The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any people rationalizing why there was a 3 day delay in getting food, water and medical provisions to the poor, sick and dying victims in the city of New Orleans are just making themselves look foolish. We all saw the speed with which the emergency organizations mobilized after the Florida hurricanes last year. The President, Governor and Mayor ALL dropped the ball here. The pictures of the dead bodies on the streets of New Orleans tell us all we need to know. 3 days before emergency organizations were mobilized to these people, it's a national disgrace.

Any people rationalizing why there was a 3 day delay in getting food, water and medical provisions to the poor, sick and dying victims in the city of New Orleans are just making themselves look foolish. We all saw the speed with which the emergency organizations mobilized after the Florida hurricanes last year. The President, Governor and Mayor ALL dropped the ball here. The pictures of the dead bodies on the streets of New Orleans tell us all we need to know. 3 days before emergency organizations were mobilized to these people, it's a national disgrace.

427435[/snapback]

Before they arrived.

People don't even know the difference between mobilization and arrival...no wonder New Orleans is !@#$ed. :P

Before they arrived

People don't even know the difference between mobilization and arrival...no wonder New Orleans is !@#$ed.  :rolleyes:

427619[/snapback]

With all the wheels in motion before the storm do you think it is possible that they overlooked NOLA? Grossly misjudged. Things go off AND WENT OFF like clock-work percision. Thinking that NOLA was "out of the woods" everyhting went off around it mainly to the east and throughtout LA, then came the flooding. A total SNAFU.

Our team was responsible for ice, water, etc... for the state of LA. The team was deployed early monday before the NOLA break. This deployment was spread out across LA (everywhere but NOLA) and in Memphis, Tenn.

Just happening to have the Corps in this capacity and conincidentally having a Corps levee break put a wrinkle in their mission because they were also the primary agency for planning, preparedness and response under the ESP No. 3, Public Works and Engineering?

Spreading them too thin?

Just a thought.

Obviously I touched a nerve. Good.

427652[/snapback]

Just imagine... Everything is planned out and then, whamo! The whole effing city begins to fill and flood... It appears it wasn't even in the back of their minds?. Caught me as odd, I remember a levee inspection patrol in NOLA... Then nothing for a while.

Kinda like speeding down the highway in 5th and then slamming into 1st without so much as reving the engine mercilessly.

Somehow I find that hard to believe. Yet, it appears to be that way?

Ok, I am speechless after reading this...This takes the cake..

OMFG

427678[/snapback]

OMFG!

That has got to be an urban legend (the eating part)?

The whole world is watching, what do you think their conclusion catching a quick glimpse and America's dubious past?

This doesn't mean I agree in what some may be thinking.

Our team was responsible for ice, water, etc... for the state of LA.  The team was deployed early monday before the NOLA break.  This deployment was spread out across LA (everywhere but NOLA) and in Memphis, Tenn.

427661[/snapback]

No it wasn't. Nothing federal was deployed until today. Haven't you heard the dozens of people here who've been saying that? The government should have known Saturday that things would go to sh-- Tuesday - after everyone said New Orleans was out of the woods.

Clearly, in the face of all this expertise on this board, you are a consummate liar. There's no WAY your team could have been deployed Monday... :rolleyes:

No it wasn't.  Nothing federal was deployed until today.  Haven't you heard the dozens of people here who've been saying that?  The government should have known Saturday that things would go to sh-- Tuesday - after everyone said New Orleans was out of the woods. 

Clearly, in the face of all this expertise on this board, you are a consummate liar.  There's no WAY your team could have been deployed Monday...  :rolleyes:

427724[/snapback]

I am staring at the PAO press release right now.

It does say :

...CoE stands ready to help save human life, prevent IMMEDIATE HUMAN SUFFERING, and mitigate property damage.

Something of cluster eff proportions happened in the middle of it all. I think it starts with the levee popping. 0:):P

I am staring at the PAO press release right now.

It does say :

...CoE stands ready to help save human life, prevent IMMEDIATE HUMAN SUFFERING, and mitigate property damage.

