Beating Pittsburgh last year did not mean playoffs

I posted something like this before, so I apologize if I am beating a dead horse.

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale. The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker. The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended. The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline. They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis. Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened. But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

And I further contend that the loss gave them extra off season motivation to come out strong this year and make the playoffs.

So there.

yeah seriously... if the bills would have won (they didn't) and received help from the rams (which they did) they would have been in. If the bills would have lost, they were out no matter what. The bills lost. They bit the big one. They choked. They whatever. Bottom line is, win and your in, lose and go home. They lost, bledsoe threw out his children's bills clothes, end of story.

The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

The Bills make me wanna shout! Kick your heels up and shout! Throw your hands up and shout! Throw your head back and shout! C'mon now, the Bills are makin' it happen now. Stand up now c'mon and shout! Yea-ea-eah!

Say you will - Shout it right now baby. Say you will - C'mon, c'mon. Say you will - C'mon and shout. Say you will - Yea-ea-eah!

Shout! Buffalo's happenin' now - Shout! We're on the move now - Shout! The Bills are happenin' now Shout! They're making it happen now - Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! A lot of spirit - Yeah! Shout! We've got the spirit - Shout! Just watch it happen now!

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey! Hey-ey-ey-ey!

Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo! Let's go Buffalo!

435684[/snapback]

What he said!

The important thing for us also in considering this is that the Bills had to know and perform based on the knowledge that if they did not win we would be eliminated. The Bills problems with their performance and response to reality in this game was completely the same whether the Jets won or loss in that the necessity on our part was that WE win and we did not do that.

The FACT and REALITY that the Jets loss merely makes it a reality that IF the Bills had won with the other occurences which happened in reality they would have made the playoffs.

Would reality have been the same if reality were different? No. However this is why fantasy considerations and actually your point are meaningless.

The reality which is meaningful and I think is the point that folks are making is that the Bills were in a must-win game against Pitts and lost. This is the key relevant point which people are making and your point does not change that point based on reality one iota.

I posted something like this before, so I apologize if I am beating a dead horse. 

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale.  The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.  The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended.  The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline.  They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis.  Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened.  But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

And I further contend that the loss gave them extra off season motivation to come out strong this year and make the playoffs.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

Good point but I still have to disagree there. Like some have said the Jets still lost the game. Buffalo had their chance and didn't get it done. This year is a new year.

Did I miss something? We didn't make the playoffs again this year? I knew I was going to drink a lot at the opener, but I don't even remember the season. God I have to stop this heavy drinking.

What? Oh, you idiots are still talking about last year.

I'd like to thank the majority of you who responded for not understanding what I wrote. I also want to thank that guy who called me an idiot.

The Bills game was over and the Jets were congratulating each other on the sidelines, and then let the Rams win.

Anybody who think last year's Rams were better than the Jets doesn't know much about the Rams. They had a horrible defense, as displayed in the playoffs by Atlanta running thru them like they weren't on the field.

That notwithstanding, I am saying that the loss was a good thing, because it gave them a giant chip on their shoulders for the offseason, and they have used that loss as extra motivation. HAD THEY WON THE GAME AND NOT MADE THE PLAYOFFS, THEY WOULD BE MARCHING AROUND ON THE WINGS OF A 10-6 SEASON. THE MOTIVATION WOULD NOT BE THERE.

As I said, I'm sick of reading that had they beat Pittsburgh they would've made the playoffs. Even though the Rams won in overtime, had the Jets had to win the game, I think they would've found a way.

What I could accept is, the Bills losing the final game eliminated them from the playoffs. Which is the opposite of saying had the Bills won they would've made the playoffs.

Based on the final finish of every team, if standings were computed based on us winning the game, then we would have made the playoffs...

People use statistics to highlight their point...One cannot say what really

happened in the Jets game....When players are in the game flow, they are

not going to let down...Bottom line was they had a stinker kicer for the

Jets who cost them the last regular season game as well as their playoffs

game against the steelers.

I still keep reading that the Bills would've made the playoffs if they'd beaten the Steelers in last year's regular season finale.  The truth is, if the Bills won and the Jets won, the Jets made the playoffs because of a tiebreaker.  The Jets were in OT against the Rams when the Bills game ended.  The Jets could've won that game, but you could see a change in their demeanor on the sideline.  They played a conservative overtime, and the Rams beat them.

