Bills Defense #1 this year?

Zona

We have heard the talk from certain player about their desire to be # 1 this year, and go down in history as one of the BEST EVER! What do you guys think ?

Seriously.

I think they have a chance to do it. They are extremely aggressive and fast. They are very well coached. They are certainly motivated. They have depth. they have the playmakers needed at LB and DB to to make impact plays. I am not sure about DL. They have a few holes in this area if they want the Best Ever title. But who knows, maybe they can cover this lack of strength with schemes.

All I know for sure is, the defense is fun to watch. I love the aggressive in your face style.

So, do you think we can get #1 this year?

We have heard the talk from certain player about their desire to be # 1 this year, and go down in history as one of the BEST EVER! What do you guys think ?

Seriously.

I think they have a chance to do it. They are extremely aggressive and fast. They are very well coached. They are certainly motivated. They have depth. they have the playmakers needed at LB and DB to to make impact plays. I am not sure about DL. They have a few holes in this area if they want the Best Ever title. But who knows, maybe they can cover this lack of strength with schemes.

All I know for sure is, the defense is fun to watch. I love the aggressive in your face style.

409398[/snapback]

Short answer? Without a doubt.

Our secondary is the best. Our linebacker corp is the best. Our defensive line is top 10. Overall? #1.

Our secondary is the best. Our linebacker corp is the best. Our defensive line is top 10. Overall? #1.

409402[/snapback]

What about best ever? in league with the Ravens in 2000. or the Bears in '85?

409406[/snapback]

I think the D could rank right up there. If they can dominate like Baltimore did in 2000, then a halfway decent O would give us a pretty good shot at a Lombardi. Right now the offense makes me nervous. I would hate to see this defense go to waste.

One of the biggest obstacles for the defense to overcome on the road to being considered great is the amount of times the offense will put them on the field. It's the law of averages coupled with the law of people just getting tired. Another shortocming on this defense is the lack of a top fligth pass rush.

I still have a hunch that Pittsburgh might edge us out again this year. They are an extremely solid (and mean) defensive unit. I do think our D will turn out to be overall as good as it was last year though, with a slight improvement vs. the pass and a slight drop vs. the run. :D

Depends. What will they look like when they aren't blitzing on darn near every play? Because sooner or later, the Bills WILL play against a QB who can beat the blitz.

(Until then, though, I'll enjoy watching them create chaos in opposing teams' backfields....... :D)

In order to be the BEST they need to not fall apart when faced with 3rd string offenses like Pittsburgh's "rest and keep out guys healthy" team last year. The defense was TERRIBLE that game. Eliminating bone headed plays/penalties (unnecesary roughness penalties, Clements interference showboating) is possible if they keep their heads on. And the Bills need to be better on bend-don't-break or Jerry Gray needs to do his best Bill Yoast immitation and just forget bending at all:

"I don't want them to gain another YARD, you blitz all night! They cross the line of scrimmage I swear to God I'm going to take every one of you out. You make sure they remember FOREVER, the night they played the Bills."

Seriously.

409398[/snapback]

I doubt it. Let's hope we don't run into another playoff contender's backups this year.

You know it all defines how you define #1, in yards, in points? I would rather see them rated a lot lower but being able to say "We made all the stops we had to." Until they can stop a team when they have to for a win, I don't think where they are rated makes any difference.

BTW, that post earlier to give them a name. I would have suggested the "Not ready for prime time Defense."

In order to be the BEST they need to not fall apart when faced with 3rd string offenses like Pittsburgh's "rest and keep out guys healthy" team last year.  The defense was TERRIBLE that game.  Eliminating bone headed plays/penalties (unnecesary roughness penalties, Clements interference showboating) is possible if they keep their heads on.  And the Bills need to be better on bend-don't-break or Jerry Gray needs to do his best  Bill Yoast immitation and just forget bending at all:

"I don't want them to gain another YARD, you blitz all night! They cross the line of scrimmage I swear to God I'm going to take every one of you out. You make sure they remember FOREVER, the night they played the Bills."

409550[/snapback]

I agree. They also need to be able to stop Corey Dillion. That was another issue last year. They are great against less talented teams. To be truely great they have to B*t@h Slap the big dogs.

Our defense will be #1 in the league. Kelsay is one guy to watch. He is going to have a monster year. He will lead the team in sacks. I just think we have great players that can achieve that goal. Lets Go Buffalo. Cant wait for opening day.

Best EVER with Aaron Schobel as the #1A passrusher on the team?  I don't see it.

409600[/snapback]

With all of the blitz packages the team will use how important are Schobel's stats? As long as he can hold his own and dominate on occasion we will be fine. We are stout in the middle, and opposin offenses will not know where the next blitz is coming from. Having the LB corp (and DE for zone blitzes) we do really opens up the possibilities for this D.

They just gotta prove it. No worries about three and outs by the O, this defense needs to dominate. Someone mentioned the Ravens above. They won with a chit offense because the D refused to lose. Our guys have to refuse to lose. No more games like Pittsburgh or Jacksonville are allowed if you want to call this defense great. They can do it, of that I have no doubt, but until they do, it's all just talk.

Seriously.

409398[/snapback]

First of all, I really like our defense. Alot. Obviously, it's our strength. Special teams are pretty.....well......special also. BUT, again, we are not playing the patsy schedule that we played last year.

Our stats last year are as good as the teams we played. I know, some people have to make football out to be some sort of brain surgery and disect this and that, and study film, and do all of that. But aside from that, alot of the times, you know you are superior in talent and physicality over some teams on your schedule. It's like that in high school, college and I'm sure the pros also. Doesn't mean you can't be beaten on a given day, but you know who is bad and who isn't.

Last year, especially in the run we made, the other teams offenses were just as bad as our defense was good.

One of the best defenses of all time? Give me a break. A good defense....yes. A great one? Not enough info to tell yet. They looked bad in some games against good teams. They also gave up HUGE plays in some close games that cost us games. That never happened to the Baltimore's, Pittsburgh's, and 85 Bears of the world.

I think gaudy numbers (#1 defense) against a much tougher schedule this year will be the key. That will make them a great defense. One of the best of all time will have to produce a #1 and a Super Bowl title, just like the other great D's.

409406[/snapback]

Someone mentioned the offense could hurt us as to how many times the D gets put on the field. Anyone remember the stinkin Ravens of 2000 going a little over 4 games with no TDs scored by the offense, and winning ALL 4 games. That my friends, was something special, and if we approach that, De Toit here we come

In order to be the BEST they need to not fall apart when faced with 3rd string offenses like Pittsburgh's "rest and keep out guys healthy" team last year.  The defense was TERRIBLE that game.  Eliminating bone headed plays/penalties (unnecesary roughness penalties, Clements interference showboating) is possible if they keep their heads on.  And the Bills need to be better on bend-don't-break or Jerry Gray needs to do his best  Bill Yoast immitation and just forget bending at all:

409550[/snapback]

Dude you just sent chills down my spine and brought a tear to my eye all at the same time....dammit man....

Our secondary is the best.

409402[/snapback]

I think you would be hard pressed to believe that the Bills secondary is better than the Ravens...

CB Samari Rolle

CB Chris McAlister

S Edward Reed

S Will Demps

That being said, if Vincent continues to make the transition to FS and McGee can become more consistent, this secondary is definitely top 5 material.