The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

I just saw the FEMA Director on CNN admit they didn't know that the convention center was a refugee area... So they only planned an evac for the Superdome... Paula Zahn was incredulous... FEMA didn't know... 100 hours later... man this sucks...  no politics here everyone associated looks bad :blink:

426178[/snapback]

Note to FEMA: If there is a big building that isn't entirely covered by water expect to find people inside.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all of those people saying that airlifts are impossible b/c there's nowhere to land... When did dropping supplies with parachutes become impossible? Wastage, for sure, but 30% of bottled water and MREs being usable is better than 0%.

Hollywood has everyone believing that a pallet of goods floats gently down to earth with hardly a thud. When in fact as far as the dropped goods are concerned ,being airdropped is an extremely violent event. Your choices would be either to drop in sparsely populated locations:

1.) Could people get to the goods?

2.) Would armed people take control of the goods before the masses could get to them?

...or drop into a crowded area and risk deaths which the media would crucify the gov't for.

Hollywood has everyone believing that a pallet of goods floats gently down to earth with hardly a thud. When in fact as far as the dropped goods are concerned ,being airdropped is an extremely violent event. Your choices would be either to drop in sparsely populated locations:

1.) Could people get to the goods?

2.) Would armed people take control of the goods before the masses could get to them?

...or drop into a crowded area and risk deaths which the media would crucify the gov't for.

426774[/snapback]

And air drops aren't precision, either. Where you aim and where it lands are two different points, sometimes vastly different.

And air drops aren't precision, either.  Where you aim and where it lands are two different points, sometimes vastly different.

426791[/snapback]

Not to mention the fact you are going to have a mob heading after the dropped goods...

thousands of homeless hungry and thirsty people going after a few crates of airdropped goods would not be a good situation...i guarantee tens to hundreds would die in the resulting stampede for food/water...

I think that's how the Dutch do it, but I'm not sure.

It all comes down to money; either budgetary or property (you don't collect property taxes on levees, after all).  I doubt property is going to be an issue after this, though...there's plenty of construction that's going to have to be razed after this.  I can't see how a house flooded to the eaves isn't a total loss, and I can't see how the city proper returns to more than half it's pre-storm population.  Finding the land to build internal subdividing levees isn't going to be a problem. 

Actually doing it - finding someone to suggest it, getting it through committee meetings, getting funding, maintaining funding through election cycles - is another matter.

426707[/snapback]

Yep. Double yep.

I think that's how the Dutch do it, but I'm not sure.

It all comes down to money; either budgetary or property (you don't collect property taxes on levees, after all).  I doubt property is going to be an issue after this, though...there's plenty of construction that's going to have to be razed after this.  I can't see how a house flooded to the eaves isn't a total loss, and I can't see how the city proper returns to more than half it's pre-storm population.  Finding the land to build internal subdividing levees isn't going to be a problem. 

Actually doing it - finding someone to suggest it, getting it through committee meetings, getting funding, maintaining funding through election cycles - is another matter.

426707[/snapback]

Oh... And not to mention the enviro wackos that thing the economy can run itself au natural.

It dies the slow death many years in enviro impact studies... All the while the price keeps going up.

You should see what it is like trying to get a simple shelter on site built. Engineers and 3k later I think we have a structure that could withstand Katrina. Levees no, shelters yes.

Priorites, priorites.

Just to give you guys a picture, I go to school at Mississippi State in Starkville, MS, about 4 to 5 hours from New Orleans and they turned off all gas pumps here last night at midnight. The word is they are going to be turned off for at least a week. In Jackson, MS, all gas pumps are virtually empty and so are grocery stores. My dad lives in Crystal Springs which is an hour south of Jackson and he still is without electricity and a working phone line, however he is hooked up to a generator. Cell phones work, but at random times they do not due to towers being damaged and such.

So I just realized this, (and I kind of hate to say it because its terrible to say) the whole Katrina thing bodes well for the Bills staying in Buffalo.

