Part of Superdome roof leaking

Thailog80

Like right now the reporters on CNN seem disappointed that it was "downgraded" to a 4 because that doesn't sound as good as saying "cat 5".

421583[/snapback]

It's not as newsworthy. Cat 5's - Camille, Andrew - are extremely rare and thus great stories. Cat 4's...a dime a dozen...ho-hum...time to cut to a Cindy Sheehan story...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like right now the reporters on CNN seem disappointed that it was "downgraded" to a 4 because that doesn't sound as good as saying "cat 5".

421583[/snapback]

Its the whole thing about reportsing that a Cat 5 has made landfall (only 3 have in US history), where as cat 4's are just as dangerous, but doesnt have the same ring to it...

either way, this was one of the strongest storms on record (pressure wise and windspeed)

I think we already answered that somewhere else.  They could play at Ole Miss or any of the Louisiana stadiums that aren't significantly damaged.  LSU will have to look for a new stadium too since they play at the Superdome as well, don't they?

One thought might be the Astrodome, although I don't know how the Texans would feel about that.

421539[/snapback]

That would be JP's Tulane University. Speaking of Tulane, student oriantation started this past weekend. What a nightmare that must be.

What amazes me is the sheer SIZE of the storm.

I was looking at a satellite image of it yesterday and all the associated cloudcover had nearly the ENTIRE Gulf of Mexico blanketed. Amazing.

The other thing that shocked me was how powerful this storm is. I heard one guy on TWC last night say that even when it's over the Ohio River Valley, it has the potential to be a cat 1 hurricane still. That's a strong storm.

421583[/snapback]

Well, let's make the minute distinction here. I can understand how Pete Hamill writes, "The best newspapermen I know are those most thrilled by the daily pump of city room excitements; they long fondly for a 'good murder'; they pray that assassinations, wars, catastrophes, break on their editions."

It's like being a firefighter; you can't prove your mettle w/o a fire. It's kind of a dark way of thinking about it, but bad things in general are going to happen regardless of your existence, and they just want to be there to cover it. Doesn't make it sound less callous when it gets into specific case like you give, tho.

That would be JP's Tulane University. Speaking of Tulane, student oriantation started this past weekend.  What a nightmare that must be.

421595[/snapback]

The MSNBC reporter in the Superdome's reporting live now that there's even more large holes opening in the roof...and while the stadium's not going anywhere, the field's pretty much flooding. I don't know that that surface is going to be ready for opening weekend.

Props to all the emergency services down there, though. They had the foresight to, among other things, put civil engineers in the Superdome to evaluate any damage as it occurred. A pretty good and smart level of preparedness...

CNN reporter just sid that the outer roof membrane is shredded and hanging over the outside of the structure.  Wonder where the Saints are going to be playing their games this year.

421606[/snapback]

My guess is "outside."

This is a twisted quote for a damage expert on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/katr...sday/index.html

"So, imagine you're the poor person who decides not to evacuate: Your house will disintegrate around you. The best you'll be able to do is hang on to a light pole, and while you're hanging on, the fire ants from all the mounds -- of which there is two per yard on average -- will clamber up that same pole. And, eventually, the fire ants will win."

The other thing that shocked me was how powerful this storm is. I heard one guy on TWC last night say that even when it's over the Ohio River Valley, it has the potential to be a cat 1 hurricane still. That's a strong storm.

421599[/snapback]

Wow.

Whenever hurricanes hit, I'm always reminded of the parable about the man who builds on sand and the man who builds on rock.

It's not as newsworthy.  Cat 5's - Camille, Andrew - are extremely rare and thus great stories.  Cat 4's...a dime a dozen...ho-hum...time to cut to a Cindy Sheehan story...

421585[/snapback]

Well, she is a Nazi, you know. Did you just win this argument?

I had some time for extended TV viewing yesterday. Fox News was a real treat to watch. After an hour or so I concluded from Fox that 1) New Orleans was going to disappear, 2) the US economy was going to crumble, I actually heard Shepard Smith tell me straight up that this would cause a recession, and then 3) Invading hordes of Liberal Russians were going to take advantage of this and take us over.

While I do expect higher prices at the supermarket, the mall and the gas pump, I'm sure the downgrade really put a bug up their ass this morning.

The MSNBC reporter in the Superdome's reporting live now that there's even more large holes opening in the roof...and while the stadium's not going anywhere, the field's pretty much flooding.  I don't know that that surface is going to be ready for opening weekend. 

Props to all the emergency services down there, though.  They had the foresight to, among other things, put civil engineers in the Superdome to evaluate any damage as it occurred.  A pretty good and smart level of preparedness...

421605[/snapback]

They replayed a file interview with the Director of Emergency Services for Lafayette Parish last night on CNN. He was great. They computer modeled this exact scenario (probably worse as it turns out) last year with FEMA and all the state and local agencies and officials...

They had him via phone live after the interview and he said that the thing that surprised him about this preparation is how many folks actually evacuated--it exceeded all their best case planning. He said he was thankful for that because it would make immediate clean up and public health issues less of a concern.

I left the interview with the feeling of "I want that guy in charge" when the sh-- hits the fan...

Well, she is a Nazi, you know.  Did you just win this argument?

I had some time for extended TV viewing yesterday.  Fox News was a real treat to watch.  After an hour or so I concluded from Fox that  1) New Orleans was going to disappear, 2) the US economy was going to crumble, I actually heard Shepard Smith tell me straight up that this would cause a recession, and then 3) Invading hordes of Liberal Russians were going to take advantage of this and take us over.

While I do expect higher prices at the supermarket, the mall and the gas pump, I'm sure the downgrade really put a bug up their ass this morning.

421613[/snapback]

Wait, you didn't get in a Halliburton remark :P:blink::doh:

Silly rabbit, if you don't like FOX or find it fiction, tune into some reality - CNN :doh:

Wait, you didn't get in a Halliburton remark  :P  :blink:  :doh:

Silly rabbit, if you don't like FOX or find it fiction, tune into some reality - CNN :doh:

421619[/snapback]

Who said I didn't like Fox News? I love Fox News! And there was no mention of any defense contractors during the day, either. Sorry, I guess there are none in the path of the hurricane.

Well, she is a Nazi, you know.  Did you just win this argument?

I had some time for extended TV viewing yesterday.  Fox News was a real treat to watch.  After an hour or so I concluded from Fox that  1) New Orleans was going to disappear, 2) the US economy was going to crumble, I actually heard Shepard Smith tell me straight up that this would cause a recession, and then 3) Invading hordes of Liberal Russians were going to take advantage of this and take us over.

421613[/snapback]

FoxSnooze is only "fair and balanced"; notice they make no claims to be "truthful and accurate". :P

MSNBC's coverage is actually very good. I'm rather surprised.

FoxSnooze is only "fair and balanced"; notice they make no claims to be "truthful and accurate".  :P

MSNBC's coverage is actually very good.  I'm rather surprised.

421638[/snapback]

I'll consider that for future disasters, thanks. CNN is rather boring. I can only take so much of a reporter trying to talk in a wind tunnel.