Something of cluster eff proportions happened in the middle of it all.  I think it starts with the levee popping. 0:)  :P

427737[/snapback]

The levee broke?

I didn't know that. I thought this was all because of Bush. :rolleyes:

from the corner on NRO:

Haven't read much about this in the news .... but a Navy info source that I receive sent this out this morning.

Thanks to the Navy's new readiness model 28 ships were ready to get underway within 24 hours.

Bataan (a helicopter carrier) and HSV (High Speed Vessel) 2 Swift, out of Naval Station Ingleside, Texas, are off the affected coastline providing support. Four MH-53s (huge helos capable of moving 40-50 troops) and two HH-60s (capable of moving about 20 troops) off the Bataan are flying medevac and search and rescue (SAR) missions in Louisiana, and supporting the Coast Guard's 8th District. Bataan's hospital and staff has been augmented by an additional contingent from the Navy's Bureau of Medicine (BUMED), consisting of 85 personnel, including 12 physicians and 4 surgeons.

The Iwo Jima (large helo carrier) Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) is sailing from Norfolk, Va. loaded with disaster-response equipment. The USNS Arctic (T-AOE 8 - an oiler, ammunition and stores (as in refrigerated stores)) is currently off the Gulf Coast. USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) (large helo carrier), USS Shreveport (LPD 12) (large helo capable troop transport ship), and USS Tortuga (LSD 46) (large, helo capable troop transport ship) are expected soon. A medical staff augmentation for Iwo Jima is expected to be en route tomorrow.

The hospital ship, USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), is departing Baltimore by September 3 to bring some 270 medical staff, capable of supporting 250 hospital beds, to the Gulf region. Project Hope has offered to embark additional medical personnel, and the Air Force's Surgeon General has offered to provide still further staff if needed.

USS Harry S. Truman (aircraft carrier) (CVN 75) and USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41) (same as Tortuga above) are sailing today for areas off the Gulf Coast in support to FEMA relief operations. Truman will serve as a command center and an afloat staging base, and will carry additional helicopters from Naval Air Station Jacksonville to support search and rescue efforts. Whidbey Island will bring to the region the ability to employ a movable causeway.

USS Grapple (ARS 53) (salvage ship) is currently en route in order to assist with maritime and underwater survey and salvage operations.

Military Sealift Command has transferred control of five of its ships to the Navy's Second Fleet to provide further support to relief efforts. USNS Bellatrix, Altair, Pillilau, Bob Hope, and Argol are in the Gulf of Mexico already (all capable of carrying lots of food stuffs, and supplies). USNS Arctic is also at sea in the Gulf and acting as a FEMA support ship and providing logistics services support for the other ships at sea.

Navy helicopters from Jacksonville and Mayport, Fla., are supporting relief efforts, and Navy Seabees from Port Hueneme, Jacksonville, and Norfolk are on scene or making preparations to deploy to assist in relief operations.

USNS Pollux is operating onboard dialysis equipment for the patients of a local hospital, providing diesel fuel for area hospitals' generators, and providing meals and berthing to relief workers.

Ok, I am speechless after reading this...This takes the cake..

OMFG

427678[/snapback]

I doubt cannibalism has taken root there but the stories of dozens, if not hundreds, of rapes in the Superdome aren't much better.

And the rest of that guy's slop is incoherent.

from the corner on NRO:

Haven't read much about this in the news .... but a Navy info source that I receive sent this out this morning.

Thanks to the Navy's new readiness model 28 ships were ready to get underway within 24 hours.

Bataan (a helicopter carrier) and HSV (High Speed Vessel) 2 Swift, out of Naval Station Ingleside, Texas, are off the affected coastline providing support. Four MH-53s (huge helos capable of moving 40-50 troops) and two HH-60s (capable of moving about 20 troops) off the Bataan are flying medevac and search and rescue (SAR) missions in Louisiana, and supporting the Coast Guard's 8th District. Bataan's hospital and staff has been augmented by an additional contingent from the Navy's Bureau of Medicine (BUMED), consisting of 85 personnel, including 12 physicians and 4 surgeons.