New Orleans will never be the same city again. It will be much smaller and different in one year. There will also be large costs attatched to repairing the Dome, and who know what manpower there will be devote to that since there is so much else to repair. This increases the chances tenfold that the Saints will move to LA. Well, with that said, it really helps the Bills stay in Buffalo.

NEW ORLEANS - Four days after Hurricane Katrina struck, the National Guard arrived in force Friday with food, water and weapons, churning through the floodwaters in a vast truck convoy with orders to retake the streets and bring relief to the suffering.

"The cavalry is and will continue to arrive," said Lt. Gen. Steven Blum of the National Guard.

At the New Orleans Convention Center, some of the thousands of storm victims awaiting their deliverance applauded, threw their hands heavenward and screamed, "Thank you, Jesus!" as the camouflage-green trucks and hundreds of soldiers arrived in this increasingly desperate and lawless city.

"Lord, I thank you for getting us out of here," said Leschia Radford.

But there was also anger and profane catcalls.

"Hell no, I'm not glad to see them. They should have been here days ago. I ain't glad to see 'em. I'll be glad when 100 buses show up," said 46-year-old Michael Levy, whose words were echoed by those around him yelling, "Hell, yeah! Hell yeah!"

"We've been sleeping on the ... ground like rats," Levy said. "I say burn this whole ... city down." :blink:

"Hell no, I'm not glad to see them. They should have been here days ago. I ain't glad to see 'em. I'll be glad when 100 buses show up," said 46-year-old Michael Levy, whose words were echoed by those around him yelling, "Hell, yeah! Hell yeah!"

"We've been sleeping on the ... ground like rats," Levy said. "I say burn this whole ... city down." :P

427122[/snapback]

I propose we let Mr. Levy stay in New Orleans indefinitely.

The mayor had a total breakdown on NPR today. He admitted that the drug addicts are the ones running around with the guns shooting at rescuers and hospitals. I mentioned this to some people tyesterday and was told I was an idiot.

"We're living like animals!  So let's act like animals!  How could this situation get so bad?"  :P

I am honestly ashamed to be an American.

427161[/snapback]

Don't be. I'm ashamed of some of them, but for every soundbite our stupid worthless out of control excuse for a media chooses to air, there are 20 more that they pass up, because they might contradict. Now it's in our own country. I've heard so much about media agendas with regards to many things. Well, now you have a chance to view what these people are all about. It's called, making money. Reports that show success take a back seat to those that show trouble. Trouble and conflict attract more people to the TV than happy stories. You're watching and commenting like you are, many of you because you also stop traffic to look at a car wreck, or even a flat tire. Don't think networks aren't aware of that.

Neither are other countries around the world. Rest assured that people besides us are watching CNN and FOX. Their leaders are taking notes, and their masses are saying "America Can't Help Themselves". Their media is doing the same.

Hey, guess what? Things are bad. They won't get fixed in 5 friggen days. They may not be fixed for years, if ever. GET away from the TV, have a beer, or a martini. Get a grip. Try to figure out how to get the nfl.com gamelink to come up (one has to search the site hard, and be crafty to find a way not to pay for it).

Don't be. I'm ashamed of some of them, but for every soundbite our stupid worthless out of control excuse for a media chooses to air, there are 20 more that they pass up, because they might contradict. Now it's in our own country. I've heard so much about media agendas with regards to many things. Well, now you have a chance to view what these people are all about. It's called, making money. Reports that show success take a back seat to those that show trouble. Trouble and conflict attract more people to the TV than happy stories. You're watching and commenting like you are, many of you because you also stop traffic to look at a car wreck, or even a flat tire. Don't think networks aren't aware of that.

Neither are other countries around the world. Rest assured that people besides us are watching CNN and FOX. Their leaders are taking notes, and their masses are saying "America Can't Help Themselves". Their media is doing the same.

Hey, guess what? Things are bad. They won't get fixed in 5 friggen days. They may not be fixed for years, if ever. GET away from the TV, have a beer, or a martini. Get a grip. Try to figure out how to get the nfl.com gamelink to come up (one has to search the site hard, and be crafty to find a way not to pay for it).

427246[/snapback]

I wish we had a applause smiley here.