We traded Travis Henry?

Simon

OK, so I've been a little out of touch. :doh:

A dime-a-dozen back whose size and running style guarantee a short career in exchange for a mid-round draft pick. Nobody "won" the trade or got swindled because their simply isn't enough value/impact being exchanged.

That being said, I'm sorta disappointed in TD. I was really hoping he was going to send Bills Nation into another tizzy by trading Travis to miamuh for Ricky Williams.

Now that would have been way groovy....... :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I've been a little out of touch.  :doh:

A dime-a-dozen back whose size and running style guarantee a short career in exchange for a mid-round draft pick. Nobody "won" the trade or got swindled because their simply isn't enough value/impact being exchanged.

That being said, I'm sorta disappointed in TD. I was really hoping he was going to send Bills Nation into another tizzy by trading Travis to miamuh for Ricky Williams.

Now that would have been way groovy....... :)

389170[/snapback]

Actually, I think the most impressive part of TD's work os that he is actually beginning to set an unusal precedent in this league for turning a player whose original contract with the Bills has finished into getting some value for them.

By the rule, player situations work the way that they did in the case of players from Jonas Jenning to Takeo Spikes, when their original agreement is done, the player is free to enter the free market and the team which owned his rights is due nothing if they chose not to pay through the nose for the player.

TD did a great job in the Peerless case where he surprisingly tagged him (using only a transition rather than a franchise tag unless the worst happened for us) and translated this into a 1st after Arthur Blank shot off his mouth and guaranteed a deal.

In this case, TD again was opportunistic as Henry proved to be let;s say a bit less than a financial wizard. He did TH the "fsvor" of giving him some chump change up front cash in exchange for an extra year's ownership.

This allowed for the suprise drafting of WM (aome surface knowledge NFL folks questioned why draft him when we already has a Pro Bowl player at RB when actually having a starter in place at RB so we could sit WM for a year was essential to drafting and rehabbing him).

TD once again was able to translate the nothing that we were owed when a player's oringial contract ran out into something. While this pales next to the PP move because a 3rd ain't a first, I am impressed that when we were owed nothing under the original deal we agreed to, TD translated this into a 1st day draft choice.

Even with your judgment that a 3ed is next to nothing in value, the better comparison is next to nothing versus notthing. Given that we have been able to find a Pro Bowler with a 4th, this deal is a definite positive and has potential to be a big deal.

... in exchange for a mid-round draft pick.

389170[/snapback]

A "first day" pick, and from a team who may well finish quite poorly, so it could be a high 3rd rounder.

3rd rounders can be quite useful - you just have to spend it wisely, which I can expect TD will do.

So, a pretty good deal for the Bills IMO.

Travis was not going to be "a good insurance policy" for the Bills in 2005, so Tennessee is a fine place for the young lad to be.

In this case, TD again was opportunistic as Henry proved to be let;s say a bit less than a financial wizard. He did TH the "fsvor" of giving him some chump change up front cash in exchange for an extra year's ownership.

This allowed for the suprise drafting of WM (aome surface knowledge NFL folks questioned why draft him when we already has a Pro Bowl player at RB when actually having a starter in place at RB so we could sit WM for a year was essential to drafting and rehabbing him).

389235[/snapback]

Okay, I agree, TD is pretty sharp, but do you seriously think he had all of this planned out? He truly is Nostrodomas! :doh:

Okay, I agree, TD is pretty sharp, but do you seriously think he had all of this planned out?  He truly is Nostrodomas! :doh:

389260[/snapback]

Yes and no.

I think he was clearly opportunistic with extending TH for chump change as it was TH who came begging to the Bills when he mismanaged his assets. My recollection is that TD even warned him this was a bad deal for him but TH is an adult (at least chronologically) and TD almost sheepishly took advantage of the situation.

However, from the point TD began to even think about drafting WM in 2003 with TH being hailed by Bills fans at the end of 2002 as one of our favorite Bills and the prospects for this team looking extremely good after they improved from 3-13 to 8-8 it seems pretty clear TD had a plan.

