Katrina: moral dilemma for Tallahassee hotels

Ramius

This is rather interesting. This monday night, is the FSU-UM game here in Tallahassee. By far the biggest game of the year, as there are a ton of people going to the game, meaning a ton of people in town, etc. So hotels have been booked solid for this weekend for a long time, as people get tix early and make plans early.

Now the problem is that there are a lot of Katrina refugees being put up in the hotels here. Now i just heard on the radio that a lot of hotels arent sure what to do for this weekend? Do they...

A. Kick the refugees out to make room for all of the paying customers going to the FSU-UM game, or

B. Tell everyone thats booked and paid they need to find other accomodations

The fact that many hotels arent sure what to do kinda makes me sick. How do you kick someone, who had their home trashed, out of a place to stay just to make room for someone that wants to go to a football game?

if there were "other accomidations" im sure they could put the "refugees" there. but there might not be any.

i would try to find another place for them. if a hotel has accepted money for a room, they should try there best to accomidate the guy who paid.

most people understand the situation. and wont freak out if a guy whoes house just floated away needs a place to live. if no other place can be found for the refugees, than the hotel has to refund the money.

so:

a) try to find a new place for the refugees.

b) if they cant, refund the money, and say.. sorry, didnt you watch CNN???

im sure that a neighboring city or whatever has hotels with space for them.

im sure some people will get screwed. but most will be fine.

OK, let's put the displaced people into "camps". Where in the world do you think you can find the location, supplies, manpower, and have utilities installed before Monday? And today is Tuesday. Brilliant!!

I would certainly hope that the out of town football fans would have a bit of civility and try to find other accomodations.

OK, let's put the displaced people into "camps".  Where in the world do you think you can find the location, supplies, manpower, and have utilities installed before Monday?  And today is Tuesday.  Brilliant!!

I would certainly hope that the out of town football fans would have a bit of civility and try to find other accomodations.

422975[/snapback]

That's the point. There are none. I think the only logical conclusion to this is the game should be cancelled.

422975[/snapback]

So what should the people who fly/drive down there to see the game do? Should they be the homeless ones?

It's a tough situation, but the people from out of town are just as homeless as those who fled the hurricane.

CW

So what should the people who fly/drive down there to see the game do?  Should they be the homeless ones?

It's a tough situation, but the people from out of town are just as homeless as those who fled the hurricane.

CW

423026[/snapback]

That is why I am suggesting that the schools think about postponing the game to a later date. And, if they don't, that the people coming in from out of town have some civility and re-look at accomodations. Or, going at all.

Think about if it was you in that hotel room with no house.

That is why I am suggesting that the schools think about postponing the game to a later date.  And, if they don't, that the people coming in from out of town have some civility and re-look at accomodations. Or, going at all.

Think about if it was you in that hotel room with no house.

423032[/snapback]

So will I get a refund on my airline tickets? Car rental? Hotel room? Football tickets?

Not trying to be an ass, but vacations cost a LOT of money, so why should someone who had a trip planned be left holding the bag?

The simple answer is, "Of course you let the homeless stay in the hotel," but there's more than just hotel rooms involved in this instance.

CW

This is a simple answer B. The game will be on TV. Those people need to stay home (since they have one). There are a lot of paying customers that lost their homes in Mississippi and Louisiana (including some of my family members). Look at www. wwltv.com. They are telling people that they can come back to NO in one week and then leave for a month.

So will I get a refund on my airline tickets?  Car rental?  Hotel room?  Football tickets?

Not trying to be an ass, but vacations cost a LOT of money, so why should someone who had a trip planned be left holding the bag?

The simple answer is, "Of course you let the homeless stay in the hotel," but there's more than just hotel rooms involved in this instance.

CW

423057[/snapback]

I would hope that these entities would take this in mind. It was pointed out on the Today Show that this event is being taken into consideration with air, car, and hotel. Can't say about game tickets.

I would hope that these entities would take this in mind.  It was pointed out on the Today Show that this event is being taken into consideration with air, car, and hotel.  Can't say about game tickets.

423062[/snapback]

If all of the entities are willing to refund the money, then I'm all for the vacationers staying home (go somewhere else? Re-schedule?) and letting the homeless stay in the hotel.

