[Early SUW] Coolest car you ever drove?

JÂy RÛßeÒ

300ZX (belonged to a roomate I had), my sister's Jaguar XJ6 convertible and her (now ex) husband's Mercedes convertible (not sure of model).

Probably more applicable for me would be uncool cars - from a variety of my Father's crappy station wagons to my Mom's Chevette. The first car I ever owned I actually co-owned with my brother while in high school - an 'old person' car - an old puke green 4-door Dodge Dart. It was the old story, got it from an old man who didn't put a lot of miles on it. It was actually a good car - and it was so patently uncool for a high school kid to have it actually became cool. Then the next year my brother took it to Geneseo and wrecked it :huh:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My first car was a 1969 Plymouth Sattelite. The car looked like crap but ran like a top and got me everywhere that I needed to go. I once drove it for 6 months without the reverse gear working. Talk about planning ahead before pulling in a parking lot. I think of "Ole Bess" every time I hear Neil Young's "Long May You Run".

A the tender age of 19, a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, model SJ. 428 Cubic inches, and a four speed. Holy $4!t. On one occaision and friend and I tried to "bury" the 150 MPH speedo. We backed down at slighlty over 140 mph. Lucky to be alove. A 1984 Dodge Colt Turbo, a car with all the sophistication of a motorcycle with fouir wheels, incredibly fast, incredibly noisy, incredibly uncomfortable., finally a 1989 Saab 900 turbo, the polar opposite of the Colt, but just as fast. I am lucky to be alive, I now drive a Taurus (wtf!!!). :huh:

1962 Ford Mustang w/ straight 6

If I'n not mistaken, Mustangs didn't come out 'til mid 1964. Do you mean a '72?

BTW, for 'coolest', I'd have to go w/ my very own '68 Charger. Have owned it for 21 years. As for 'exotic', I drove an Excaliber. A previous neighbor of mine was a car salesmen. The Excaliber was basically a (n expensive) kit car built on a (brand new) Camaro chassis. (This was about 1985). They had it at their dealership for promotional purposes. It was surprisingly fast.

My current ride is the coolest b/c if you don't know what it is I'll blow your a$$ away.

1987 Buick Regal Grand National. Totally stock.

She's my baby.

32143[/snapback]

I always loved those Grand Nationals - damned aggressive looking, quite possibly the last true muscle car.

If I'n not mistaken, Mustangs didn't come out 'til mid 1964.  Do you mean a '72?

BTW, for 'coolest', I'd have to go w/ my very own '68 Charger.  Have owned it for 21 years.  As for 'exotic', I drove an Excaliber.  A previous neighbor of mine was a car salesmen.  The Excaliber was basically a (n expensive) kit car built on a (brand new) Camaro chassis.  (This was about 1985).  They had it at their dealership for promotional purposes.  It was surprisingly fast.

32140[/snapback]

No, I actually meant '67. Buddy of mine had it in college.

I was a Mustang freak growing up. Had a 65, 66, 67, 69 and a 70. The 70 was the best. Special addition Mach 1 with 351C, toploader trans, shaker hood scoop, louvered rear window. That thing would fly. Literally.

Close runner up is the M551 Sheridan and the HIMAG armored test bed vehicle. HIMAG was the fastest thing ever to run on tracks. You want excitement? Try something on tracks that weighs about 45 tons and goes 70 MPH.

I was a Mustang freak growing up. Had a 65, 66, 67, 69 and a 70. The 70 was the best. Special addition Mach 1 with 351C, toploader trans, shaker hood scoop, louvered rear window. That thing would fly. Literally.

Close runner up is the M551 Sheridan and the HIMAG armored test bed vehicle. HIMAG was the fastest thing ever to run on tracks. You want excitement? Try something on tracks that weighs about 45 tons and goes 70 MPH.

32222[/snapback]

Did you ever get to run over anything?

1987 Buick Grand National: Roll off the line to about 15MPH then MASH the throttle. As the boost on the turbo hits 15 PSI, the rear wheels break free, the car takes a slight sideways tilt and you get pushed back in your seat.

1980 Firebird Formula: Outfitted with a 400HP Chevy Small Block and a 250HP nitrous bottle, beating Ninja 1000s was commonplace.

1995 Corvette: Fitted with a worked over 500HP Small Block, a six speed manual transmission and .373 gears, this baby was quite a kick in the ass.

These were my buddie's rides.

The best car I ever drove and owned was a dead-stick 1981 Chevy Camaro Z-28. It was slow, because it was stock, but it just OOZED "American Muscle" styling.

Not being a gear head and the fact I have not owned either of these, I can recall the makes just not the years or models; they were:

(a) Jaguar convertible- smooth and truly "lived" at highway speeds.

(B) Baracuda (this was back in early 80's in high school and I do not know anymore than the fact it got over 130 mph and I about stevestojan myself). It was loud like a Harley and had the hood mounted air intake and lots of chrome.