[OT] What am I missing here?

My wife and I have been sort of amused by this local story for the last couple of days, but after thinking about it for a while, it has now begun to scare me.

In the Dallas suburbs, there is a new IKEA furniture store that is opening today.

Two words from me: So what?

And this is where this discussion would normally end, except that:

1. Dozens of people have been (literally) camping out in front of the store for the last few days, in order to be the first to enter the store when it opens. :devil:

2. The store is located in the City of Frisco, and the police department there is putting additional officers on overtime duty to handle the "mob of shoppers". :devil:

3. The City has put up about two dozen of those "variable message signs" along the roads around the store, in order to direct traffic. There's even a message on the overhead sign on the adjacent freeway telling people where to exit for the store. :devil:

4. There has been media coverage about this store for the past week, even more coverage than when President Bush visited Dallas last year. ;)

This leads to the following question:

What are my wife and I "missing" that all these other people "seem to get"?

Press Release

It is probably just some clever marketing.

No, it's not. IKEA has some really devoted followers. One opened in Minneapolis a year or so ago and the same thing happened here. I didn't know any of the people camping, but I talked to a lot of people who had been to the Chicago one and they all said it was the best store ever.

My wife and I went there a few months ago and weren't impressed with anything there. I think it's really good if you've just graduated from college and need something to furnish a new apartment or something, but that's about it...

Although their swedish meatballs are supposed to be really good (and cheap).

CW

People like paying normal furniture prices for pressboard furniture.

We have one near me, it has been years since I have been in there, and I can honestly say other then a few glasses, we have never bought anything there.

You forgot about the planes flying overhead carrying a sign reminding nearby residents that the store is about to open (not that we could forget because of the publicity).

We live in Allen (Custer & Hedgecoxe) and saw the plane overhead from our pool. I also saw the plane this morning towing the same sign in Plano.

You've never been to the one up in Burlington, ON or Tornoto? It was only 30 minutes from Lewiston Queenston... I always saw folks with Bills hats on up there.

We'd go up there to check out the stuff - rarely bought anything - but some folks really like their Ikea.

We're finally getting one here in Boston - 25 miles south of the city ~ near foxboro. Not quite sure the location makes sense - since most of the schools in Boston are um, in Boston.

I work with the retailing industry and have for my entire career. The IKEA phenomenon has been going on for years. Whenever they open a new store, the area experiences tremendous traffic issues during their first few days. There’s always a lot of fanfare when they open.

What you’re seeing, in addition to the desire to get a good deal, is the “shopping as entertainment” trend that Americans have always been drawn to. People think it’s fun to shop at and IKEA and go just to walk around and see stuff.

That’s not necessarily who I am but it is true of a surprisingly vast number of folks.

We just had one open in Atlanta and it was the same thing. One of my neighbors went there last weekend to buy a desk, this is about 2 months after the store has opened. They were in the store for about 2 hours just looking and all the crap and when they were done they went to buy the desk. They were told that it would take between 2-3 hours to get the desk out of the warehouse for them to take it with them. After already being there for almost 3 hours, my friend said never mind and left empty handed. All of this is to say the store may be too big for it's own good.

Been to one once and bought a CD rack and two pillows for the couch for $20. I wouldn't furnish a house there, but getting a thing or two is ok. The food there is good.

Besides, they tore down a big area of East Palo Alto, CA to build it. It was the cesspool of the SF area.

May you be beaten to within an inch of your life with a BJURÖN and your limp body tossed into a BROMMA..... :blink:

397066[/snapback]

Guff--I have no idea what you just said, but remember, kindler and gentler. :blink:

They are giving the first person in line a 'store check' as many places do to promote an opening. The lady who is first in line has been there 1 week. Guess how much she is going to get for being first. (locals keep yer yaps shut)