The Iwo Jima (large helo carrier) Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) is sailing from Norfolk, Va. loaded with disaster-response equipment. The USNS Arctic (T-AOE 8 - an oiler, ammunition and stores (as in refrigerated stores)) is currently off the Gulf Coast. USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) (large helo carrier), USS Shreveport (LPD 12) (large helo capable troop transport ship), and USS Tortuga (LSD 46) (large, helo capable troop transport ship) are expected soon. A medical staff augmentation for Iwo Jima is expected to be en route tomorrow.

The hospital ship, USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), is departing Baltimore by September 3 to bring some 270 medical staff, capable of supporting 250 hospital beds, to the Gulf region. Project Hope has offered to embark additional medical personnel, and the Air Force's Surgeon General has offered to provide still further staff if needed.

USS Harry S. Truman (aircraft carrier) (CVN 75) and USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41) (same as Tortuga above) are sailing today for areas off the Gulf Coast in support to FEMA relief operations. Truman will serve as a command center and an afloat staging base, and will carry additional helicopters from Naval Air Station Jacksonville to support search and rescue efforts. Whidbey Island will bring to the region the ability to employ a movable causeway.

USS Grapple (ARS 53) (salvage ship) is currently en route in order to assist with maritime and underwater survey and salvage operations.

Military Sealift Command has transferred control of five of its ships to the Navy's Second Fleet to provide further support to relief efforts. USNS Bellatrix, Altair, Pillilau, Bob Hope, and Argol are in the Gulf of Mexico already (all capable of carrying lots of food stuffs, and supplies). USNS Arctic is also at sea in the Gulf and acting as a FEMA support ship and providing logistics services support for the other ships at sea.

Navy helicopters from Jacksonville and Mayport, Fla., are supporting relief efforts, and Navy Seabees from Port Hueneme, Jacksonville, and Norfolk are on scene or making preparations to deploy to assist in relief operations.

USNS Pollux is operating onboard dialysis equipment for the patients of a local hospital, providing diesel fuel for area hospitals' generators, and providing meals and berthing to relief workers.

427777[/snapback]

I understand it takes time.

Not to sound like an ungrateful wiseguy. :rolleyes:0:) They are gonna pull into NOLA a "day late and a dollar short" to find dead, almost dead, humans on the verge of cannabilism.

Don't you understand when you are dieing, you want things NOW!

:P:(

I understand it takes time.

Not to sound like an ungrateful wiseguy. :rolleyes:  0:)  They are gonna pull into NOLA a "day late and a dollar short" to find dead, almost dead, humans on the verge of cannabilism.

Don't you understand when you are dieing, you want things NOW!

:P  :(

427791[/snapback]

what about this:

Rich, As a degreed Mechanical Engineer (with very limited experience in hydrology, I'd be the first to admit), I was disappointed by how slow the repair process was, specifically regarding the 17th Street Canal levee. It seems to me that the attempts to re-establish the levee at the break point were misguided at best: the gap is large, the levee underneath eroding, and unstable. It seemed to me a far more obvious solution was to use the Hammond Highway bridge (a newly constructed bridge just north of the levee break) as a logicalt area to establish a cofferdam. Then, once water flow over the broken section of the levee was stopped, re-establish the levee, and then start pumping out. The bridge provides a hard point for landing supplies, is accessible from Lake Ponchartrain (esp. via barges, which could carry large volumes of materials and equipment). This could have been done relatively easily as opposed to trying to establish a new levee section in rushing water. The only disadvantage that I could see would have been that the cofferdam would then have to be removed once the original levee was reestablished, but that's a minor problem given the level of flooding that ensued during the feeble attempts to plug the levee itself. Interestingly, from the limited photos I've seen, it seems that two cranes are now on the bridge. Wonder what's next in the minds of the engineers on site?