CW

Whatever the moral implications, money usually talks. As far as people being understanding, this is America. For every person who is, there is another indignant bastard who will sue the hotel. We have a lot of very giving people in this country, we also have some of the most selfish I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of the world.

Whatever the moral implications, money usually talks. As far as people being understanding, this is America. For every person who is, there is another indignant bastard who will sue the hotel. We have a lot of very giving people in this country, we also have some of the most selfish I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of the world.

423154[/snapback]

I'm CERTAIN there will be lawsuits against the City, the owners of the Superdome etc., for bad backs, emotional stress, phony food poisoning from the free provisions, you name it. :rolleyes:

I'm CERTAIN there wild be lawsuits against the City, the owners of the Superdome etc., for bad backs, emotional stress, phony free food poisining, you name it. :rolleyes:

423170[/snapback]

I bet the city attorneys are sicker than the mayor right about now. I think 'Act of God" can cover a lot, but they still have to respond to the suits.

I bet the city attorneys are sicker than the mayor right about now. I think 'Act of God" can cover a lot, but they still have to respond to the suits.

423174[/snapback]

Gosh yes. I can hear the complaint now.,..Mr. Mayor only urged my client 4 days ago to leave town...I know he had knowledge my client did not have, and should have sent the police to forcibly remove my client". And if nothing happened. "Mr. Mayor committed an egregious attack on my client's civil rights by forcing him to leave his domicile, and also he did so expressly because my client is an afro-american!."

That said client was apprehended for looting will be brushed aside... :rolleyes:

If we do not play football, then the hurricane will have won, and it will only inspire more hurricanes in the future.

I recall a similar issue in the recount election when gov't officials and TONS of media were in Tallahasse to cover the vote debacle in Florida. Same thing, they were holed up in every hotel room in town when a big game was upcoming (may have also been Miami @ Fla St, I can't remember.) Anyways, they booted out all of the gov't and media because people had reservations.

I think they have to honor those reservations and boot those who recently arrived. Yep it sucks, but it is a 1-2 night problem.

I think this could be a problem for mor than just one game. A lot of people don't have homes to go back to. The government may have to step in before too long and try to help with a longer term solution.

"The Hurricane Won"

What the hell is that? A Hurricane is a weather system. It has no feelings or thoughts on the matter. In fact, it is now just a rain storm in my backyard. It was neither trying to win anything or prove a point to anyone.

"Vacations cost alot of money"

So does a hurricane destroying peoples homes and everything they owned and leaving them with nowhere to go but to a hotel or a shelter or worse.

Let's have some perspective here. A football game is totally insignificant after seeing what went down in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. People lost everything they had and some were stuck on rooftops or camping out on highways because that was the only dry and safe place left to go. There is no power, food, water or much of anything else. 10,000's of thousands of people are now homeless because of the hurricane. Untold numbers are dead.

If some a-hole has such little compassion because their vacation to go watch a football game was disrupted because of the devastation caused by the hurricane and a person who just lost everything is staying in their hotel room......well, I have just one thing left to say. FU*K THEM!

"The Hurricane Won"

What the hell is that? A Hurricane is a weather system. It has no feelings or thoughts on the matter.  It was neither trying to win anything or prove a point to anyone.

423695[/snapback]

That's exactly what the hurricane wants you to think...

Folks may want to find some principle or ideology which applies but the world ain;t that easy and generally this situation will be remedied by folks just sucking it up.

Lots of folks are going to take a hit and in many cases some financial loss here but as long as folks do the best they can and attempt to distribute and share some of the pain as best they can so be it.

If a hotel is stacked with some homeless folk, then generally the hotel should contact with folks with reservations before hand if they can or on site if they can's and see if there are some alternative accomodations they can get and if not then try to take care of these vacationing refugees as best they can.

If all the hotels take it in the shorts a bit and few or no hotels are dealing with all the overflow or losing all their reservations then that strikes me as the best folks can do.

No hotel should have to lose all its reservation money or take the full hit. Every hotel in town should be asked to take part of the hit and those who do not should not be forced to but their priorities and choices should be publicized. My guess is that if only to avoid the word their corporation is a bad citizen the grief will be share.