Nothing is certain, neither the concept that the Bills would've made the playoffs by winning, or that the Jets would've won in overtime in St. Louis.  Because St. Louis was also playing for a spot in the playoffs, anything could've happened.  But I'm saying that the Jets were a much better team than the Rams, and I happen to believe from watching the game that they would've pulled it out, and the Bills beating the Steelers would've been rendered somewhat meaningless.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

That is one of the most stupid things I ever heard.

If Buffalo won, they would have been in the 2005 playoffs.

Give it a rest.

This is the second most stupid thing I've ever heard.

The only thing that is "stupid" is thinking that everything would have been the same had the Bills won. Knowing the Bills had won would have made the Jets play that much harder against an inferior team like the Rams, to ensure their own playoff berth, because they knew the Colts would rest their starters against the Broncos.

how can that be when you have 824 posts?  :w00t:

We have read your opinions and you should just drop the stone in your hand.

435954[/snapback]

Aren't you the clever one.

It's not opinion, it called standings, what the NFL uses to determine who is in.

Any other arguement is pure speculation.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/2004/regular

Oh yeah, get over yourself.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

Nope, every sports channel out there had us make it if we had won.

i think the initial post makes a reasonable point. maybe the jets do play it differently if we beat pgh. but who the hell knows what WOULD have happened? bottom line is we freakin CHOKED when it mattered. not just bledsoe, the bills. choked. coughed it up. a-hack hack hack gag spit. end of season.

but that is ancient history at this point, and right now i am a lot more worried about whether we can open any holes in the texan's d-line. it's hard for me to believe this thread made it to a page 2!

That is one of the most stupid things I ever heard.

If Buffalo won, they would have been in the 2005 playoffs.

Give it a rest.

435928[/snapback]

You need to read more, you ass. It's a theory, and I watched both games, and I am telling you, the Jets were high fiving when the Bills lost, and there is a chance they let the game go.

You need to work on your social skills, or stay out of here.

Aren't you the clever one.

It's not opinion, it called standings, what the NFL uses to determine who is in.

Any other arguement is pure speculation.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/2004/regular

Oh yeah, get over yourself.

435959[/snapback]

And you need a spell check, because arguement is not a word, not even in England. The word is "argument."

The whole point was speculation, not fact. It's my opinion that had the Bills won and the Jets pulled out the game, the Bills may have felt that they had a big season. By losing, they have somehow gotten more motivation than otherwise. Why is that a problem? Nobody said anything was certain except that the Bills lost and they should be embarrassed about that. They were favored by 9 points against the Steeler scrubs, and Bledsoe handed it over.

The only thing that is "stupid" is thinking that everything would have been the same had the Bills won.  Knowing the Bills had won would have made the Jets play that much harder against an inferior team like the Rams, to ensure their own playoff berth, because they knew the Colts would rest their starters against the Broncos.

435947[/snapback]

I don't think the Jests were scoreboard watching while playing their own game and somehow needed motivation had we won. They would have to win, regardless of our outcome, to even have a chance. I'm sure they were happy we mailed it in to the freakin scrubs tho.

Our defense better be motivated this year and not let sorry play like that happen again! You'd think that 0-4 would make you angry. That applies to every other team but us.

Anyone who has bit this rank amateur's bait has been "iced" in one of the most unimaginative ways I've seen in a long time.

Shame on you!  :w00t:

436025[/snapback]

Hey, are you talking about me as a rank amateur? I hope not. I'm just postulating about this thing. It's not a novel concept to me, I watched both those games last year. It's not bait, it's reality. The Jets visibly, noticibly, let that game go when they saw that the Bills lost. It's the truth, and if you friggin idiots can't even consider the possibility that I'm right, you are kidding yourselves. I could be a sportswriter and people would be saying, right, man you are right. The Jets mailed it in once the bills lost that game.

You're a bunch of mooing cooing bleating sheep for acting like this, you mooks. You're morons, all of you.

You cannot possibly think outside your box, because you live inside that box.

I don't think the Jests were scoreboard watching while playing their own game and somehow needed motivation had we won.  They would have to win, regardless of our outcome, to even have a chance.  I'm sure they were happy we mailed it in to the freakin scrubs tho.

The Jets were guaranteed the 5th seed in the playoffs as long as the Bills lost. Nothing else mattered that day. So I'm sure someone was watching the scoreboard to find out the results of the game and then relayed that to the team. And as I said, the Bills game ended well before even regulation of the Jets-Rams game, and OT went even longer.

Our defense better be motivated this year and not let sorry play like that happen again!  You'd think that 0-4 would make you angry.  That applies to every other team but us.

Totally agree. I never said that the Bills likely still missing the playoffs if they had beaten Pgh was an excuse for losing. Hopefully it's what drives them this season.

So there.

435387[/snapback]

Okay TC, hate to say it but I agree almost 100% with this post. I also was watching both games, and the JETS changed their colors when it was announced the Bills lost. However, they did not go conservative, they got aggresive. Late In the OT, they went for a 4th and 2 or so from midfield, which if the Bills had lost would have never happened. Herm would have punted and played for the tie. Now, would they have won, lost or tied we will never know,

Hey, are you talking about me as a rank amateur?  I hope not.  I'm just postulating about this thing.  It's not a novel concept to me, I watched both those games last year.  It's not bait, it's reality.  The Jets visibly, noticibly, let that game go when they saw that the Bills lost.   It's the truth, and if you friggin idiots can't even consider the possibility that I'm right, you are kidding yourselves.  I could be a sportswriter and people would be saying, right, man you are right.  The Jets mailed it in once the bills lost that game.

You're a bunch of mooing cooing bleating sheep for acting like this, you mooks.  You're morons, all of you. 

436119[/snapback]

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Your "theory" is stupid.

You are a cry-baby, and a poo poo head!

Oh, and you're not a sports writer, and you need to work on your social skills.

:w00t:

Hey, are you talking about me as a rank amateur?  I hope not.  I'm just postulating about this thing.  It's not a novel concept to me, I watched both those games last year.  It's not bait, it's reality.  The Jets visibly, noticibly, let that game go when they saw that the Bills lost.  It's the truth, and if you friggin idiots can't even consider the possibility that I'm right, you are kidding yourselves.  I could be a sportswriter and people would be saying, right, man you are right.  The Jets mailed it in once the bills lost that game.

You're a bunch of mooing cooing bleating sheep for acting like this, you mooks.  You're morons, all of you. 

436119[/snapback]

yikes.

dude,and this is coming with someone who agrees with you...

calm down!

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Your "theory" is stupid.

You are a cry-baby, and a poo poo head!

Oh, and you're not a sports writer, and you need to work on your social skills. 

436271[/snapback]

I apologize. I was a little drunk when I wrote that.

Theory is theory. If you choose to disagree, that's fine. I went overboard because I was tired of being called names, when all I did was post an idea. I have disagreements over sports all the time. But I try to keep my head and not get mean, and I'm sorry I got mean.

I'm going to get in my car and drive to the sports bar and sit with the St. Louis Bills Backers and watch The Game.

I apologize.  I was a little drunk when I wrote that. 

Theory is theory.  If you choose to disagree, that's fine.  I went overboard because I was tired of being called names, when all I did was post an idea.  I have disagreements over sports all the time.  But I try to keep my head and not get mean, and I'm sorry I got mean.

I'm going to get in my car and drive to the sports bar and sit with the St. Louis Bills Backers and watch The Game.

436320[/snapback]

Don't worry about it.

Enjoy the game.

As long as we're debating the final game of LAST year as we are on the brink of the season opener, care to discuss why we really lost SBXXV or how about rehashing Kemp v Lamonica? :doh:

436331[/snapback]

My post was about the motivation the team carries into this year as a result of losing the final game from last year. I think it has made them a very hungry team.

I believe the reason we lost Super Bowl XXV is that Scott Norwood missed the 47 yard field goal that would've won the game. I also think that Frank Reich failed to turn the laces of the football forward, which took away the natural left hook that you see on Norwood's kicks. The ball went straight. Had the laces been forward, it would've been dead center.

I apologize.  I was a little drunk when I wrote that. 

Theory is theory.  If you choose to disagree, that's fine.  I went overboard because I was tired of being called names, when all I did was post an idea.  I have disagreements over sports all the time.  But I try to keep my head and not get mean, and I'm sorry I got mean.

436320[/snapback]

lol...i myself have a "don't drink and post" rule- that i also break from time to time... :doh:;)