Defense was NOT the problem

PJBrown

The D was pretty darn good in the first half, but when the offense can't get a first down they were simply on the field way too much...in that heat it wore them down. Shades of Miami last year....

I think you'll see a much better team effort this week....

I agree that we will likely see a much better effort this week. But I strongly disagree with the claim that the D should be free of blame.

In fact, I believe the D failed the team in every way. Yes, they were left on the field for a long time on a very hot day. But this Buffalo team is suppose to be built around the defense. That means the D is responsible for more than just a decent first half. The D needs to play well all four quarters. But more importantly, the D is suppose to get a turnover or two. The D is suppose to have big plays to give the Bills offense some momentum to work with. Those things didn't happen. I remember maybe two fairly big plays. But, more importantly, I remember the D crumbling in the run defense, allowing the Bucs to keep the momentum for three quarters of the game.

The D failed in its responsibilities. Maybe too much is being put oin the D's shoulders, but it seemed last week that the Takeo, London, Lawyer, Troy and company were willing to take on those responsibilities.

I posted the below in another thread, but I think we have to keep this in mind. Yes, the D looked average for most of the game (not horrible). But, when considering whether this is a categorical (persistent) issue with the D, or a situational (game-specific) problem, consider the following:

I think we need to consider the circumstances when judging the D's performance yesterday.

1) Fletcher going out was a big hit (he left when the score was 2-0), 1a) the D plays were called in from the sideline (maybe from Fletcher ? :) ) 1b) to Crowell, who was hurt and unable to play last week and may not have been 100% 1c) and Crowell looked like he was playing the playbook, not the opponent. I saw several times he charged through his gap, completely ignoring the ball carrier a over one gap.

2) The heat and time of possession. [A similar injury situation plagued the offense: MW went out, and Jerman was manhandled, leaving CV who was not fit enough to finish last week to man the rightside of the line.]

Additional thought (1d): The speed of calling the D play in from the sidelines was not fast enough. The LBs were often flatfooted, and getting to their spot at the snap - - far from being aggressive. I couldn't tell if the adjusted at all to the change in O formation right before most of the snaps without Fletch there to "QB the D."

If it were just one game, you could attribute it to the heat. But it hasn't been just one game. Several times when this defense plays a decent offense it comes up short. TB didn't just squeak by the defense. TB steam rolled it. Right up the middle. TB said here we come try to stop us and the all time defense said "Ole!" See ya. Statistically, the defense appears to be all world. When it counts the most they seem to come up short.

I guess the question is which is worse -

An elite defense that plays to a mediocre level, or a mediocre offense that plays like horse ca-ca?

446451[/snapback]

Considering this was billed as a defensive battle, you'd expect the Bill's to be stopped often. But since the Bill's D couldn't stop TB much, who had essentially three rookies playing on the line by the way, they limited the chances the offense had.

Therefore I place more of the blame on the defensive side for not making any stops.

Hear are some Eye opening stats through 2 weeks.

Total Offense 29th 29th passing 17th rushing 26th scoring 1st t/o

Total Defense 3rd 1st passing 29th rushing 10th scoring 5th t/o generated

Special teams

kick returns 5th Punt returns 16th

Kick coverage

Kickoffs 21

Coverage 8th

Punt coverage 26th

Punting 22nd

Field GOal % tied 1st

The whole point of this the whole team sucks at this point. Not one part of the Bills game is operating where it was last year at the end of the year.

Therefore I place more of the blame on the defensive side for not making any stops.

446475[/snapback]

:) They stopped TB and forced them to punt on their first four possessions. They gave up a TD before the half, after the Bills offense had managed to go 3 and out 4 times and gave them the safety on the 5th.

After the half, the rested D forced another punt before they just collapsed after another 3 and out by the Bflo offense.

The D did their job, especially when they were something close to fresh. The O didn't help them in field position or time of posession. The O let them down.

:) They stopped TB and forced them to punt on their first four possessions.  They gave up a TD before the half, after the Bills offense had managed to go 3 and out 4 times and gave them the safety on the 5th.

After the half, the rested D forced another punt before they just collapsed after another 3 and out by the Bflo offense.

The D did their job, especially when they were something close to fresh.  The O didn't help them in field position or time of posession.  The O let them down.

446525[/snapback]

Would you disagree that "their job" (as a part of THIS Buffalo team) includes forcing at least one turnover per game and creating momentum for the offense to build on?

Would you disagree that "their job" (as a part of THIS Buffalo team) includes forcing at least one turnover per game and creating momentum for the offense to build on?

446534[/snapback]

No. Especially not when they're on the field for 20-25 minutes of the first half. It's the offense's job to eat clock. Bflo's defense stopped TB every series save for the very last one of the half. Bflo's offense couldn't even manage a first down.

So the defense stops the other guys, but the offense can't get a first down, and you want to pin that on the defense? :)

No.  Especially not when they're on the field for 20-25 minutes of the first half.  It's the offense's job to eat clock.  Bflo's defense stopped TB every series save for the very last one of the half.  Bflo's offense couldn't even manage a first down.

So  the defense stops the other guys, but the offense can't get a first down, and you want to pin that on the defense? :)

446548[/snapback]

Everyone and their brother knew this game was going to come down to which defense wore down first. It was Buffalo's D that wore down first plain and simple. It was the Bucs D that made the big plays to give some energy to their offense.

It was clear from the get-go that the game was in the defenses' hands, so, yes, I put the loss on them.

This is a top 10 defense, but certainly not top 5. Our DL is mediocre. Kelsay and Schobel are good, but not great. In terms of durabiltiy for games like yesterday, Adams is a few cheeseburgers away from a heart attack. Edwards is nothing more than a situational pass rusher in this league.

As outstanding as our back 7 LB's and DB's are, the gameplan for every offense here on out is to keep our D on the field and constantly attack up our gut with the run. When we start putting 8 men in the box, simply uses screens and other short passes to keep our LB's honest.

The 85 Bears we are not. Nor are we the 00 Ravens or the 02 Bucs. Unlike those teams, we cannot win games singlehandedly on defense. JP and Crew need to step up their production big time or this team could fall out of the playoff race by mid-November.

The D was pretty darn good in the first half, but when the offense can't get a first down they were simply on the field way too much...in that heat it wore them down. Shades of Miami last year....

I think you'll see a much better team effort this week....

446441[/snapback]

How many times did you see Griese uncomfortable yesterday? I think once, on Miloy's blitz. Other than that, bupkiss. We played against a QB who has shown a willingness to lose games and we did not pressure him. Whether that's the D or the DC, it sucked.

This is a top 10 defense, but certainly not top 5. Our DL is mediocre. Kelsay and Schobel are good, but not great. In terms of durabiltiy for games like yesterday, Adams is a few cheeseburgers away from a heart attack. Edwards is nothing more than a situational pass rusher in this league.

As outstanding as our back 7 LB's and DB's are, the gameplan for every offense here on out is to keep our D on the field and constantly attack up our gut with the run. When we start putting 8 men in the box, simply uses screens and other short passes to keep our LB's honest.

The 85 Bears we are not. Nor are we the 00 Ravens or the 02 Bucs. Unlike those teams, we cannot win games singlehandedly on defense. JP and Crew need to step up their production big time or this team could fall out of the playoff race by mid-November.

446686[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head. I was laughing at their proclamations last week. Why can't this team ever learn to STFU? When's the last time you were in the playoffs??????? Less talking, more tackling.