Part of Superdome roof leaking

Thailog80

From cnn.com....

About a million people fled the area, and about 10,000 people who couldn't leave hunkered in the mammoth Louisiana Superdome.

From MSNBC.com...

Superdome loses power and pieces of roof

But governor says 8,000 refugees 'not in any dangerous situation

The governor may be right and the people may be safe... but I don't think you can overlook missing 2,000 people.

This is looking bad though. Maybe the Saints will just take the hint and stay in Southern California. The 2005 San Jose Saints... it's got a ring to it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From cnn.com....

From MSNBC.com...

The governor may be right and the people may be safe... but I don't think you can overlook missing 2,000 people.

This is looking bad though. Maybe the Saints will just take the hint and stay in Southern California. The 2005 San Jose Saints... it's got a ring to it.

421732[/snapback]

Your New Orleans Saints of Los Angeles will share a stadium with your Buffalo Bills of Los Angeles.

Right LA? :D

This is what I like to read-

"The neighborhood is now running on portable generators, so we have cold beer. "

421784[/snapback]

As much as I am happy they have cold beer I am even happier about reading this-

Reportedly, the key to preventing a Lake Pontchartrain flood is for the water levels to remain below 8.0 feet. (I am not certain of this, but it's what I've been told.) As of 10:19, the level was 6.75 feet at Midlake. However, according to the storm surge gauge at Bayou LaBranche, which is attached to the lake, the water level appears to have plateaued.

Lake Pontchartain is now at 4.65 feet and declining in depth

Believe it now, James?

421687[/snapback]

That probably looks a lot worse than it actually is. My point was that the steel girdwork is still standing; it's the canvas and sheeting that's gone. The reports were that part of the roof was "blown off." The reactionaries were essentially saying that when half of the shingles blow off, a roof is utterly, utterly destroyed, even tho the beams are still standing.

Wow. Weather Channel just had Jim Cantore on the phone from Gulfport MS - they've evacuated into the upper floors of the vets home they were sheltering in. Since the building is 27' above sea level, and they've got approx. 10' of water, he calculates a 37' storm surge - possibly the largest recorded in North American history.

Los Angeles Saint.

The Angels Saints ??

The players will need to all wear Halo's or something.

421764[/snapback]

It's been done. In the early 1960's, players on the Los Angeles Angels had silver halo's stitched into the top of their ballcaps.

It's been done.  In the early 1960's, players on the Los Angeles Angels had silver halo's stitched into the top of their ballcaps.

421870[/snapback]

Saw a report on Fox News from the Superdome. First of all, the roof is made of concrete and the structure was built to withstand roughly Cat 3 type winds. From the pictures on TV, it really looks like only a small portion of one of the roof's sides has been ripped open. From all appearances, the weather people are overhyping the damage just like they overhype the snowfall in Buffalo. I would suspect the Bills will be playing there by the first weekend in Oct. The Superdome is vital to the cities tourism and convention business and right now they're losing something like $1 B a day b/c of this storm. Consequently, it will be one of the first public facilities repaired.

Saw a report on Fox News from the Superdome.  First of all, the roof is made of  concrete and the structure was built to withstand roughly Cat 3 type winds.  From the pictures on TV, it really looks like only a small portion of one of the roof's sides has been ripped open.  From all appearances, the weather people are overhyping the damage just like they overhype the snowfall in Buffalo.  I would suspect the Bills will be playing there by the first weekend in Oct.  The Superdome is vital to the cities tourism and convention business and right now they're losing something like $1 B a day b/c of this storm.  Consequently, it will be one of the first public facilities repaired.

421882[/snapback]

No, not what we might think of as concrete. I have been flipping all day, and they as well as others said what it was, a thin membrane with a treatment to make it inflexible. To use concrete for such an unsupported expanse is not feasible.

Using a thin layer of some inorganic is a possible and desireable thing - UV resistance for example, but it is certainly not a load-bearing concrete construction.

They should entertain the crowd in the Superdome by playing the epic film "Great moments in New Orleans Saints History". That would kill at least 5 minutes....... :D

Sorry, just had to post it...my diarrhea of the brain...

Again, it would be a great time to make a donation to your charity of choice that will provide food, clothing, medicine, care, temporary shelter to those impacted...

They should entertain the crowd in the Superdome by playing the epic film "Great moments in New Orleans Saints History".  That would kill at least 5 minutes....... :D

421900[/snapback]

Actually, the movie "Number One" starring Charlton Heston, would be most apt...

Number One

One of the tv meterologists said a while ago that as the eye moves northward, the wind rotation will drive south winds and push the lake's water against the North N.O. levee.

421821[/snapback]

Is this when they expect the levee to be breached ? Because most reports made it seem like it would have been breached by now ?