How's the heat in your neck of the woods?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have another and give me a proper insult tomorrow. :)

389893[/snapback]

Actually, I’m not drinking. Having some of my freshly fluorinated water here in Pinellas County. I was just being cryptic, as you are at times. I guess I missed the mark. I’ll try harder next time.

Though, now that you mention it, I'm heading for the fridge for a brewski :(

Screw the Hurricanes ;)

Yesterday at Midway it was 104... 102 at O'Hare... At work 7 miles from the lake it was 99. They don't keep the official Chicago there anymore, it is now at O'Hare. I still don't know why it is O'Hare... Midway would be more indicative of the city... O'Hare is surrounded by northwest suburbs and about 40 miles from this part of the city. If anything, there should be mutiple readings.

Chicago will never break its own record because of the change in where the official temp is taken. There will always be a few degrees between the two.

Right now it is only 85. The triple digits feel crushing with the humidity. The only other time I felt it as hot here was back in July of 1995.

Oh... Does anyone now of free fans being delivered in the Buffalo (Lackawanna) area to seniors?

Seems my wife's parents got an UPS delivery (to them) with no card or nothing attached. The delivery was 2 large electric fans with remotes.

They are both minimalists that were raised in the depression... So the delivery was a shock... They didn't know what to think? Thought someone was playing with their credit card, etc...

??

Yesterday at Midway it was 104... 102 at O'Hare... At work 7 miles from the lake it was 99.  They don't keep the official Chicago there anymore, it is now at O'Hare.  I still don't know why it is O'Hare... Midway would be more indicative of the city... O'Hare is surrounded by northwest suburbs and about 40 miles from this part of the city.  If anything, there should be mutiple readings.

Chicago will never break its own record because of the change in where the official temp is taken.  There will always be a few degrees between the two.

Right now it is only 85.  The triple digits feel crushing with the humidity.  The only other time I felt it as hot here was back in July of 1995.

389909[/snapback]

There's been a bunch of flight delays today - my wife had one. The high heat makes for less dense air and so less lift (negative pressure), and the planes cannot carry a usual take-off weight. I'd guess some got bumped off, or their luggage won't show up until tomorrow.

Actually, I’m not drinking. Having some of my freshly fluorinated water here in Pinellas County. I was just being cryptic, as you are at times. I guess I missed the mark. I’ll try harder next time.

Though, now that you mention it, I'm heading for the fridge for a brewski :lol:

Screw the Hurricanes :(

389896[/snapback]

Take comfort Eryn... I GOT your cryptic message.

:);)

I'm in Arizona so do the math. I just tell everyone that I can deal with 2-3 months of extreme heat, which here is pretty much the same, if not better, than any 85-90 degree day with high humidity in the South of the North East. Being able to put up with that for 2-3 months is so much worth it when everyone I know back East is dealing with below freezing temps, icy roads and having to shovel snow off their cars.

I'm in Arizona so do the math.  I just tell everyone that I can deal with 2-3 months of extreme heat, which here is pretty much the same, if not better, than any 85-90 degree day with high humidity in the South of the North East.  Being able to put up with that for 2-3 months is so much worth it when everyone I know back East is dealing with below freezing temps, icy roads and having to shovel snow off their cars.

389956[/snapback]

Isn't it true if there is LOW hunidity, the temp FEELS COOLER. There is the heat index when humidty is high. What is the humidity % that actually starts to make the temp feel cooler?

It's been mostly in the mid 80s but that's due for a pretty intense bump Thursday when I get to Death Valley for a camping trip ( the little lady is less enthused than I!). Summer camping in Death Valley is awesome because you don't figure on running into anybody else, the secret to it is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate........ ;-)

Isn't it true if there is LOW hunidity, the temp FEELS COOLER.  There is the heat index when humidty is high.  What is the humidity % that actually starts to make the temp feel cooler?

389979[/snapback]

Yes, for a bunch of gobbldy-gook reasons( LeChatliers principle of mass action, Carnot's adibatic expansion postulate, Clausen-Clayperion, General Gas Law etc etc etc ), high humidity inhibits one's sweat from effecting a phase change from a liquid to a gas. When a liquid changes to the more energetic molecular state of a gas, energy must be given up by somebody.

Put some rubbing alcohol on your hand or body - feels cool - that's because it is extracting heat out of your skin when it undergoes that phase change from liquid to vapor.

Nature likes things to be equal, and if there is already a considerable amount of moisture in the ambient atmosphere surrounding your body, your sweat tends toward remaining liquid and not evaporating, so hot you stay.

If you haven't yet clicked somewhere else, this is why fans are effective - they push the humidity away briefly so your sweat can do it's thing. As a side note, folks who live in the hot equatorial areas - Africa, the Carribean, southern India, Sicily, for example, have spicy cuisine that heats the body up. Sounds odd to have hot stuff in hot climates, but they want to sweat to remove their body heat.

Feel free to slap me (in the interest of cooling) if we ever meet face to face... :rolleyes:

Isn't it true if there is LOW hunidity, the temp FEELS COOLER.  There is the heat index when humidty is high.  What is the humidity % that actually starts to make the temp feel cooler?

389979[/snapback]

The humidity might be low, but it's still freakin hot. Last week here in Las Vegas there were I believe 4 straight days of 115+ high temps. It's not humid, but to give you an idea 115 (actually 117 maybe last Sunday or Monday? don't remember) in the sun feels like an oven, truly. The heat comes from everywhere. I was out at the Hoover Dam a few weeks ago (friends visiting, that place is like Niag Falls when I lived in WNY) and it was REALLY hot, had to be close to 120 w/ all that rock around. It was a struggle to be outside for about 20 minutes. And the kicker with the heat is that it stays around. Last week at night it would be about 105 at 10 pm, because the land - concrete, stucco buildings, just the plain desert - soaks up the heat throughout the day. Last Monday as I was leaving for work at 7:30 am it was 103 already. That's hot for early morning.

Now it's only 100 out. I think last week might be the hottest it'll be all summer. And as lawnboy1977 said, the very mild winter will more than compensate!

It's been mostly in the mid 80s but that's due for a pretty intense bump Thursday when I get to Death Valley for a camping trip ( the little lady is less enthused than I!). Summer camping in Death Valley is awesome because you don't figure on running into anybody else, the secret to it is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate........ ;-)

389983[/snapback]

So camping in Death Valley when it is 115 and 10% humidity feels like camping in Illinois at 90 and 75% humidty?

Which is about 110 degrees.

:lol::lol:

Anyway you slice it... It is still hot!

:rolleyes:

I'm in Arizona so do the math.  I just tell everyone that I can deal with 2-3 months of extreme heat, which here is pretty much the same, if not better, than any 85-90 degree day with high humidity in the South of the North East.  Being able to put up with that for 2-3 months is so much worth it when everyone I know back East is dealing with below freezing temps, icy roads and having to shovel snow off their cars.

389956[/snapback]

yeah, I'm in Chandler, AZ. We got blasted with a wicked monsoon saturday. Rained today for a little too. It was about 105 today, with 62% humidity.