Crosby question and prediction thread

lol, wow, with everything that goes on here.....I get my wrist slapped for saying that I thought that was a dumb post?  Ummmm ok.  That makes sense. 

Anyway, sorry Malta, for the dumb comment.  I have to say though, I know it's dumb logic to say the Pens won't pay him, but I'll just take it that you haven't studied the Pens as much as you do your fave team.  They prepared for the lockout by dumping salary and got lucky to win the lottery.  He'll be a Pen for a long time, provided he isn't way over-hyped.

Uncalled for though?  I know you've seen the rest of the board right?

388503[/snapback]

Like I said, I thought it was uncalled for. The majority, not all, but the majority of grief that posters get here is usually brought upon the posters themselves in some fashion.

BGiM was having a friendly conversation and you just go off on him for no other reason than a difference in opinion? It seemed rather gratuitous to me....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I thought it was uncalled for.  The majority, not all, but the majority of grief that posters get here is usually brought upon the posters themselves in some fashion.

BGiM was having a friendly conversation and you just go off on him for no other reason than a difference in opinion?  It seemed rather gratuitous to me....

388510[/snapback]

Noted and understood. Again though, you could show up in a heck of a lot of other places that warrant it more than this one. Way more. Caught me off-guard.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  And please, I didn't say stupidest post ever.  I said yet.  But anyway, yes, the Penguins went on a serious salary dumping measure a couple of years ago.  As a matter of fact, they did it right after they made the Eastern Conference Finals in 2002. 

They never hid anything from the public about any of this cost cutting stuff they have done.  Nor, have they hid anything about the arena and threatening to move.  Their gamble worked out perfect.  A gamble it was, but it worked to alomost perfection.

388508[/snapback]

Well one team that has done it better than the Pen's or anyone else for that matter are the San Jose Sharks. They cut the a$$ out of their team the last few seasons and did'nt trash thier team to do it. All to get ready for the lockout and the new order that followed. The last season they ended up with one of the most exciting teams in hockey and lost narrowly to the Flames in the semi finals. All this with one of the puniest payrolls in the league. Now they have a Stanley Cup ready team with a miniscule payroll and they havent touched the upcoming free agent frenzy yet! I cant imagine them with a stud center and a defenceman to put them over the top.

At least Pittsburgh need help, and Crosby is a start. Maybe it wasn't fixed, but Buffalo gets screwed just the same. At unlucky 13 they'll be part of the crap shoot in the middle of round one and probably won't be able to get anyone who contributes for the next couple years if ever.

At least Pittsburgh need help, and Crosby is a start.  Maybe it wasn't fixed, but Buffalo gets screwed just the same.  At unlucky 13 they'll be part of the crap shoot in the middle of round one and probably won't be able to get anyone who contributes for the next couple years if ever.

388600[/snapback]

Lets face it, only one team can get Crosby. I prefer to look at the postive. Like the Sharks mentioned above, the Sabres are in salary cap heaven right now. They are poised to significantly improve thier team via the free agent route while others, like Detroit, Colorado and the Leafs, are facing huge cuts. One thing im curious about is how the Sabres are configured to deal with the new rule changes. I know the Sharks are a skating team that is always looking to move the puck up the ice quickly. I get the DTV NHL Center Ice every year but I pretty much watch only the Leafs and Sharks. Im not sure how many "skilled" players the Sabres have and how they will fair in the new open ice NHL.

Well one team that has done it better than the Pen's or anyone else for that matter are the San Jose Sharks. They cut the a$$ out of their team the last few seasons and did'nt trash thier team to do it. All to get ready for the lockout and the new order that followed. The last season they ended up with one of the most exciting teams in hockey and lost narrowly to the Flames in the semi finals. All this with one of the puniest payrolls in the league. Now they have a Stanley Cup ready team with a miniscule payroll and they havent touched the upcoming free agent frenzy yet! I cant imagine them with a stud center and a defenceman to put them over the top.

