that must be addressed are Bill Belichick, Mike Mularkey and Mike Sherman. Belichick always looks like a slob. Sherman was wearing this faded green sweatshirt that looked like something he's been wearing to do yard work for the last 10 years -- like one of those sweatshirts that's been your favorite sweatshirt for a decade and your wife is trying to get you to throw out. The worst culprit yesterday was Mularkey, wearing khakis, a white T-shirt and a baseball cap. I thought he was a grounds crew member at first. If the NFL can be so anal when it comes to how the players look on the field, there's no reason it can't do something about the way the coaches are dressed. It wouldn't let Mike Nolan wear a suit, but it'll let Belichick go out there looking like he just rolled out of bed.''

To his credit, Peter King dismissed it as a joke.

448170[/snapback]

Who gives two craps what a head coach wears.

I'm not sure who I hate more, the idiot who wrote this tirade or me for reading it and then responding to it!

Then came late last year when the NFL threatened to fine 69ers coach Mike Nolan if he wore a suit on the sideline.

It's a league-mandated thing that coaches dress in polo shirts, team-logo sweatshirts, windbreakers, etc., and look like casual-casual-casual Friday.

448324[/snapback]

I think your are right...money angle...the NFL would extract $$$ out of a funeral procession if they could. :)

Who gives two craps what a head coach wears.

I'm not sure who I hate more, the idiot who wrote this tirade or me for reading it and then responding to it!

448340[/snapback]

It's not only defined what the coaches wear, but also I believe the networks are pretty much required to show a certain number of "logo shots" per game. Gotta make sure to show you who made it in case you want one...

If you are the titular head, dress sharp...

That may be an acceptable mantra in a business scenario where outward appearances can play some role in the resulting efforts of your employees and/or attitudes of your partners.

But I'd much rather Mularkey spend an hour before gametime prepping his players and staff than waste it trying to match the right power tie to his handsome blazer.

Cya

A coach dress code is not only absurd, it actually exists!

Thought I remembered an incident last year and googled it quite easily.

From Chris Carter's Yahoo Sports Column of May 12, 2005

6. Coaches' dress code

The NFL is right: San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan shouldn't be allowed to wear a coat and tie on the sideline. If there's a company uniform, then that person should wear the company uniform. As a player, I wanted to wear a different color sock, even low socks, and wear my jersey cut, but I couldn't do those things.

Of course, we could all guess JP's reaction:  "Awesome!"

448207[/snapback]

And then Mularkey walked in and he was wearing a tight green tube top, and pink flip-flops, his daisey dukes were soooooo tight that I could tell he was wearing a cockring, but the thing that really did it for me was the eyepatch.  I dig pirates man!  It was fuggin awesome man, I was there with Mularkey!.

I'd like to see the coaches @ least have the option to wear a suit if they wish. That probably will never happen though. It is a shame that they'd rather see Belichick look like Bluto than for Nolan to look like the late Hall of Fame coaches Hank Stram and Tom Landry.

I'd like to see the coaches @ least have the option to wear a suit if they wish.  That probably will never happen though.  It is a shame that they'd rather see Belichick look like Bluto than for Nolan to look like the late Hall of Fame coaches Hank Stram and Tom Landry.

449019[/snapback]

Coach Stram was spending some HUGE cash on those threads.