It was a plan of possibilities where he took actions like grabbing Reed in 2002 much to the surprise of both fans and pundits because he foresaw that we likely would let PP walk (I do not think he foresaw that Arthur Blank owner of AT would stuidly shoot his mouth off an essentially gurantee that they would do whatever it took to sign Peerless, but opportunistically he translated this into a #1).

Having created a #1 I think he did begin to forsee that taking WM might be possible. He had the Bills docs check out WM's injuries extensively which shows clear willingness even though we were set with TH. Even a cleverer sign of intent beyond simple willingness TD and the Bills kept quiet about their findings and interest. If they had far more interest in picking someone else rather than WM then it was all in the Bills and TDs interests to broadcast the fact they were impressed with their docs examination of WM and maybe some other team would take him and leave a DL player for us. However, they kept quiet on the chance WM might drop and a DE would not.

Even after selecting WM, I think that TD/MMs hope was that TH would play ball and that the team would find a way to make it work with the two of them playing together, but this did not happen.

However, though I doubt TD had a Maciavellianian (Nostradamian) plot in mind all along to move TH for at least a 3rd, I think that he knew more than anyone about the contracts the Bills signed and is thinking way ahead of his pundits and competitors in terms of building a team.

We saw that when he "found" a #1 to replace the one traded for DB after he surprised pundits by drafting Reed, we saw that when he stole Denney from Pitts while they were on the phone with him. we saw that when he surprised the world with the WM pick, we saw that when he picked Kelsay with our 2nd when folks would not have had a cow if we had taken him wih our first.

Okay, I agree, TD is pretty sharp, but do you seriously think he had all of this planned out?  He truly is Nostrodomas! :)

His "plan" was to keep Travis for as long as it took to get a halfway decent draft pick out of someone. Now while a 2nd rounder would have been great, getting a 3rd considering the situation (Travis' on-field and off-field problems, refusal to play for Buffalo again, and 1 year remaining on his contract, not to mention the glut of RB's on the market this year) was making the best of it. Maybe last year he gets a 1st or definitely a 2nd, but that's a different situation entirely.

His "plan" was to keep Travis for as long as it took to get a halfway decent draft pick out of someone.  Now while a 2nd rounder would have been great, getting a 3rd considering the situation (Travis' on-field and off-field problems, refusal to play for Buffalo again, and 1 year remaining on his contract, not to mention the glut of RB's on the market this year) was making the best of it.  Maybe last year he gets a 1st or definitely a 2nd, but that's a different situation entirely.

389441[/snapback]

I gurdd it csn reasonably vary from person to person how one looks at it, but I saw the one year the Bills had his contract as a positive for us that made the trade possible. Obviously it would be better to have a guy with a locked up low salary for years to come in terms of trading him, however, the real world options for the Bills it seemed to me were to have no time left as was the case under his old contract so he simply walks unless you tag him (as was done with Alexander or James and neither are tradeable really) or you had the 1 year which is as good as its gonna get in terms of a tradeable player. If we had TH with two years on his contract (as was the case last year) really no one is thinking seriously about trading this player on either side for the most part.

I thought the Bills were actually in a great position having the "extra" year because pf TH mismanaging his money. It made him tradeable and though it added a hoop to be dealt with, we see in the TN deal that this hoop was not a problem at all. If anything, the fact that he was going to have the incentive of playing in his contract year I thought made him even more attractive for a trade partner.

Dime-a-Dozen backs don't rush for 1500 yards in this league.

Nor do they make the Pro Bowl.

He can't block and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed -- but the man can move the chain and break tackles. Far from a dime-a-dozen back.

Joe Burns? Dime-a-Dozen.

Shaud Williams? Dime-a-Dozen.

Rashard Lee? Dime-a-Dozen.

Travis Henry? Far from it.

As is always on this board, former Bills are always trash, current Bills are worth more than gold. :)

OK, so I've been a little out of touch.  ;)

A dime-a-dozen back....

