Crosby question and prediction thread

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poetic justice would be having it come down to the last two envelopes at the press conference... Dallas and Buffalo. Bettman opens the next-to-last envelope and there's a big star on the card.

Then again, the NHL would probably invoke some double-secret memo stating that when it got down to two envelopes, the first one opened would get the first pick. :lol:

I will guess Atlanta, using the LeBron James theory of picking up a struggling franchise. 

Although I hope that my team (the Bruins) gets him, because they might well be the favorites in the East with Crosby and Thornton together.

Mike

387935[/snapback]

Only if the team then announces it is moving to Winnepeg or Quebec City...

My guess are the Islanders, Ducks, or possibly the Wild.

Sabres would be great, but no way would I get my hopes up...

That sounds like a personal problem.  :lol:    Start another thread for it.  this one is for Crosby.

387981[/snapback]

I would always go to bingo with grandma and right before they started the games, the caller would always announce "Would anyone like to check the balls?"...needless to say, i would always crack up after hearing the 65 year old utter this. I wonder if they are gonna do the same thing for the nhl lottery?

If we don't get Crosby, I'd settle for Benoit Pouliot or Bobby Ryan, who'd be a natural fan favorite in a place like Buffalo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7329

388216[/snapback]

Basically the Entry Draft looks like this in terms of talent:

1)Sidney Crosby

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

2)Benoit Pouliot

-

3)Everyone else

Crosby is the most NHL-ready prospect in a LONG time, but Pouliot definitely is no bum. I'd love to see him come to Buffalo...actually, when I first heard his name I thought it would be amusing to have him play on the same line as Dumont and Briere, to have a French Connection II line going into the season. Alas, even with a name like "Benoit Pouliot", he is not French Canadian.

Basically the Entry Draft looks like this in terms of talent:

1)Sidney Crosby

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

2)Benoit Pouliot

-

3)Everyone else

Crosby is the most NHL-ready prospect in a LONG time, but Pouliot definitely is no bum.  I'd love to see him come to Buffalo...actually, when I first heard his name I thought it would be amusing to have him play on the same line as Dumont and Briere, to have a French Connection II line going into the season.  Alas, even with a name like "Benoit Pouliot", he is not French Canadian.

388223[/snapback]

I agree the drop from 1 to 2 is huge, but if the Sabres could snag another guy as good as Vanek again this year (assuming they'd pick in the 2-5 slots), that would be a big talent increase that I'd be happy with.

Atlanta and Columbus would probably be the happiest if they got it, they would become instand contenders if Crosby is for real.

I honestly believe that if the Blue Jackets get Crosby, they will make the playoffs and do well. He would fit well here in Columbus too. People outside of Columbus don't give us enough credit for being hockey fans. I've heard people say we don't care and that is bunch of crap. Since the Blue Jackets first year, we have had some of the highest attendance numbers in the league and once I think we were first. Even at the all star game Rick Nash said "I went to Columbus not really expecting much, but these guys love their hockey." Anyway, with Zherdev and Nash and put Crosby on top of that it could be a great year.

He's going to end up with a southern team. This in the NHL, and they certainly know how to not promote the game. It will also probably be one of the teams that fold within the next 5 years. That way he can finally get to the Rangers.

For some reason, I woke up this morning with the feeling that Crosby is headed to Pittsburgh.  Where they wont pay him and he'll bolt in a few years.

But I still would not be surprised at all to see him go to NYC.

387936[/snapback]

This is about the stupidest post I've seen yet. The Penguins, and Craig Patrick played their cards perfectly. They have been preparing for the lockout for 3 years. They dumped all salary players, built up prospects, and have been on record repeatedly as saying they are ready to spend money as soon as the lockout is over.

This is unreal for PIttsburgh. He'll get to play a tiny bit with Mario, and Malkin. The Pens are completely on record publicly with saying payroll will be in the mid 30's range when it's all said and done.

Mark Recchi was the first signing, look for many more. The Pens will be loaded, and most likely Lemieux will have another Stanley Cup.

This is about the stupidest post I've seen yet.  The Penguins, and Craig Patrick played their cards perfectly.  They have been preparing for the lockout for 3 years.  They dumped all salary players, built up prospects, and have been on record repeatedly as saying they are ready to spend money as soon as the lockout is over. 

This is unreal for PIttsburgh.  He'll get to play a tiny bit with Mario, and Malkin.  The Pens are completely on record publicly with saying payroll will be in the mid 30's range when it's all said and done.

Mark Recchi was the first signing, look for many more.  The Pens will be loaded, and most likely Lemieux will have another Stanley Cup.

388496[/snapback]

Are you saying the Penguins terrible records over the last 3-4 years has all been a plan? A master-plan to screw the team over, piss off the fans, humiliate their franchise, threaten to move and financially dismantle the team just so they could prepare for the post-lockout NHL world?

I'm not a Penguins hater by any means, and my comment was originally meant as a joke on the recent money problems the ol' Penguins have had. I'm glad they got Crosby over some of the other teams that were in the top 10, and they definitely need him. You should be downright joygasmic over Crosby. But dont go overboard there, it seems to me (and a majority of other observers) that the Penguins are years and years away from rebuilding their tarnished image.

And come on...stupidest post ever? Around here? I think we just insulted a bunch of posters...

and yours was uncalled for....

388500[/snapback]

lol, wow, with everything that goes on here.....I get my wrist slapped for saying that I thought that was a dumb post? Ummmm ok. That makes sense.

Anyway, sorry Malta, for the dumb comment. I have to say though, I know it's dumb logic to say the Pens won't pay him, but I'll just take it that you haven't studied the Pens as much as you do your fave team. They prepared for the lockout by dumping salary and got lucky to win the lottery. He'll be a Pen for a long time, provided he isn't way over-hyped.

Uncalled for though? I know you've seen the rest of the board right?

Are you saying the Penguins terrible records over the last 3-4 years has all been a plan?  A master-plan to screw the team over, piss off the fans, humiliate their franchise, threaten to move and financially dismantle the team just so they could prepare for the post-lockout NHL world? 

I'm not a Penguins hater by any means, and my comment was originally meant as a joke on the recent money problems the ol' Penguins have had.  I'm glad they got Crosby over some of the other teams that were in the top 10, and they definitely need him.  You should be downright joygasmic over Crosby.  But dont go overboard there, it seems to me (and a majority of other observers) that the Penguins are years and years away from rebuilding their tarnished image.

And come on...stupidest post ever?  Around here?  I think we just insulted a bunch of posters...

388501[/snapback]

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. And please, I didn't say stupidest post ever. I said yet. But anyway, yes, the Penguins went on a serious salary dumping measure a couple of years ago. As a matter of fact, they did it right after they made the Eastern Conference Finals in 2002.

THey didn't screw anyone over. They cut almost all of their talent at the same time. So, no vets were hurt by this except maybe Mario himself, who also owns the team. Piss off the fans.....yes, a little bit, but the Pens also made it public two seasons ago to the fans that they would be in a MAJOR rebuilding era. Then last season they played......they were repeatedly telling the public that they would go with all kids and prepare for the lockout. No secret to anyone in Pittsburgh. Threatening to move was to get a new arena, and nothing else. They'll still threaten to move, and it's not gonna happen. They'll eventually get their arena somehow, and everyone can act like a tough guy after posturing for a bit, but they'll get it eventually.

They never hid anything from the public about any of this cost cutting stuff they have done. Nor, have they hid anything about the arena and threatening to move. Their gamble worked out perfect. A gamble it was, but it worked to alomost perfection.