Quite Frankly, Steven A. Smith is not popular

SilverNRed

As they attempt to replicate things which worked before because they were fresh then (like Stuart Scott) when the attempt to do it again or adjust it to make it even more in your face it comes across as little more than a parody.

Even Stuart Scott who was a funny change of pace when he was not the norm is now a little bit old INHO as they seek vehicles for him.

Even Chris Berman who was fresh and interesting compared to stiffs like Sonny Jurgenson has not made the transition to being like Uncle Walter Cronkite because the old hands are good because they are quiet and steady an the stichk of doing 70s songs in names just gets older and older and i don't know enough of late 90s tunes to allow this to translate.

I would be pleased if OLN becomes a market alterative to ESPN as competition may push both to be better. Its not guramteed because that same competition in a media forum has resulted in both CNN and Fox being pretty bad, but hope springs eternal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like his militant, Louis Farrakhan loving, cracker-hating in your face attitude that exudes every time his face is on the screen and is reinforced when he opens his mouth. It's just how I feel. :D

ESPN is one of, if not THE most profitable networks on television with the exception of HBO considering outlay and revenue. It's far more profitable than its sister network station ABC, so it's hard to complain with what they are doing. It's about time to start blaming us idiots for eating up this crap up rather than them idiots for dishing it out. If we don't watch, they don't make. This show will not last long.

ESPN is one of, if not THE most profitable networks on television with the exception of HBO considering outlay and revenue. It's far more profitable than its sister network station ABC, so it's hard to complain with what they are doing. It's about time to start blaming us idiots for eating up this crap up rather than them idiots for dishing it out. If we don't watch, they don't make. This show will not last long.

411119[/snapback]

I think that's the point. No one is watching. Time for ESPN to wake up.

I think that's the point.  No one is watching.  Time for ESPN to wake up.

411127[/snapback]

Yes and no. They are not going to hit homeruns every time out. I couldn't believe they gave that idiot his own show and stage because I had never heard of anyone that liked him. But it also seems clear that they have been successful with loud-mouthed, obnoxious blowhards who think they're a lot smarter and funnier than they are because that is how they built-up their franchise with shows like Sports Center.

I don't like his militant, Louis Farrakhan loving, cracker-hating in your face attitude that exudes every time his face is on the screen and is reinforced when he opens his mouth.  It's just how I feel.  :D

411118[/snapback]

Yeah I caught him on the Dan Patrick Show being interviewed by Linda Cohn. He said that the reason the media has been so negative towards Terrell Owens is that the white journalists are all jealous of him because he's richer than them and he's black. Just an idiot from start to finish.

Quite Frankly, I HAVE TO SHOUT ALL THE TIME TO GET MY FREAKIN' POINT ACROSS!!

I honestly cannot stand watching this crap when all they do is shout and talk louder than the guy who disagrees. Its very painful to watch more than 5 minutes of this garbage.

ESPN has become very difficult to tune into. I'm so glad they dropped hockey too. At least OLN will give it a legitimate prop.

I agree though, that Rich Eisen is a very good personality on NFL network and states his thoughts well. And he doesn't even have to shout. Imagine that!

Their latest show--the Entertainment Tonight clone also has received dismal rantings.  An article I read said the ratings could be attributed to family pets walking on the remote.  I hope this gives them a wake up call.

411202[/snapback]

:D:doh::doh:

As they attempt to replicate things which worked before because they were fresh then (like Stuart Scott) when the attempt to do it again or adjust it to make it even more in your face it comes across as little more than a parody.

Even Stuart Scott who was a funny change of pace when he was not the norm is now a little bit old INHO as they seek vehicles for him.

Even Chris Berman who was fresh and interesting compared to stiffs like Sonny Jurgenson has not made the transition to being like Uncle Walter Cronkite because the old hands are good because they are quiet and steady an the stichk of doing 70s songs in names just gets older and older and i don't know enough of late 90s tunes to allow this to translate.

I would be pleased if OLN becomes a market alterative to ESPN as competition may push both to be better. Its not guramteed because that same competition in a media forum has resulted in both CNN and Fox being pretty bad, but hope springs eternal.

411101[/snapback]

FFS:

Are you ill or having keyboard problems? This is the shortest post EVER by you :D

FFS:

Are you ill or having keyboard problems?  This is the shortest post EVER by you :D

411278[/snapback]

he must be sick, because its like his 3rd or 4th post today that was under 5,000 characters...whats going on FFS?

Yeah I caught him on the Dan Patrick Show being interviewed by Linda Cohn.  He said that the reason the media has been so negative towards Terrell Owens is that the white journalists are all jealous of him because he's richer than them and he's black.  Just an idiot from start to finish.

411192[/snapback]

You're kidding me right?

Can't people accept that TO is just a TOOL who happens to be a very talented football player??

Does *EVERYTHING* boil down to race?? When does this white vs black crap stop? Man, I hope in my lifetime....I sure am sick of it..

edge NFL matchup and NFL countdown are the only shows (aside from live sporting events) worth watching on the network, now that NFL primetime is no more...

"hey look....fonzie's going to jump the shark on waterskis!"

You're kidding me right?

411287[/snapback]

No, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I couldn't believe that the guy actually believed what he was saying. And I couldn't believe Linda Cohn was too frightened to challenge him on the statement. And while I was paraphrasing the quote it's pretty dead on. He actually said that the predominantly white journalists were jealous of T.O. because he is richer than them and black.

Quite frankly, other than NFL Live and that Sunday NFL countdown I don't watch anything else on ESPN. Screaming anchors and exploding graphics give me a headache.

411253[/snapback]

So does their website. I haven't had it bookmarked in two years. Nothing but annoying graphics. It's worse than Bills Zone.