389170[/snapback]

As is always on this board, former Bills are always trash, current Bills are worth more than gold.  :)

389804[/snapback]

And only Tom DonnaHo was capable of resurrecting the Bills from the depths of despair to the high-flying glory days of dominating the Playoffs. ;)

I guess he wasn't on the dime-a-dozen shelf, just the eight-fer-a-nickle shelf.

389859[/snapback]

Well, in his career "pro bowl" (I laugh at that, too) season there were 4 backs who had more yards in the AFC alone. Michael Bennett had almost 1300 yards on over 5 YPC that season, too. He must be a top shelfer as well.

Travis had 2 good, not great seasons in the NFL. He played hard with his limited gifts. I wish him luck.

Well, in his career "pro bowl" (I laugh at that, too) season there were 4 backs who had more yards in the AFC alone.  Michael Bennett had almost 1300 yards on over 5 YPC  that season, too.  He must be a top shelfer as well.

Travis had 2 good, not great seasons in the NFL.  He played hard with his limited gifts.  I wish him luck.

389867[/snapback]

I wish him well too, but along with Drew, here's hoping Josh Reed will join them.

I am liking the clean sweep, and hope they do well elsewhere.

I think Travis had success when the Bills could spread the field. But in ball control situations I think his limitations were there to see. He had trouble bouncing to the outside, and at least the coaches seemed to think he was a third down liability.(probably for blocking.)

He has been in the league 4 years. His rookie season was pretty average and can be considered a wash since he was a rookie and he played on an abysmal 3-13 team. The next two seasons were solid, one of them being a Pro Bowl year. His last season, something was just off... and he was fighting some injuries.

Despite how it sounds, I'm not an apologist for TH. That said, 2 good seasons out of 4 isn't that bad. He's not a star, but characterizing him as dime-a-dozen is just plain ludicrous. Let's see what he does in Tennessee, I suppose.

Travis had 2 good, not great seasons in the NFL.  He played hard with his limited gifts.  I wish him luck.

389867[/snapback]

Typo.  Meant to be 1400... but same  point nevertheless.

389878[/snapback]

1 Curtis Martin NYJ

2 Shaun Alexander SEA

3 Corey Dillon NE

4 Edgerrin James IND

5 Tiki Barber NYG

6 Rudi Johnson CIN

7 LaDainian Tomlinson SD

8 Clinton Portis WAS

9 Reuben Droughns DEN

10 Fred Taylor

11 Domanick Davis

12 Ahman Green

13 Kevin Jones

14 Willis McGahee

15 Warrick Dunn ATL

16 Deuce McAllister

17 Chris Brown TEN

18 Jamal Lewis BAL

19 Thomas Jones CHI

20 Jerome Bettis PIT

21 Emmitt Smith ARI

22 Michael Pittman TB

23 Michael Vick ATL

24 Priest Holmes KC

25 Duce Staley PIT

26 Kevan Barlow SF

27 Nick Goings CAR

28 Julius Jones DAL

29 Brian Westbrook PHI

30 Marshall Faulk STL

With the exception of the older guys on the list like Smith and Faulk, how many of these guys would you take Travis Henry over?

I would take Travis over Nick Goings. Yep. I think that's it.

I might also add Pittman and that idiot Barlow to the short list. Counting Marshall and Emmit as well, that makes 5.

So there are only 25 other starters better than Henry. But he's not a dime-a-dozen guy cuz it's nigh impossible to replace the 26th best starter in the NFL. :rolleyes:

He can't block and he's not the sharpest tool in the shed -- but the man can move the chain

You forgot to mention he's also a poor receiver and an atrocious ball-handler. And spare me with the chains comment; he's been awful in short-yardage situations as well.

And I said the exact same things about him when he was a current Bill......

I'm not trying to rag the guy by referring to him as a dime-a-dozen player; just saying he's no better than average. He's an undersized power back with minimal speed, limited upside and too many holes in his game to ever be anything more than a servicable cog.