What would you do?

Ron Mexico

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner, Emergency room in a level 1 trama center in NYC. They are asking for some of ER personnel to go to NO. Must be able to commit for 1-2 weeks. I don't have all the details (rooming, etc.) but her hospital will fly them down where they can assist in the treatment of the patients that are being found. They are planning on leaving Tuesday

I am all for helping out, my only concern is for her safety, the diseases don't bother me as much as the lawlessness (gunfire in the streets) bothers me. The more I ponder this, I can only hope that if she goes, they would put them in a location that provides them with some sort of safety net, and be relatively well stocked with medical supplies, but if its a military operation that may be too much to ask.

We have 3 kids, 2 at home, ages 16 and 10.

She is asking my opinion, I just wanted to see what you folks think, would you encourage her participation, or ask her to stay here until things settle down a little?

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner, Emergency room in a level 1 trama center in NYC. They are asking for some of ER personnel to go to NO. Must be able to commit for 1-2 weeks. I don't have all the details (rooming, etc.) but her hospital will fly them down where they can assist in the treatment of the patients that are being found. They are planning on leaving Tuesday

I am all for helping out, my only concern is for her safety, the diseases don't bother me as much as the lawlessness (gunfire in the streets) bothers me. The more I ponder this, I can only hope that if she goes, they would put them in a location that provides them with some sort of safety net, and be relatively well stocked with medical supplies, but if its a military operation that may be too much to ask.

She is asking my opinion, I just wanted to see what you folks think, would you encourage her participation, or ask her to stay here until things settle down a little?

426282[/snapback]

I highly doubt they'd be putting her in harm's way, considering they're trying to take people out of the city. I can't imagine anyone's practicing medicine in anything other than the most basic, bush-medicine sense inside the city anyway, so I can't see them putting more medical professionals into situations where there only treatment tools are their hands and brains.

Basically, if you're afraid of looters, she'll almost certainly be okay. I can't imagine they'd put any medical professionals other than EMTs into New Orleans.

That's a tough question... She could stay in your family bubble, guarentee her safety and that of your family, but be unfufilled, or she could feel like she made a difference at a cost to the safety of herself and your family unit. If it were me who was asked to go, i'd go. If it were my wife, i'd tell her to do what she had to do and i'd support her either way. It is going to be up to her to make this choice, but i think we all know the "right" thing to do here.

For those interested, my hospital is trying to arrange for this kind of thing as well. The official memo started out like this:

The situation is deteriorating in Louisiana, Secretary Leavitt from the

Department of Health and Human Services has requested assistance from

hospital systems to provide 100 person medical teams to run Federal

Medical Shelters in Louisiana.  "The goal of these shelters is to

triage, transfer to medical shelter, and provide hydration, clothes,

consumables and medication".  Teams will be deployed to the area for two

weeks.

So, the idea is that the federal goverment is setting up medical shelters, most likely in safer areas, and presumably with adequate protection. I'm thinking about it as well, although I'm not an ER-type doc. I think it would be fine, personally.

......... They are asking for some of ER personnel to go to NO. .........

426282[/snapback]

I would say let her go....if they can't get cops and national guard units into NO, then they won't be able to get her into NO. So, NO probably means to the gulf coast.

That's a tough question...  She could stay in your family bubble, guarentee her safety and that of your family, but be unfufilled, or she could feel like she made a difference at a cost to the safety of herself and your family unit.  If it were me who was asked to go, i'd go.  If it were my wife, i'd tell her to do what she had to do and i'd support her either way.  It is going to be up to her to make this choice, but i think we all know the "right" thing to do here.

426346[/snapback]

I called her this morning (she was working the night shift) told her to do what she thinks is necessary. Ultimately it is her decision, she may not get selected, but if she is chosen, she will have a short window to get her gear ready and be available for Tuesday. If they have enough volunteers, they may send an additional team a few days later. If she is selected to go, you will see me wandering around the opener with my 10 year old. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I called her this morning (she was working the night shift) told her to do what she thinks is necessary.

May God bless you and yours. Thank your wife for us, and thank you for supporting her. The only support I can offer right now is to contribute what I can afford to the Red Cross to help pay for efforts like this. Families like yours are what make communities and our nation great.

This is a huge national disaster, and I think as Americans we are obligated to use whatever skills / resources we have to help our fellow citizens. These people are in trouble. Wouldn't you want her help if you were in NO?

encourage her to go. If I thought I could do some good I would go, but I would just be in the way. Imagine how good she or anyone would feel to go down and really do some good!

426282[/snapback]

I think the trauma patients in NYC need her too.  There is no more danger in NO than in NYC, so I would say, stay home.  You will see it all in an emergency room in NYC.

426911[/snapback]

I think staying in your local community is a good option but I would go if I was her because it seems like a good teachable moment for your kids. This is the largest natural (the hurricane) and man-made (the collapse of the levee system and flooding) in US history and the moment it creates for your wife to give hands on help and for you to work to teach valuable lessons to your kids about taking risks to help your fellow human beings (even when in many cases they stupidly did not evacuate- just because people do not deserve help does not mean that the best of people do not help them). This is really a great opportunity for you and your family.

The breakdown in communications is one of the big issues there and actually getting your own communications capability which can foster connections between your wife on the scene and your kids (thorugh the moderating influence of yourself) really is a once in a lifetime opportunity.