How's the heat in your neck of the woods?

I live in the SF bay area. The temps you see on the news for us are for SF itself. Inland a few miles ,it can be a LOT warmer. SF has been in the mid 60s for the last week. Oakland, just acrross the bay has been in the mid 70s. I live about 10-15 miles inland from Oakland and it has been from 97-103 here.

A few years ago, I heard on the TV it was 51 at the SF Zoo, which is at the ocean. I live about 35 miles away as the crow flies. At that time it was 105 here!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who like weather -- take a look at http://www.weatherbug.com.  It's kinda cool, tells you the temp, warns of approaching storms, has nice animated radar, pictures from cameras, etc.  It's free if you want to deal with ads on the display, or is $20/year if you want to have it ad-free.  I really like it.  (yes, the stats above are all from WeatherBug, and there's more :rolleyes: ).

There are similar free weather-tracking apps for your desktop available, but none seem as good as WeatherBug IMHO.

CW

389852[/snapback]

isn't weatherbug laden with spyware?

Put some rubbing alcohol on your hand or body - feels cool - that's because it is extracting heat out of your skin when it undergoes that phase change from liquid to vapor.

389991[/snapback]

also dries the crap out of your skin

i hope this winter is brutal...last winter was pansy-ish...snowed but wasn't cold enough for the snow to stick around...very short ski season

Down here in Fayetteville, NC 98 yesterday and suppose to be 102 today.

Heat index yesterday was 105, today it could be 114.

However, mid-80's by the weekend.

It's so hot you don't want to go outside.

Luckily everything in AC'd down here.

isn't weatherbug laden with spyware?

Nope -- it has adware (which isn't the same thing, although is often lumped together). If you don't pay the $20/year, the main display has a bunch of ads on it, and it occasionally pops up an ad while you're using it. If you pay for it, the ads all go away.

Spyware is stuff that steals keystrokes, logs where you're going on the net and sends it off to a centralized server, that sort of thing, and Weatherbug doesn't do those things.

CW

104 today and wed with heat indecies in 110+ like they say it aint the heat its the humidity that affects ya. Weird thing is yesterday it was 97 out and I played golf and wasnt so bad, I guess after almost 25 years in the south ya get used to it, plus knowing ya have central air to go into makes ya able to think cool!!!

I live on St. Croix in the US Virigin Islands. It is about 85 here today with a nice steady sea breeze. I am dreading the winter where it will probably get as low as 70 degrees. In fairness it did go up to about 90 on Sunday. It makes going to the beach (about 1/2 a mile away) essential. I'd tell you that life here is like a Corona commercial except it is cheaper to drink Red Stripe, and the place has a massive poverty problem. Oh well, so does Niagara Falls.

It is currently 88 degrees here in sunny Richmond, VA @ 10:15am. The projected high today is 100 degrees with heat indices of 110 to 115! Hazy, H-O-T, and humid as usual. Just another lovely VA summer. :rolleyes:

I live on St. Croix in the US Virigin Islands.  It is about 85 here today with a nice steady sea breeze. I am dreading the winter where it will probably get as low as 70 degrees.  In fairness it did go up to about 90 on Sunday.  It makes going to the beach (about 1/2 a mile away) essential.  I'd tell you that life here is like a Corona commercial except it is cheaper to drink Red Stripe, and the place has a massive poverty problem.  Oh well, so does Niagara Falls.

390246[/snapback]

Are you in Christiansted? I used to live in Red Hook and made the boat pretty regularly to visit Croix- back in the old days of 99 cent Cruzan 750s ;-)

And why wouldn't you choose the Stripe over Corona since it's a far better beer!

So camping in Death Valley when it is 115 and 10% humidity feels like camping in Illinois at 90 and 75% humidty?

Which is about 110 degrees.

:lol:  :lol:

Anyway you slice it... It is still hot!

:rolleyes:

390009[/snapback]

With an improvised desert cooler under a large fig tree in the old gold miming camp we 4 Wheel up to the factor on a 115 degree day in Death Valley will feel more like about a 75 degree day in Western New York. So that's the best place to "hydrate"; things turn a little toastier up at the horseshoe pit or out on the Frisbee Golf course.

Are you in Christiansted? I used to live in Red Hook and made the boat pretty regularly to visit Croix- back in the old days of 99 cent Cruzan 750s ;-)

And why wouldn't you choose the Stripe over Corona since it's a far better beer!

390299[/snapback]

We live mid island (Estate St. George) my wife works at the University and I work at the hospital, so the location is convenient for both work and access to either end of the island, and to the North Shore beaches. Plus we live about 3/4 up a mountain, so the view is great. (if you avoid the oil refinery)

While it would be tough to get a 750 of cruzan for 99cents, the distillery does makes a rum called "Buck Island Rum" and I bought a a liter bottle for 1.59 !!! Red Stripe is better than Corona, although both are better than Carib, a beer from Trinidad / Tobago.

Down here in Fayetteville, NC 98 yesterday and suppose to be 102 today.

Heat index yesterday was 105, today it could be 114.

However, mid-80's by the weekend.

It's so hot you don't want to go outside.

Luckily everything in AC'd down here.

390116[/snapback]

Reporting from the fayetteville regional airport at 11:25am its 93.0 degrees,heat index is 97. Temps will go over 100 today... by the way, krt, maybe you could PM me sometime... would love to watch a bills game with a fellow fan.

It is currently 88 degrees here in sunny Richmond, VA @ 10:15am. The projected high today is 100 degrees with heat indices of 110 to 115! Hazy, H-O-T, and humid as usual. Just another lovely VA summer.  :rolleyes:

390248[/snapback]

See my post above, see ya the SkateNation this afternoon

Expected heat index 115 today, and the power went out during last nights storm....Is it still out?  I'll find out when I go home.....oouch!

390337[/snapback]

We never lost power (I'm in the West End) although I did hear the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard in my life (no joke)...I thought the walls were coming down! Pretty wicked lightening storm, too.

See my post above, see ya the SkateNation this afternoon

390339[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town today for a funeral.