Madden on final list for HOF

envirojeff

I read a story once about the whole Darryl Stingley episode. Stingley stated that when he came to in the hospital bed (apparently he was in a come of sorts), the first thing he heard was a man crying. When he opened his eyes, it was John Madden. Some say that Madden was never the same after this.

Coach Madden is a sensitive guy who cared about the players and fans. I like his thing with the Thanksgiving turkey every year. Imo, it is part of the holiday tradition.

Yeah, the NFL owes a ton to this man, and I am floored that it took him this long to get in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like Stram - it shouldn't have taken the seniors committee to set things right. Both should have been in long ago.

For those of you who think ten years isn't a long enough career, that's how long Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi were head coaches. Some guy named Belichick is currently in his tenth year - if he were to quit today, do you think he's got a shot someday? Just maybe?

A few current HOF coaches:

George Allen (1966-77): 116-47-5, .712; playoffs 2-7

Joe Gibbs (1981-92, 2004): 130-70, .650; playoffs 16-5; 3 Super Bowl wins 

Vince Lombardi (1959-67, 1969): 96-34-6, .739; playoffs 9-1; 5 NFL titles, 2 Super Bowl wins

Earle "Greasy" Neale (1941-50) 63-43-5, .590; playoffs 3-1; 2 NFL titles

Bill Walsh (1979-87): 92-59-1, .609; playoffs 10-4; 3 Super Bowl wins

John Madden (1969-78): 103-32-7, .759; playoffs 9-7, 1 Super Bowl win

I'd say Madden compares well. As noted, his Raiders took out the SuperSteelers once (and it should have been twice). And don't forget the absolute hose job of all hose jobs that sent the Broncos to Super Bowl XII, or else 'Snake' Stabler and the boys would most likely have back-to-back rings instead of just one.

417644[/snapback]

Lori, if you are going to sit there and spew opinions at us, please back them up with a few facts. :devil:

Yeah, just who the hell does she think she is, anyway?

418957[/snapback]

:devil: to both of you.

:P

Can't help being biased on this question - the first football jersey I ever owned was a silver-and-black Ken Stabler #12. It took the Bills signing Kelly and drafting Conlan to finally coax me away from the dark side....

you did? cool.

i admit i loved the 70s raiders as well (second only to the bills), as it was the only way to get relief from all the steeler and dolphin geeks that infested our poor little town during that era. i cannot tell you how many times i begged for the bills to please hurry up and finish getting their asses beat so i could see/hear curt gowdy call the raiders game.

you did?  cool.

i admit i loved the 70s raiders as well (second only to the bills), as it was the only way to get relief from all the steeler and dolphin geeks that infested our poor little town during that era.  i cannot tell you how many times i begged for the bills to please hurry up and finish getting their asses beat so i could see/hear curt gowdy call the raiders game.

419026[/snapback]

The Steelers geeks are still here, of course - and loud and proud after last season. Oddly, though, I don't hear too much from the Fish fans these days...... :devil:

I read a story once about the whole Darryl Stingley episode. Stingley stated that when he came to in the hospital bed (apparently he was in a come of sorts), the first thing he heard was a man crying. When he opened his eyes, it was John Madden. Some say that Madden was never the same after this.

Coach Madden is a sensitive guy who cared about the players and fans. I like his thing with the Thanksgiving turkey every year. Imo, it is part of the holiday tradition.

Yeah, the NFL owes a ton to this man, and I am floored that it took him this long to get in.

418935[/snapback]

I followed the AFC since it started in 1960, and IMO Madden was the greatest coach in that league/division. Most people believe that Madden gave up football coaching due to the Stingley incident, and the type of players that Davis was signing. Even from the sidelines, Madden could pick up on what each and every player was doing after the snap. And he might have been one of the greatest college coaches ever, if Al Davis hadn't picked up on the job he was doing with (I believe) San Diego State.

f

Uhh, so Madden is not a coaching icon?  IMO, if you showed 1,000 people across the country, who considered themselves non-football fans, pictures of all of the coaches in the hall of fame, Madden would probably be the one most commonly identified, except for maybe Lombardi...what is more iconicastic than that?  For a very large part of the population, I would venture to guess, Madden is one of the most identifiable faces to ever be associated with professional football, for whatever the reasons (tv, video games, endorsements).  That fact, coupled with his astounding record as a head coach, make him a FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME no brainer!  :P

418929[/snapback]

Buftex, what a ridiculous post. Of course they will pick him out of a crowd, he's constantly on TV hocking something!! Your making my point :devil:

Jeff

I agree, there is obviously an age division on TSW!  It kills me that supposed "football fans" will post time after time things like "Sure TO is a jerk, but come Sunday, he produces, he is the greatest WR in the game today", but then they will turn around and ignorantly write off someone like Maddens credentials, because they don't like his announcing style...welcome to the ADD era, I am glad someone has come up for a name for it...when I was growing up, it was usually just called being "stupid".    :devil:

417477[/snapback]

...what he said.

I am just as vocal as anyone when it comes to criticizing Madden as an announcer, but to say he doesn't have the credentials as a coach to belong in the Hall of Fame is false.

Back when Madden was coaching, most fans assumed that he was only a figurehead as coach and that Al Davis was calling the shots.

Today I am less sure, since with at least a dozen coaches since Madden, the Raiders have never achieved their past glory(Tom Flores era was short lived).

So maybe Madden was a real coach and the legend of "Al Davis the mastermind" behind the Raiders success is just a lot of hot air that has kept Madden out of the HOF.

Buftex, what a ridiculous post. Of course they will pick him out of a crowd, he's constantly on TV hocking something!! Your making my point :devil:

Jeff

419358[/snapback]

And you just made my point, again, that you don't understand what the word "icon" (the word you used) means... :P

You said IYO (in your opinion) Madden was not a "coaching icon". The little pocket NEW WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY defines "icon: an image which represents an idea or a set of ideas, often religious in nature". You were saying that Maddedn was not an icon, and I was contending, correctly I think, that Madden is possibly the best, or one of the best, known coach in NFL history, whether for his work in the media, or as a coach. That, plus the fact that he has a pretty sparkling coaching record should make him a much less controversial entrant into the PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME than you seem to feel he is.

And you just made my point, again,  that you don't understand what the word "icon" (the word you used) means... :lol:

You said IYO (in your opinion) Madden was not a "coaching icon".  The little pocket NEW WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY defines "icon:  an image which represents an idea or a set of ideas, often religious in nature".  You were saying that Maddedn was not an icon, and I was contending, correctly I think, that Madden is possibly the best, or one of the best,  known coach in NFL history, whether for his work in the media, or as a coach.  That, plus the fact that he has a pretty sparkling coaching record should make him a much less controversial entrant into the PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME than you seem to feel he is.

419515[/snapback]

:doh::doh::D:blink:

OK, you got me Webster! I just hope that D. McNabb can get into the HOF because he does a great job with those Chunky Soup adds :huh::huh:

Jeff