Madden on final list for HOF

envirojeff

Why shouldn't John Madden be in the HOF?

At one point, he had the highest winning percentage for coaches in NFL history.

His record in 10 seasons is 103-32-7. He was also one of the youngest head coaches in NFL history...age 33 when he took over the Raiders.

People born before 1975 forget this.

Mike

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to have a better ten year run than this.  And this was during a period with some dominant AFC teams.

+--------------+----------+

| Reg. Season  | Playoffs |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| Year  TM |   W   L   T  |   W   L  |

| 1969 oak |  12   1   1  |   1   1  |

| 1970 oak |   8   4   2  |   1   1  |

| 1971 oak |   8   4   2  |   0   0  |

| 1972 oak |  10   3   1  |   0   1  |

| 1973 oak |   9   4   1  |   1   1  |

| 1974 oak |  12   2   0  |   1   1  |

| 1975 oak |  11   3   0  |   1   1  |

| 1976 oak |  13   1   0  |   3   0  |

| 1977 oak |  11   3   0  |   1   1  |

| 1978 oak |   9   7   0  |   0   0  |

| TOTALS   | 103  32   7  |   9   7  |

417189[/snapback]

So, Marty the Schottenheymer gets in also?

His teams won a lot of games, during the regular season?

So, Marty the Schottenheymer gets in also?

His teams won a lot of games, during the regular season?

417394[/snapback]

Where exactly did I say that?

Schottenheimer has won 60% of his regular season games, less than 30% of his post season games and never reached the SB. His teams have consistently underachieved in the playoffs.

Madden won more than 76% of his games and won a SB. He did it while competing against the most complete football dynasty in the Super Bowl era. (And he got screwed out of another SB by the bad 'Immaculate Reception' call in Pittsburgh).

What a ridiculous comparison.

The fact that he needed to be picked by seniors committee tells you that the younger and maybe wiser voters did not want the baffoon in the hall many times but like lemings they will follow the lead of the pack over the cliff.

417369[/snapback]

"baffoon!?"

i am still waiting for someone to give me a real reason why madden DOESN'T belong in the hall as a SUPERBOWL WINNING COACH, not a tired old cliche of a broadcaster! i had enough wap! pow! booms! for one lifetime about 10 years ago myself...but you gotta be kidding me if you say this guy was not a seriously great coach.

and glenn! you, of all people, are old enough to know better!! :lol:

GIVE ME A BREAK!! If it wasn't for his Jabba-the-Hut ass all over the TV running his yap about everything from foot powder to hardware, he wouldn't get a second look.

:lol:  :o  :P

Jeff

417145[/snapback]

Huh? He wouldn't get a second look? Go back and read up on Madden. He was a great coach, and if I am not mistaken, the youngest coach to reach the 100 victory mark. It is a shame that as time passes, people forget what made the game great...diss Madden as an announcer all you want (although there too, I think people are way to harsh in their criticisms of him), but as a coach, his achievements are up there with any of them. What has kept him out so long, is that he "only" coached 10 years, a paltry number of years, compared to other HOF coaches. Madden rolled up an incredible W-L record with a good team, playing in maybe the greatest era of NFL football.... :lol:

Why shouldn't John Madden be in the HOF?

At one point, he had the highest winning percentage for coaches in NFL history.

His record in 10 seasons is 103-32-7.  He was also one of the youngest head coaches in NFL history...age 33 when he took over the Raiders.

People born before 1975 forget this.

Mike

417393[/snapback]

I agree, there is obviously an age division on TSW! It kills me that supposed "football fans" will post time after time things like "Sure TO is a jerk, but come Sunday, he produces, he is the greatest WR in the game today", but then they will turn around and ignorantly write off someone like Maddens credentials, because they don't like his announcing style...welcome to the ADD era, I am glad someone has come up for a name for it...when I was growing up, it was usually just called being "stupid". :lol:

IMO i have always thought that the hall is for players and coaches to a MUCH lesser degree. There are a handfull of coaches that belong in there that are icons, Madden IMO is far from an icon.

Jeff

And whoever said that the NFL films founders should be in is crazy!

IMO i have always thought that the hall is for players and coaches to a MUCH lesser degree. There are a handfull of coaches that belong in there that are icons, Madden IMO is far from an icon.

Jeff

417514[/snapback]

Well he's actually not very far from an icon ...... if memory serves me right ...... he's second to only Vince Lombardi in wins (or maybe it was winning percentage). While I agree he is pretty irritating as an announcer, he was one hell of a coach. His induction to the hall is for his coaching acomplishments, he shouldn't be overlooked because of his announcing abominations.