The schools themselves have tons of students, dorm rooms, food to feed youth and arenas and stadia. The universities and colleges need to step up and help deal with the refugee issues.

This problem will not be solved by individual acts. but it can be dealt with by group acts and if anyone bears all the pain it will not work but if most best some of the pain this actually can be one of Florida's finest hours and a nice part y for many who have known only pain and grief the last week.

Those who insist on getting their dime when others have lost family and houses should be given the dime they deserve, but if folks make them pay legally for a few months for their lack of generosity then so be it.

This is a problem but it strikes me as a solvable one if folks are human beings rather than financial tools.

423174[/snapback]

if i were a city attorney, i'd be a wee bit concerned with the fact that the city built a levee system designed to withstand a cat 3 hurricane and then only gave residents approx. 36 hours to evacuate when they finally made the call.

I recall a similar issue in the recount election when gov't officials and TONS of media were in Tallahasse to cover the vote debacle in Florida.  Same thing, they were holed up in every hotel room in town when a big game was upcoming (may have also been Miami @ Fla St, I can't remember.)  Anyways, they booted out all of the gov't and media because people had reservations.

423675[/snapback]

We cant let the hurricanes win, the game must go on. (Ironic that it's a game between two very recent controversial mascots, hurricanes and seminoles.)

The game will be played. What's worse, is that the reservations will be honored. This is when the students jump on an opportunity to make some money. Go stay with some friends, and rent out your room to a family. I know several students that did the same when the 2002 election debacle coincided with the FSU UF game. Make a few dollars over the weekend, and do something good. It never hurts to help out those who need it. Just be sure to hide your pron.

So will I get a refund on my airline tickets?  Car rental?  Hotel room?  Football tickets?

Not trying to be an ass, but vacations cost a LOT of money

423057[/snapback]

Think of all the Bills fans that bought hotel reservations, plane tickets, game tickets, car rental for the Bills/Saints game....

That cost a LOT of money. Think they are going to get their money back? What about people who bought plane tickets and hotels to visit NO within the next month? Think they are going to get their money back? Nope. Emergencies and disasters can cancel out all that stuff. I don't care if someone is paying to go to a hotel for a freaking college football game. With this disaster, the people should gladly step away and say, no problem. I understand. A football game is just a football game. a vacation is just a vacation. these people lost their homes, jobs, and their lives. They should get priority.

We cant let the hurricanes win, the game must go on. (Ironic that it's a game between two very recent controversial mascots, hurricanes and seminoles.)

The game will be played. What's worse, is that the reservations will be honored. This is when the students jump on an opportunity to make some money. Go stay with some friends, and rent out your room to a family. I know several students that did the same when the 2002 election debacle coincided with the FSU UF game. Make a few dollars over the weekend, and do something good. It never hurts to help out those who need it. Just be sure to hide your pron.

423851[/snapback]

Similiar situation happened last year here in Richmond. Tropical storm Gaston put down 12 inches of rain in little over 6 hrs. Half the city of Richmond underwater. There were several thousand people placed in hotels as their homes were uninhabitable. However, race weekend was coming up, with the same sorts of numbers that the game draws, only bigger.Something like a 130,000 people at a race.

So the governmnet rented buses to take these people to hotels that were a couple hundred of miles away. Lots of people complained, but seemed a reasonable solution to me. People who had reservations still had there rooms, the folks with no homes had shelter, everybody happy

if it is me and I have tix and a res for the hotel. I really hope that I would rise above it and make alternate plans. I know it is easy to say as an outsider, but I hope I would do the right thing if ever faced with it!

This is rather interesting. This monday night, is the FSU-UM game here in Tallahassee. By far the biggest game of the year, as there are a ton of people going to the game, meaning a ton of people in town, etc. So hotels have been booked solid for this weekend for a long time, as people get tix early and make plans early.

Now the problem is that there are a lot of Katrina refugees being put up in the hotels here. Now i just heard on the radio that a lot of hotels arent sure what to do for this weekend? Do they...

