(KATRINA)How could this happen

The Poojer

a really really large BBQ down in the hard hit areas, grills upon grills with hambugers/hotdogs/chickens just being mass grilled around the clock with water/soft drinks etc...this is really what the people need now just to get by. I am going to e-mail my company CEO to see if he can get together some of his retail cohorts. The people need to eat and there are plenty of people that can man the grills.

yeah but much much bigger scale, walmart/kmart/kroger/weber/lowes /home depot, need to flood(pardon the use of words) the area with the items needed and just start feeding the masses.

This is exactly what my neighborhood did in Raleigh after Fran.  We literally cooked everything that we had in the fridge and freezer.  One large bbq.

425279[/snapback]

Its a great idea but not practical. Imagine yourself with out food or clean water for two days. Now imagine that you catch a wafting of BBQ.... what do you think happens next....? The ones with guns eat first! The government needs to stabilize everything first and unfortunately people will be killed because of lack of judgment from living through this mess.

Ugly

Jeff :D

yeah but much much bigger scale, walmart/kmart/kroger/weber/lowes /home depot, need to flood(pardon the use of words) the area with the items needed and just start feeding the masses.

425282[/snapback]

You wonder why this can't be done, but I am sure the logistics are just overwhelming. Transportation network down there is just so fried and in disarray, how could you get people to where the food is?

Antbody got information about the burbs in NO? I know the city is cooked, bout are the burbs as bad?

425282[/snapback]

I don't understand why the stores don't do this. Supplies in the short term are extremely tight and people are in dire need of them, when in a little while, the relief supplies will be coming in. If doing the right thing just to do the right thing isn't enough, it would be great PR for the companies that do it.

There are concerns about looters and the people with guns and itchy trigger fingers tho. It's hard to reason with people in desperate circumstances.

You wonder why this can't be done, but I am sure the logistics are just overwhelming. Transportation network down there is just so fried and in disarray, how could you get people to where the food is?

Antbody got information about the burbs in NO? I know the city is cooked, bout are the burbs as bad?

425293[/snapback]

I'm not sure how many people are in the suburbs. Those who could afford to get out, did get out for the most part.

Mike

There are concerns about looters and the people with guns and itchy trigger fingers tho. It's hard to reason with people in desperate circumstances.

425295[/snapback]

I havn't followed all of the threads about this yet, but it was reported that the evacuation of the Superdome has been halted because people were firing at the helicoptors. These same types of people would be the ones shooting at the cooks at the grill so that they'd have a larger hoard of food.

CW

a really really large BBQ down in the hard hit areas, grills upon grills with hambugers/hotdogs/chickens just being mass grilled around the clock with water/soft drinks etc...this is really what the people need now just to get by.  I am going to e-mail my company CEO to see if he can get together some of his retail cohorts.  The people need to eat and there are plenty of people that can man the grills.

425277[/snapback]

Thank you, Marie Antoinette! :D

I havn't followed all of the threads about this yet, but it was reported that the evacuation of the Superdome has been halted because people were firing at the helicoptors.  These same types of people would be the ones shooting at the cooks at the grill so that they'd have a larger hoard of food.

CW

425349[/snapback]

Simple solution for those firing at helicopters.

Detox's video...

I havn't followed all of the threads about this yet, but it was reported that the evacuation of the Superdome has been halted because people were firing at the helicoptors.  These same types of people would be the ones shooting at the cooks at the grill so that they'd have a larger hoard of food.

CW

425349[/snapback]

The other thing that's happening is thousands of people are rushing from nearby hotels to get on the buses that are supposed to be evacuating the Superdome folks. I guess nobody saw that coming either. :D

a really really large BBQ down in the hard hit areas, grills upon grills with hambugers/hotdogs/chickens just being mass grilled around the clock with water/soft drinks etc...this is really what the people need now just to get by.  I am going to e-mail my company CEO to see if he can get together some of his retail cohorts.  The people need to eat and there are plenty of people that can man the grills.

425277[/snapback]

Pooj and other Richmondites,

My daughter goes to Collegiate and it looks like we will be taking in a good number of students displaced by Katrina. Where these families are to live etc has not been worked out, but I will keep you all updated if there is anything you can do to help with these folks.

I know some will get nasty here, but sometimes gotta look at the positives. These children, from what I undertsand, will be from some of the poorer ares of NO, and to be able to maybe get a head start on eduction they would never expereince could be a blessing in disguise.

i will take any females, over the age of 18!!!!! :D seriously let me know, I am in town all weekend if things happen that quickly

Pooj and other Richmondites,

My daughter goes to Collegiate and it looks like we will be taking in a good number of students  displaced by Katrina. Where these families are to live etc has not been worked out, but I will keep you all updated if there is anything you can do to help with these folks.

I know some will get nasty here, but sometimes gotta look at the positives. These children, from what I undertsand, will be from some of the poorer ares of NO, and to be able to maybe get a head start on eduction they would never expereince could be a blessing in disguise.

425385[/snapback]

i will take any females, over the age of 18!!!!! :D seriously let me know, I am in town all weekend if things happen that quickly

425399[/snapback]

Pooj, got your PM and will contact if in anyway people can help. BTW, I would recommend that all who are wanting to donate, please check with your emplorers first. My wife works at ADP, and they are matching 150% of all donations.

May be just a little thing that our school is doing, but at least I feel I can help maybe in a more personal way than just sending money to the Red Cross

Pooj, got your PM and will contact if in anyway people can help. BTW, I would recommend that all who are wanting to donate, please check with your emplorers first. My wife works at ADP, and they are matching 150% of all donations.

425427[/snapback]

Good point. My employer (Thomson) is matching $2 for every $1 we contribute.