What has kept him out so long, is that he "only" coached 10 years, a paltry number of years, compared to other HOF coaches.  Madden rolled up an incredible W-L record with a good team, playing in maybe the greatest era of NFL football.... :lol:

417476[/snapback]

During his years as coach, the Steelers & Dolphins won 7 of the 10 SBs (IIRC). Madden's Raiders won 1/3 of the others. Not bad.

I really agree with you, Buftex. Ten years of domination by a player is a sure lock for HOF. Ten years by a coach makes you wait. Yeah, it's been long enough. He was a great coach. With that kind of early results in his career, I would have found an alternative for flying. If he had coached another 10 years, the Raiders would have won more than just one more SB -- they might have kept the Forty-Whiners out of the dynasty column.

Right on jester. Madden was the real deal.

And those 70's Raiders teams he won with were true classics.

However, this made me feel really old:

"Madden, chosen by the hall's seniors committee, will be joined by 13 other candidates from the modern era."

417225[/snapback]

Just like Stram - it shouldn't have taken the seniors committee to set things right. Both should have been in long ago.

For those of you who think ten years isn't a long enough career, that's how long Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi were head coaches. Some guy named Belichick is currently in his tenth year - if he were to quit today, do you think he's got a shot someday? Just maybe?

A few current HOF coaches:

George Allen (1966-77): 116-47-5, .712; playoffs 2-7

Joe Gibbs (1981-92, 2004): 130-70, .650; playoffs 16-5; 3 Super Bowl wins

Vince Lombardi (1959-67, 1969): 96-34-6, .739; playoffs 9-1; 5 NFL titles, 2 Super Bowl wins

Earle "Greasy" Neale (1941-50) 63-43-5, .590; playoffs 3-1; 2 NFL titles

Bill Walsh (1979-87): 92-59-1, .609; playoffs 10-4; 3 Super Bowl wins

John Madden (1969-78): 103-32-7, .759; playoffs 9-7, 1 Super Bowl win

I'd say Madden compares well. As noted, his Raiders took out the SuperSteelers once (and it should have been twice). And don't forget the absolute hose job of all hose jobs that sent the Broncos to Super Bowl XII, or else 'Snake' Stabler and the boys would most likely have back-to-back rings instead of just one.

John Madden was one hell of a coach. For more than 100 wins, he has the second highest winning percentage only behind Lombardi. It seems to me a lot of you didn't exist or were in diapers when he did coach. All you say is his announcing (I think he is a colorful).

For a 112-39-7 record, I will take that any day of the week.

The fact that he needed to be picked by seniors committee tells you that the younger and maybe wiser voters did not want the baffoon in the hall many times but like lemings they will follow the lead of the pack over the cliff.

417369[/snapback]

Lots of great players went to the senior committee, 2 of them go in this year. George Allen was voted in by the senior committee.

Hard to have a better ten year run than this.  And this was during a period with some dominant AFC teams.

+--------------+----------+

| Reg. Season  | Playoffs |

| Year  TM |  W  L  T  |  W  L  |

| 1969 oak |  12  1  1  |  1  1  |

| 1970 oak |  8  4  2  |  1  1  |

| 1971 oak |  8  4  2  |  0  0  |

| 1972 oak |  10  3  1  |  0  1  |

| 1973 oak |  9  4  1  |  1  1  |

| 1974 oak |  12  2  0  |  1  1  |

| 1975 oak |  11  3  0  |  1  1  |

| 1976 oak |  13  1  0  |  3  0  |

| 1977 oak |  11  3  0  |  1  1  |

| 1978 oak |  9  7  0  |  0  0  |

| TOTALS  | 103  32  7  |  9  7  |

417189[/snapback]

Did OT get established in 1974? What's with all the ties?

I agree, there is obviously an age division on TSW!  It kills me that supposed "football fans" will post time after time things like "Sure TO is a jerk, but come Sunday, he produces, he is the greatest WR in the game today", but then they will turn around and ignorantly write off someone like Maddens credentials, because they don't like his announcing style...welcome to the ADD era, I am glad someone has come up for a name for it...when I was growing up, it was usually just called being "stupid".    ;)

417477[/snapback]

I agree 100%! It is clear that the "Hot Pockets" generation has no time to read up on Madden for even 5 minutes. He was a great coach who deserves to be in the hall. What he does in the broadcast booth is irrelevent.

f

Jeff

417514[/snapback]

Uhh, so Madden is not a coaching icon? IMO, if you showed 1,000 people across the country, who considered themselves non-football fans, pictures of all of the coaches in the hall of fame, Madden would probably be the one most commonly identified, except for maybe Lombardi...what is more iconicastic than that? For a very large part of the population, I would venture to guess, Madden is one of the most identifiable faces to ever be associated with professional football, for whatever the reasons (tv, video games, endorsements). That fact, coupled with his astounding record as a head coach, make him a FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME no brainer! :devil: