espn

Pete

Which ESPN personality is the most annoying?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which ESPN personality is the most annoying?

• Stuart Scott
    • Michael Irvin
    • Kenny Mayne
    • Jimmy Johnson
    • Jim Rome
    • Dick Vitale
    • Joe Theisman
    • Other

Im talking about Urban apeal, Not just Black Apeal.

There is a huge difference.  There are many Black analyst on every channel, but not many that relate to the Inner City kids.

Scott, Irvin, Steven A Smith all have Urban apeal. 

Also, Its a fact, that most of the stars in the NFL come from inner city backgrounds.

Its good to see that ESPN is trying to relate to these kids, because unless you watch BET, there arent many national networks that even care to try and relate to the urban society, in other words the Hip Hop generation.  They will cash the checks on the money they make from the Hip Hop generation, but could care less about them when it comes to putting them on TV.

30264[/snapback]

I dont understand how you think Stuart Scott has urban appeal. Hearing him forcing out "urban" slang is about as natural as ODB trying to recite Shakespeare. I think "urban" fans think he sounds fake. I see your case with Irvin and Smith though.

peace

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand how you think Stuart Scott has urban appeal. Hearing him forcing out "urban" slang is about as natural as ODB trying to recite Shakespeare. I think "urban" fans think he sounds fake. I see your case with Irvin and Smith though.

peace

30280[/snapback]

Alright, Ill give you that one. He does sound fake, but at this point, fake is better than nothing in my mind.

IMO, ESPN has just gone a wee bit overboard with the attempts at humor and the balance between being able to communicate well, look good, speak well, be hip and get information out. They got spoiled when they rose to success during the 90s with Berman and Patrick and Oberman and Kilborne. Now everyone that comes up tries to be funny instead of good and amusing. They have just hit a soft spot the way other sports sometimes don't have a lot of stars at one time or another. I'm sure, pretty soon, some weird looking guy or some smart aleck guy or some sports genius or some absolute knockout hottie or some sports equivalent to Jon Stewart will emerge and be good. They just have a bad team right now and they need to get back to the sports instead of the schtick.

There ratings with the desired demographic, however, probably say otherwise.

Besides, the old white guys are the worst ESPN has to offer. Theisman, Maguire, Vitale...

I find Kenny Mayne pretty damn funny, and I used to hate him.