A. Kick the refugees out to make room for all of the paying customers going to the FSU-UM game, or

B. Tell everyone thats booked and paid they need to find other accomodations

The fact that many hotels arent sure what to do kinda makes me sick. How do you kick someone, who had their home trashed, out of a place to stay just to make room for someone that wants to go to a football game?

422943[/snapback]

so what you are saying that this is a conspiracy by the hurricaines, tornatoes, tsunamis, typoons et al? I wonder if El Nino is the mastermind behind this? hmmmmmmmm.........

That's exactly what the hurricane wants you to think...

423698[/snapback]

Some of you are idiots! I thought there were some dumb people down South but it looks like it's pretty rampant in WNY as well. Kasper seems the only one that is thinking logical here. They're not going to kick the refugees out just for a stupid football game. I had season ticks to the Bills a couple of years ago and could not make a couple of games in Buffalo due to the weather. Did I call up Delta and say hey? I need a refund for my trip. No, I sucked it up. That's what the people that PLANNED on attending the game this weekend will do. As long as there are paying customers (which there are because they did have the money to get out of town), the hotels can't ask people to leave (I guess you clowns that don't travel much don't know that). People will have to do the latter regarding staying with students who are so desperate to see a game. (I'm a huge fan of the Bills and if this happened in Buffalo and I paid for my trip in advance, I would just eat the trip.)

Back on topic....

They are going to play despite everything that has happened.

Who will be the QB for Florida State on opening day?  Will it be Xavier Lee, Drew Weatherford or perhaps both will get playing time?

423914[/snapback]

Last i heard weatherford was getting the start. And if some fans want to stay with me thats fine, i'll charge them rent, but if they are u of miami fans, i cannot guarantee their personal safety...

Some of you are idiots! I thought there were some dumb people down South but it looks like it's pretty rampant in WNY as well. Kasper seems the only one that is thinking logical here. They're not going to kick the refugees out just for a stupid football game. I had season ticks to the Bills a couple of years ago and could not make a couple of games in Buffalo due to the weather. Did I call up Delta and say hey? I need a refund for my trip. No, I sucked it up. That's what the people that PLANNED on attending the game this weekend will do. As long as there are paying customers (which there are because they did have the money to get out of town), the hotels can't ask people to leave (I guess you clowns that don't travel much don't know that).  People will have to do the latter regarding staying with students who are so desperate to see a game. (I'm a huge fan of the Bills and if this happened in Buffalo and I paid for my trip in advance, I would just eat the trip.)

423940[/snapback]

Good post.

Some of you are idiots! I thought there were some dumb people down South but it looks like it's pretty rampant in WNY as wellI had season ticks to the Bills a couple of years ago and could not make a couple of games in Buffalo due to the weather. Did I call up Delta and say hey? I need a refund for my trip. No, I sucked it up.  (I guess you clowns that don't travel much don't know that). 

423940[/snapback]

Hey idiot, perhaps you should've called Delta and received credit for a future flight instead of "sucking it up." If it was weather related, they would have compensated you, as has been done for me on several occasions. But for a guy that travels so much, I guess you can afford to eat the cost. :P

You're an idiot. I did get a credit on my airfare. It doesn't cover the other costs (e.g., football ticks, etc.).

It's obvious I called you and a couples other out. Just because your intelligent level isn't high doesn't mean that you have to spread your virus to your other idiot followers.

Hey idiot, perhaps you should've called Delta and received credit for a future flight instead of "sucking it up."  If it was weather related, they would have compensated you, as has been done for me on several occasions.  But for a guy that travels so much, I guess you can afford to eat the cost.  :P

423977[/snapback]

It makes sense now. The only people that are spouting this stupid senseless thinking are Florida fans. You're from Sarasota and the other clown is from Talahasse. Obviously we are not dealing with a sane person. Maybe you need another Charlie to come your way (but this time more like Andrew or Katrina).

What do you think? Will you be ready for some football then?

It makes sense now. The only people that are spouting this stupid senseless thinking are Florida fans. You're from Sarasota and the other clown is from Talahasse. Obviously we are not dealing with a sane person. Maybe you need another Charlie to come your way (but this time more like Andrew or Katrina).

What do you think? Will you be ready for some football then?

424008[/snapback]

You better hope i'm not the tallahassee fan you are pointing out.