We traded Travis Henry?

Simon

I think the problem here for me is that when you receive debate or rebutal re: any TH topic it seems that you assume the person on the other end thinks he's great or something. Often times for me, I am simply refuting what I consider "lunacy" like comments that he flat out cannot catch or block, period... Call it nitpicking if you want.

390656[/snapback]

I see your point. Perhaps I am spoiled. When I think of a pass blocking running back, I see images of the man on your screen name. I also loved what I saw from Willis. Often, star running backs are lacking in the blocking department, but not those two.

Looking back, the OL was not great for Thurman's entire career, but he was sticking his head and shoulders in there to protect his qb.

He could also figure out his assignments. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point. Perhaps I am spoiled. When I think of a pass blocking running back, I see images of the man on your screen name. I also loved what I saw from Willis. Often, star running backs are lacking in the blocking department, but not those two.

Looking back, the OL was not great for Thurman's entire career, but he was sticking his head and shoulders in there to protect his qb.

He could also figure out his assignments.  :)

390682[/snapback]

Walter Payton may have been the best blocking tailback in NFL history.

Emmit Smith was no slouch either.

390722[/snapback]

Sweetness was far more punishing. Smith was very willing and really good at taking on bigger men by cutting them but Payton made guys pay for being his assignment - it was really something to watch such a short guy just crush someone half a foot taller and 40-50 pounds heavier.

Great player and the epitome of everything good about sports.

Sweetness was far more punishing.  Smith was very willing and really good at taking on bigger men by cutting them but Payton made guys pay for being his assignment - it was really something to watch such a short guy just crush someone half a foot taller and 40-50 pounds heavier.

390723[/snapback]

Walter NEVER ran out of bounds. He wasn't about himself unlike Emmitt Smith.

Sweetness was far more punishing.  Smith was very willing and really good at taking on bigger men by cutting them but Payton made guys pay for being his assignment - it was really something to watch such a short guy just crush someone half a foot taller and 40-50 pounds heavier.

390723[/snapback]

Agreed.

Payton was a much better downfield blocker, and all around player.

Smith had a real knack for picking up blitzes in the pass situations.

390723[/snapback]

I know Moe Williams is not a great back by any stretch. But if you get a chance watch him play, and block. He maybe better then sweetness in just blowing up guys. The man puts a clinic on when he is in the game.

Walter NEVER ran out of bounds. He wasn't about himself unlike Emmitt Smith.

390724[/snapback]

To be fair, Emmitt was one of the really tough guys ever to play the spot. The fourth quarter playoff performance against the Giants where he played with a seperated shoulder gives him a pass in my book. He benefitted from playing on much better teams than Payton did and because of that minimized his risks - he didn't have to do it all, so he didn't.

To be fair, Emmitt was one of the really tough guys ever to play the spot.  The fourth quarter playoff performance against the Giants where he played with a seperated shoulder gives him a pass in my book.  He benefitted from playing on much better teams than Payton did and because of that minimized his risks - he didn't have to do it all, so he didn't.

390728[/snapback]

One thing that Ditka did that pissed me off was to let the fridge run for a TD and try to throw for another in SBXX and not let Walter score one. Walter never said a word and Im sure all that mattered to him was the win but Ditka should forever be ashamed of himself.

To be fair, Emmitt was one of the really tough guys ever to play the spot.  The fourth quarter playoff performance against the Giants where he played with a seperated shoulder gives him a pass in my book.  He benefitted from playing on much better teams than Payton did and because of that minimized his risks - he didn't have to do it all, so he didn't.

390728[/snapback]

He took a few Franco Harris lessons.

One thing that Ditka did that pissed me off was to let the fridge run for a TD and try to throw for another in SBXX and not let Walter score one. Walter never said a word and Im sure all that mattered to him was the win but Ditka should forever be ashamed of himself.

390736[/snapback]

I agree. That was a travesty.

Again, based on both my own eyes , and from the radio commentary of AVP (he would usually say when a sack was given up whose actual responsibility it was on the play and it often conflicted with what "experts" thought here) Travis DID show improvement in the blitz pickup area in '04. The next sentence you mention about "lunacy" makes absolutely no sense at all if you read it again.  :)  And why not provide more than mockery in response? It is also a fact that he improved  in receiving and route skills and showed this both in later '03 and in his  final year, making difficult catches at times from so called "touch" passes from DB. This does not say that he was ever a great back, or even great at any of these particular skills, only that he did improve, especially from 2001 thru 2003.

I think TD did a great job with the trade as well and am happy with it by the way.

390639[/snapback]

I am not going to knock what other people saw in Travis Henry...they are def entitled to their opinion.....

But in MY view of him I saw the following things:

- The year before last he was our main back with no competition.....he showed effort and a willingness to block.....sometimes he got a really good piece of some defenders.....BUT....he was often confused and out of place......

- Last year I saw a Henry that didn't want to put the effort out to pass protect....often showing some half @ssed efforts that resulted in QB munches.....a couple of times it was maddening to me because the O Line would pick up everyone but a single guy......and that guy would get by Henry and make a play......

On the other hand Magehee seems to have a better feel for it....and is a bigger back..........he came out in basically his rookie season and proved to be MUCH better then Henry who was a seasoned pro......

390723[/snapback]

Here! Here!

or is that Hear! Hear!

then again it could be

Hear Here!

He is on my list of all time greatest.

On the other hand Magehee seems to have a better feel for it....and is a bigger back..........he came out in basically his rookie season and proved to be MUCH better then Henry who was a seasoned pro......

390759[/snapback]

On that we can agree here. The RB position looks very good with a healthy McGahee...