Add Pat Kirwin to those who dismiss the Bills

marck

Sometimes i completely fail to see the inner logic of these sportswriters. Many of them have said the same thing: It's like what Cincinnati did last year with Carson Palmer, which allowed them to have the same record as the year before.

But then they say the Bills situation is better than the Bengals. They acknowledge that the Bills have a top 2-3 defense, and the top special teams, and a stud running back, and very good receivers, and Sam Wyche as the perfect mentor, and they like the Bills coaching staff.

Then they end their analysis by saying that the Bills will finish worse than last year.

So, to re-iterate: They see the Bills in the same situation as the Bengals, who equalled the year before, and they like Losman, and think the Bills are a better team than the Bengals, but the Bills are going to backtrack.

It makes no sense.

Bills had a cake schedule last year. All numbers (offense, defense, ST) were boosted by the four NFC West games. The last game they played was their worst. To me, 8-8 doesn't seem like an unreasonable prediction. I am ALWAYS overly optimistic, and I have been saying 9-7 for awhile.

I see your point- the article shows love to the team, but the record prediction does not. But I think this guy would be a little off-base to throw a 12-4 out there. They still play the Pats twice, Broncos, two trips to the West Coast against improved Oakland and division champ San Diego, as well as Carolina at home and Cincy away again. Those certainly could all be wins, and they certainly could all be losses. Last year the Bills laid an egg against the good teams. I think the NFC is weak in general, but I liked Rams, Shehawks, Cardinals, 49ers better than I like Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Saints.

These sportwriters need to aks themselves if Losman will have a higher QB rating than 76 and get sacked less than 38 times? If the answer is yes or about the same, then the offense will be better as Losman's scrabbling ability will add a new dimension to the offense. I just don't see how you can analyze the 2005 Bills chances without comparing JP to what he is replacing.

Sometimes i completely fail to see the inner logic of these sportswriters. Many of them have said the same thing: It's like what Cincinnati did last year with Carson Palmer, which allowed them to have the same record as the year before.

But then they say the Bills situation is better than the Bengals. They acknowledge that the Bills have a top 2-3 defense, and the top special teams, and a stud running back, and very good receivers, and Sam Wyche as the perfect mentor, and they like the Bills coaching staff.

Then they end their analysis by saying that the Bills will finish worse than last year.

So, to re-iterate: They see the Bills in the same situation as the Bengals, who equalled the year before, and they like Losman, and think the Bills are a better team than the Bengals, but the Bills are going to backtrack.

It makes no sense.

401913[/snapback]

The Bills have better defense and special teams, but the Bengals have a better offensive line.

It will be interesting.

Many posts this morning are in regards to members of the national media dissing JP. (ie: he didn't play great in the scrimage, 8-8 predictions, etc)

The question I have is why are people shocked by this, and why do you think they are wrong?

The last great example of a QB in a similar situation to JP was Kyle Boller. Boller had the best defense and special teams in the league. He also had the best offensive line in football, a 2000 yd rusher, and a Probowl TE. He failed miserably, like most 1st year starters do.

Don't get me wrong I hope the kid plays well and TD was smart enough to bring in a safety net, Holcomb, just in case. I guess I just don't understand all the folks boohoo-ing over the media dumping on us a bit. Oh well, that is my rant.

Many posts this morning are in regards to members of the national media dissing JP. (ie: he didn't play great in the scrimage, 8-8 predictions, etc)

The question I have is why are people shocked by this, and why do you think they are wrong?

The last great example of a QB in a similar situation to JP was Kyle Boller. Boller had the best defense and special teams in the league. He also had the best offensive line in football, a 2000 yd rusher, and a Probowl TE. He failed miserably, like most 1st year starters do.

Don't get me wrong I hope the kid plays well and TD was smart enough to bring in a safety net, Holcomb, just in case. I guess I just don't understand all the folks boohoo-ing over the media dumping on us a bit. Oh well, that is my rant.

401942[/snapback]

I don't think columnists have been attacking the Bills, either. Pointing out a near rookie QB and an OL that has some question marks is simple observation in my book.

Also of note - Mularkey & Clements made Kordell a pro-bowl QB!

