Almost forgot about Ruben's revenge

JoeF

I almost forgot that we are going to see Ruben Brown as an opponent tonight. The Chicago Sun Times article linked on the home page has this gem of a paragraph:

Look beyond that, though, and you find that a slow burn caused by a strained three-year relationship with coach Gregg Williams, as well as difficulties with two assistants, greased the skids. Brown was held out of the final game of 2003 by Williams for reportedly showing up late for a meeting and going over a table after offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. The two previous seasons, Brown didn't approve of offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek, a longtime Williams crony.

Ruben is the player version on Buddy Ryan...that is awesome!!! I would have paid big money to see that scrap--with Gilbride ending up comatose on the floor...smug bastard that he was/still is.

I loved RB as a Bill and as a contributing member of the Buffalo community but...

....going over the table at OC Kevin Glibride......

I have a new found respect for old Ruben Brown.

the comments by marv levy are also very interesting. none of these stories are one-sided. in any case, the guys who booted ruben out the door are gone now, with the exception of donahoe. ruben is probably more mad at greggo than anyone.

ruben was a very solid guard for the bills whom i think most of us would agree was a bit overrated in terms of pro bowls and the national media. he's gone now, and i hope he's able to finish out his career in respectable fashion w/ the bears.

edit: i agree -- anyone who will take a shot at kevin killdrive goes up a notch in my book.

I almost forgot that we are going to see Ruben Brown as an opponent tonight.  The Chicago Sun Times article linked on the home page has this gem of a paragraph:

Look beyond that, though, and you find that a slow burn caused by a strained three-year relationship with coach Gregg Williams, as well as difficulties with two assistants, greased the skids. Brown was held out of the final game of 2003 by Williams for reportedly showing up late for a meeting and going over a table after offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. The two previous seasons, Brown didn't approve of offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek, a longtime Williams crony.

Ruben is the player version on Buddy Ryan...that is awesome!!!  I would have paid big money to see that scrap--with Gilbride ending up comatose on the floor...smug bastard that he was/still is.

418968[/snapback]

Ruben was in a tough spot. He hated his boss, his bosse's boss, and his bosse's bosse's boss; most likely justified in the assessment that they were all incompetents. If he could have waited a few more weeks, he might still be a Bill.

Butler overpaid both Ruben and Fina on their last contracts there is little doubt. Ruben made mental mistakes throughout his career that all-pro veterans shouldn't make--still he was an opinion leader on the team.

This just is another piece of evidence that Williams never won the team over--he hired assistants out of desparation and kinship rather than competency; he treated players like kids the first training camp (bullhorns at 6 AM, other bull sh--); and he was Mr. Cliche with the media. Hopefully when he takes over the Redskins from Gibbs he will have learned a lot.

Contrast that to what we have today..Mularkey is just as disciplined and dedicated as Williams but he has also:

1) Surrounded himself with a great staff--including Jerry Gray who even though he was a Williams guy seems to be adding to his reputation under Mularkey

2) Seemingly has the respect of the players--just by being honest and upfront and relying on them to perform or face the consequences.

3) Is now the clear leader of the franchise...TD is stepping back, Mularkey in this camp has assumed the "face of the franchise" role.

It may not translate into wins on the field--but it is apparent we are better off now from a coaching and team unity perspective than we were under Greggggggggg

The one thing in the article I don't understand is the accusation of TD blackballing Ruben in free agency. I can't imagine any NFL team not signing someone just because their former team says not to. If no one wanted Ruben, it's more likely because he wasn't worth as much as he thought he was.

PTR

ruben was a very solid guard for the bills whom i think most of us would agree was a bit overrated in terms of pro bowls and the national media. 

418973[/snapback]

who cares if he can run block, he couldnt pass block to save......... the QBs life.

over paid, overrated bum. who i was glad to see go.

"...HOLDING....NUMBER 79...10 YARD PENALTY...REPEAT FIRST DOWN..."

419018[/snapback]

we used to make bets on how long it would be until we heard that...it seemed to be a weekly occurrance...but reuben still was a great bill, and hes the man for going after gilbride...too bad no one else followed him, it woulda been nice seeing gilbride get gangbeat...

Rueben was a whipping boy for fans who exagerated his penalties as part of campaign. Long line of decent players (i.e. Glenn Parker) who like all high priced players was over priced but that is the way the NFL works. Fans continue to discount his abilities even though it was the coaches and fellow players who voted him into Pro Bowl. When the line was decent around him he was great but when line talent faultered he got too much blame.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a non issue. The people Ruben hates aren't here any more. Surprise, most Bills fans, and probably a few players currently with the Bills hate them too. Even if Ruben decides he hates the Bills organization too, there's not a lot he can do about it. He's not playing a position where he can really hurt someone with a good clean block. My guess is he'll have all he can handle trying to keep Sam Adams and Ron Edwards off of Hutchison. That's what he'll be thinking about.

If anything, Mike Gandy's feelings toward his former team would seem to be more pertinent. It was the current coaching regime that cut him loose this off season. Hopefully, Alex Brown, the Bears' RDE won't get so much as a whiff of JP Losman's hair spray.

In taking that action, Ruben put in motion what many many Bills fans wanted to do, but could not get close enough to Killdrive.

Throttle the bastard.

Don't kill him, just let him know that you hate what he stands for, and that he should be in some other line of work.

Thank you, Ruben!

"...HOLDING....NUMBER 79...10 YARD PENALTY...REPEAT FIRST DOWN..."

419018[/snapback]

:D:blink::lol:

I'm finishing up at work now, and when I read your post, I said it just like a referee sounds with the mic on. What a retard I am. And my whole office thinks I'm a tard now too. Oh well, fugg em.

God, I need opening day weekend bad.....real bad!