388545[/snapback]

Ummmm, difference being....San Jose had talent, Pittsburgh didn't. Pittsburgh had nothing in the minors at all. They built up their minors in the 3 yr period. Now, with only about 8 million committed to salaries, they have alot of minor league talent, and wayyyyy much money to spend.

The Sharks did what they did, and have nothing to show for it. The Pens did what they did, and now are sitting very pretty for a long time.

Ummmm, difference being....San Jose had talent, Pittsburgh didn't.  Pittsburgh had nothing in the minors at all.  They built up their minors in the 3 yr period.  Now, with only about 8 million committed to salaries, they have alot of minor league talent, and wayyyyy much money to spend.

The Sharks did what they did, and have nothing to show for it.  The Pens did what they did, and now are sitting very pretty for a long time.

388750[/snapback]

Sharks have nothing to show for it? They were one of the 4 best teams in the league last season. Im not sure you read my post. The Sharks stripped thier team of most of thier established talent(went from 48.5million in 2001-02 season to 34.5mil in the last season)and went with cheaper youngsters in prepartion for the lockout. Im really not sure what the Pens have to show for except they are an exceptionally bad team. Of course they get Crosby but certainly that isnt based on any mangerial skills. That was pure luck. My point is that the Sharks managed to do the same as the Pens, cut player costs and still were able to make it to the semi finals. Now thats managment skill! Sure the Pens final salary total was about 24mill in the final season but they have a terrible team. Do you really think it all can be rebuilt via free agency and make them a instant contender? The Rangers prove that can't be done year in and year out.

Sharks have nothing to show for it? They were one of the 4 best teams in the league last season. Im not sure you read my post. The Sharks stripped thier team of most of thier established talent(went from 48.5million in 2001-02 season to 34.5mil in the last season)and  went with cheaper youngsters in prepartion for the lockout. Im really not sure what the Pens have to show for except they are an exceptionally bad team. Of course they get Crosby but certainly that isnt based on any mangerial skills. That was pure luck. My point is that the Sharks managed to do the same as the Pens, cut player costs and still were able to make it to the semi finals. Now thats managment skill! Sure the Pens final salary total was about 24mill in the final season but they have a terrible team. Do you really think it all can be rebuilt via free agency and make them a instant contender? The Rangers prove that can't be done year in and year out.

388767[/snapback]

See, this is what I hate about when people spout off about teams they know nothing about. And actually the Sharks seem OK. And that's great. No trophy in SJ and none in Pittsburgh either.

Now, on to the real misconception about Pittsburgh. If you must.....the Penguins were one of the hottest teams in the NHL over the last 20 games of the season, when they last played. Now, were they good? No. However, they built their minor league system up which is now loaded with prospects. So, they bit the bullet knowing that the lockout was coming. They slashed ticket prices and went with young kids. The team sucked but the kids got better over the two years. Now, with doing that, they have mega depth now. All of the kids are seasoned with two years NHL experience. Some of then are damn good, and some will be let go. Add Mark Recchi who they locked up at a nice cost before the lockout, and Mario and you've got a decent team already. Now, add Crosby, and the REQUIRED 15 million more to the payroll and the Penguins are going to have a great team. Remember only 8 million dollars are committed in current contracts. So, they have to at least spend 14 million more. At least. However, they are on record as saying their payroll will be near 30 mill.

The fact that they got Crosby was luck. Pure and simple. HOWEVER, their plan, PUBLICLY stated was they they would slash salary.....which they did.....slash ticket prices.....which they did......develop the kids.....which they did.......and lastly, when the lockout was over, they would have seasoned kids, and PLENTY of big time cash to throw around on payroll.

It all worked perfect. The Crosby luck was just that...luck......but the plan to get them a chance at him was PERFECT. The Pens made money last season, developed kids, and will now explode.

San Jose.......No Cup......Pittsburgh........No Cup

I don't know about your team, but the Penguins are sitting pretty. And a plan was in place two years ago to ensure this.