$BILLIONS lost in the south

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't feel bad - but you also shouldn't EXPECT other people to help you out because you gave them a helping hand. You guys done good - but now take care of home, it is what you're best at!

424279[/snapback]

Basically, we need to be the Ned Flanders of the world. It's what we're good at, mates!

:P

AMERICA: OK World. We are in charge here now. Do as you are told and eveything will be fine.

WORLD: OK, no problem.

<NATURAL DISASTER hits AMERICA. AMERICA busies itself with fixing things. World looks on with concern.>

AMERICA (mad): Hey world - why aren't you helping us?

WORLD (scared): You didn't tell us to.

See what I am getting at?? Ignoring the fact that aid HAS been offered, and gladly, what you guys fail to understand is that you are the greatest nation on earth and can deal with this like no other country..

424299[/snapback]

I am with you Nick.

I wonder how many people's personal lives deal with this scenario everyday? Judging from the responses here... I take a lot. Why the umbrage?

Personally, when I want help... I will ask for it.

Screw it. Hey - maybe if you hold the world to ransom for all the money you gave them over the years or else you'll bomb their non-American, non-Christian asses off the planet for good they will change their opinion. :P

Get a clue. You don't have to be Muslim to disagree with American politics. But you don't have to be British to like Americans.

I'm going home.

You missed the point. In the last storm when Mr. Jones's house was hit by a tree, Mr. Smith was the first one there and paid for a tree removal service and carpenter to fix the damage. If I was Mr. Smith, I'd be a little perturbed as Mr. Jones can't be bothered to stoop over his rail fence and say, "Hell of a storm. Here, have a beer. Need to borrow my power saw?" Mr. Smith shouldn't have to knock on the door.

So as I understand it, several here are saying that b/c we in the U.S. have a good economy that is the collective of people working their butts off 60 hours a week, that our resources and money gained while working those hours should be given away for free to others who will gladly take our aid and then spit in our face? Maybe they should get off their butts from their afternoon siestas and tea and smoking clubs so their economy can withstand a hit too, instead of depending on others to bail them out.

424303[/snapback]

Well said, far more eloquent than I could have put it.

Nick, your sentiments on this seem to be the same as mine (for what it is worth which in terms of all of our Internet opinions isn't much at all) and I thank you for having them.

I also hope that Englanders generally feel that my country, the USA, stepped to the plate and did the little it could for England when it was traumatized by this summers Subway bombings.

Personally, I hope that our country did this not out of some sense of balanced commerce (they went to war with us therefore we owe them condolences) but simply as act to let you know you are not alone in your time of need and confusion and that we stand with you against the terrorists to not let the bastards grind us down.

Overall, I think this thread reflects the fact that folks use the terms US and THEY as if there is only one way that Americans and dem foreigners think. To me, the glory of America is reflected in the phrase E PLURIBUS UNUM. We are certainly one (or us) in the big picture, but we remain many and value that also even though the result is a bit paradoxical.

Though we are unified as a nation we do not have merely ONE view of the world and what is right and what is wrong. It would be easy if we all thought the same way, but the glory of America is that we are encouraged to think differently from each other, but somehow pull off the difficult trick of being unified though we disagree about a lot of things.

For me, my spiritual views have me give to help those who were struck by the Tsunami but I have no requirement that other countries offer my country assistance for Katrina. Its nice when they do, but if a Tsunami hit tomorrow I hope i will still be able to offer them assistance even though I suspect and hope mu country will be able to refuse offers of assitance from others because we should be able to shoulder and deal with this tragedy ourselves.

In reagrds to the Tsunami, it only took me a couple of days amidst the confusing early reports to realize this was a global tragedy and fortunately we did the right thing by sending a small cash donation to the Red Cross. This small donation was really nothing to us in terms of our personal comfort or sacrifice and we deserve no credit for doing this, but I am pleased it appears to me to have been the right thing to do.

Others did nothing and thats fine to. They made their choices and we made ours, It don't mean nothing.

As far as Katrina, we have not sent a donation to the Red Cross (yet) actually I feel less immediate need to give this way because I view my federal tax dollars funding FEMA and other US AID efforts as being part of my actions.

For the time being, i have reached out via the Internet to an Uncle who retired to Stone County, MS and also contacted a college buddy who is in Nawlins and I will try to support them directly and tangibly as word gets back to me of need.

At any rate, illegitimi non carborundum in terms of the some of self-centered comments we see in this thread. I have appreciated your words amidst the 7/7 tragedy and appreciate your words now.

You missed the point. In the last storm when Mr. Jones's house was hit by a tree, Mr. Smith was the first one there and paid for a tree removal service and carpenter to fix the damage. If I was Mr. Smith, I'd be a little perturbed as Mr. Jones can't be bothered to stoop over his rail fence and say, "Hell of a storm. Here, have a beer. Need to borrow my power saw?" Mr. Smith shouldn't have to knock on the door.

424303[/snapback]

Well, what you are missing is that Mr. Jones lives in a dumpy little house and his chainsaw is about 20 years old. Mr. Smith lives in a $4MM mansion and has a full time crew to take care of his grounds and they are more than capable of handling the fallen tree.

Who are people upset at here? Indonesia? Is that the country that should be pouring millions of dollars into New Orleans? Somewhere else? As someone pointed out above, several countries already HAVE offered assistance.

Well, what you are missing is that Mr. Jones lives in a dumpy little house and his chainsaw is about 20 years old.  Mr. Smith lives in a $4MM mansion and has a full time crew to take care of his grounds and they are more than capable of handling the fallen tree.

Who are people upset at here?  Indonesia?  Is that the country that should be pouring millions of dollars into New Orleans?    Somewhere else?  As someone pointed out above, several countries already HAVE offered assistance.

424344[/snapback]

Totally agree with you KD.

Back to the story... What Mr. Smith isn't saying is that he fixed Mr. Jones' house out of fear that his property values would fall on his mansion knowing that Mr. Jones would not be financially in position to fix it soon. Given the state of his affairs, Mr. Jones might even turn a portion of his property into rental units to pay for the needed upkeep and maintenance. Fixing it, Mr. Smith, prevented his own property and way of life from depreciating.

:P:lol:

How did you find the list of the countries offering help? I can't find it with google.

424381[/snapback]

Usually the offers for aid in disasters are pretty prefunctory, they are offered through the ambassadors, but in the case of the US, I imagine they will be declined with thanks. Hardly newsworthy.

Usually the offers for aid in disasters are pretty prefunctory, they are offered through the ambassadors, but in the case of the US, I imagine they will be declined with thanks. Hardly newsworthy.

424386[/snapback]

Agreed. It may not seem like it, but we actually know how to do this stuff, and have not only the plans but the assetts.

We are the richest country on the face of the earth. Ever. We don't need money from anyone.

How much have all of YOU donated to the Red Cross, etc. to help your countrymen and women? Why would you expect others to bear our burden when we can well bear it alone? I realize that the cost we'll pay is probably enough to finance another invasion of a sovereign nation, but we'll just have to postpone that, eh?

Condolences have been given and are gratefully accepted from around the world. But ask yourselves how many times YOU have read in the newspapers, ON AN ANNUAL BASIS, where hundreds or thousands people are killed in monsoons and the like ... and what did you think? "Oh those third-world countries, sad, what's for lunch...?". It happens to US and the world is supposed to stop dead in its tracks and freak out? Grow up.

Even discussing what's "owed" to America during this time of crisis for the South is mean-spirited, divisive and just plain petty. Keeping score is for sports, not life. Get one.