Writers also need to ask themselves if Losman will lead the league in sacks and turnovers by a QB as Drew has.

These sportwriters need to aks themselves if Losman will have a higher QB rating than 76 and get sacked less than 38 times?  If the answer is yes or about the same, then the offense will be better as Losman's scrabbling ability will add a new dimension to the offense.  I just don't see how you can analyze the 2005 Bills chances without comparing JP to what he is replacing.

401921[/snapback]

So Boller is a good comparison but Roethlisberger isn't? This Bills team and organization looks a lot more like the Steelers than the Ravens. So using your logic, I should use Rothlisberger as the measuring stick. Being a rookie had nothing to do with Boller struggling. He is just not a good QB. I just don't see how it is good journalism to mention JP's performance and the effect on the Bills 2005 record without talking about the quality of QB play the Bills got in 2004. The bottom line is will Losman be better than Bledsoe was last year when projecting the Bills 2005 record?

So Boller is a good comparison but Roethlisberger isn't?  This Bills team and organization looks a lot more like the Steelers than the Ravens. So using your logic, I should use Rothlisberger as the measuring stick.  Being a rookie had nothing to do with Boller struggling.  He is just not a good QB.  I just don't see how it is good journalism to mention JP's performance and the effect on the Bills 2005 record without talking about the quality of QB play the Bills got in 2004.  The bottom line is will Losman be better than Bledsoe was last year when projecting the Bills 2005 record?

401962[/snapback]

The Boller reference is used because the both have similar styles and were were given the starting job their second year without competing for it. Both had a strong RB, and a great D along with the best special teams in football. Big Ben came off the bench. He was never "given" anything. Ben, like Marino, was the exception and not the rule in regards to young QBs.

Also the Bills had an soft schedule the second half of the year last year. The schedule this year on paper is mush tougher. Bledsoe has nothing to do with how JP will play this year. By saying that all he has to do is play better than Bledsoe and we'll be fine is rediculous.

i'm a pat kirwan fan and enjoy his analysis on sirius NFL radio. i've heard him discuss the bills and he does not dislike them at all. i believe he respects TD and MM. i think he is just unwilling to put a lot of faith in a first-year starter. nobody thinks another team can follow the "big ben" model to a playoff season.

kirwan will be the first to give losman and the bills credit if they get out to a fast start and have a winning record.

Why does everybody assume that just because we have a new QB, we should be penciled in to make the playoffs? I get the feeling that most of you think JP will somehow be PB material this year and lead us into postseason! And if he doesn't, you'll crap all over the guy.

Relax, he is just a rookie and expecting too much will undermine his confidence. Hell, Palmer won the Heisman but he didn't take the Bengals on his shoulder to the playoffs. He needs time and I'm willing to give it to him.

It's up to the rest of the team to take us there. JP only needs to babysit the offense and NOT make any stupid mistakes.

From what I saw out of JP on Friday night, he'll be able to throw those short/safe passes and make plays on the run.  That's all I want him to do.

402009[/snapback]

Q: What type of mental blockhead can't throw a consistent short pass?

A: See '04' edition of Buffalo Bills.

It makes no sense.

401913[/snapback]

It seems to happen like that every year......it is like they add up 2 + 2 +2 and coming up with 3......if you say that we are strong in all facets of the TEAM except for QB and then say we are going to have a worse record.......well...we were weak at QB last year and went 9-7....AFTER LOSING OUR FIRST 4

This team has heart......the heart of this team is derived from its defense......

The Boller reference is used because the both have similar styles and were were given the starting job their second year without competing for it. Both had a strong RB, and a great D along with the best special teams in football. Big Ben came off the bench. He was never "given" anything. Ben, like Marino, was the exception and not the rule in regards to young QBs.

Also the Bills had an soft schedule the second half of the year last year. The schedule this year on paper is mush tougher. Bledsoe has nothing to do with how JP will play this year. By saying that all he has to do is play better than Bledsoe and we'll be fine is rediculous.

401988[/snapback]

If he plays better than Bledsoe, what do you think our record will be?

BTW, in spite of Boller, I have seen a few people predict a Super Bowl run for the Ravens.