How's the heat in your neck of the woods?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why does everyone think the weather in Buffalo sucks so much? There was an article in this weeks art voice pointing our how much our weather does not suck compared to the rest of the country. No hurricanes/floods/drought/mud slides/earquakes/etc... Snow is easy to deal with compared to all of those things, and the heat rarely goes above 85.

We live mid island (Estate St. George) my wife works at the University and I work at the hospital, so the location is convenient for both work and access to either end of the island, and to the North Shore beaches.  Plus we live about 3/4 up a mountain, so the view is great. (if you avoid the oil refinery)

While it would be tough to get a 750 of cruzan for 99cents, the distillery does makes a rum called "Buck Island Rum" and I bought a a liter bottle for 1.59 !!! Red Stripe is better than Corona, although both are better than Carib, a beer from Trinidad / Tobago.

390333[/snapback]

You're not only centrally located but you can reach out your window and grab a cane of sugar! Aren't there a bunch of those poison trees in that part of Croix?

I miss the honor bars and night time swimming all year long- I also spent a lot of time on St. Johns, my girlfiend's family (DeLugo) are all over the USVIs.

Are you watching the games at a local bar? If I remember the Buccaneer had a football set up back in the C and Ku band days?

Just got back from vacation in Mammoth Caves where its a steady 54degrees underground. Niiiice.

Then in NC where we kept cool running some whitewater. Niiiiice

Then in Tennessee where I made sure there was a waterfall and pool at the end of almost every hike. Niiiiice.

Now I'm back in PA where it's just plain hot. Good thing I'm leaving for camp in 20 minutes where I'll float in the river while the kids bring me 'ritas for the rest of the day. :)

Cya suckers!

Kids use premix,

Oh no you don't.

My posse of 20 mini-tenders knows exactly what the triple sec is for.

When they run out of it I do give them permission to use the premix, but only if they have the good sense to put floaters on top.

Besides, then it will be dark enough to break out the Seagrams anyways. :)

We lost power at my house(West end too), again! Last week as well. My side of th the street only, again! Only 3 hours this time. As opposed to 17 days for the hurricane. It's wonderful to lose power and look across the street and see lights and tv's glowing. :) Oh well, it could be worse.

We never lost power (I'm in the West End) although I did hear the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard in my life (no joke)...I thought the walls were coming down! Pretty wicked lightening storm, too.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town today for a funeral.

390369[/snapback]

You're not only centrally located but you can reach out your window and grab a cane of sugar! Aren't there a bunch of those poison trees in that part of Croix?

I miss the honor bars and night time swimming all year long- I also spent a lot of time on St. Johns, my girlfiend's family (DeLugo) are all over the USVIs.

Are you watching the games at a local bar? If I remember the Buccaneer had a football set up back in the C and Ku band days?

390432[/snapback]

We watch the games at bar called Sharkies Bait Stand (yikes!) just outside of C'sted. Went to the Buccaneer once last year, only five TV's working at the time and they didn't want to put the Bills game on. Can you believe it? We went to Sharkies (were they sell something called "hot wings" with ranch dressing!!) and haven't looked back. Bunch of snobs at the Buccaneer anyway, where a round of golf costs in excess of $100.00, cart included of course. We've been here for about two years and I am not sure how much longer we can stay, as we are slowly getting "rock fever".

We lost power at my house(West end too), again! Last week as well. My side of th the street only, again! Only 3 hours this time. As opposed to 17 days for the hurricane. It's wonderful to lose power and look across the street and see lights and tv's glowing. :)  Oh well, it could be worse.

390505[/snapback]

All good at river and gaskins

We've been here for about two years and I am not sure how much longer we can stay, as we are slowly getting "rock fever".

390506[/snapback]

St. Croix has the most dangerous golf courses in the world ;-)

My cure for "shrinkage" was always a quick hop to St. Martin or St. Barts, according to how much human contact I wanted. That charged the batteries pretty well.

Hey Darin, are you anywhere around Anchorage. This just sucks from the National Boy Scout Jamboree here at Fort AP Hill near Richmond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1031784071763

390655[/snapback]

It's my home. It's the lead story on the news and has been since it was initially reported. I'm not sure if I've met any of them (I'm terrible with last names) and they haven't published pictures that I've seen. It certainly sucks because from all accounts they were really good men.

Isn't it true if there is LOW hunidity, the temp FEELS COOLER.  There is the heat index when humidty is high.  What is the humidity % that actually starts to make the temp feel cooler?

389979[/snapback]

Well you know when you see the weather reports online and it says the temp, but then it says "feels like". The difference here in AZ is that the actual temp and the "feels like" temp are always the same. In humid weather, like NorthEast or down South, the "feels like" temp is much higher than the actual temp onna humid hot day.

And why does everyone think the weather in Buffalo sucks so much? There was an article in this weeks art voice pointing our how much our weather does not suck compared to the rest of the country. No hurricanes/floods/drought/mud slides/earquakes/etc... Snow is easy to deal with compared to all of those things, and the heat rarely goes above 85.

390428[/snapback]

Exactly!

Like Detroit, it is tempered by the lake. French explorers (I think Cadillac) wrote in their journals how the weather was favorable alee of the lakes.

I was just back in WNY (lackawanna/Cheektowaga) two weekends ago and it was hot, NOT THAT BAD. Both my in-law's and parents house have no A/C, I slept okay... Just can't fight it, keep the air circulating, windows open, and sleep still. A/C here in Illinois spoils me but, I can live without it. Same thing can be said when I spend time in western Michigan (Saugatuck)... Very tempered by the lake... Really no need for A/C.

People always ask me if the weather is bad in Buffalo... I say no, probably better. The thing that people remember is the snow. Here in Illinois it is HOTTER in the summer and COLDER in the winter.