Crosby question and prediction thread

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What time is the Crosby lottery?  I thought I heard it was today.

Post your prediction for the winning team here.

My prediction: Habs

387881[/snapback]

The NHL will take a page out of the NBA playbook when they manipulated the draft order to put Patrick Ewing into the big market NY Knicks.

Look for Crosby to go to Chicago, Boston or NYC.

Detroit would be overkill.

The NHL will take a page out of the NBA playbook when they manipulated the draft order to put Patrick Ewing into the big market NY Knicks.

387891[/snapback]

I am almost sure it will not be fixed for the Rangers simply because there is so much speculation in that direction. I spoke to a guy from Toronto about this and he thinks there would be major backlash if this were to happen.

I could see Chicago. I picked Mtl because they are the Yankees of hockey. Just a guess. I'd prefer to see a ping pong ball appear bearing a satanic goathead.

387891[/snapback]

If there was a fix, I would say Chicago be the best fit of those you mentioned from a maketing/league standpoint as the Bruins already have their young superstar in Thornton. The Rangers are already hated. Yet call me naive but don't see any fix in the works and just hope that somehow the Sabres can get Crosby.

For no rhyme or reason I'm going to guess Anaheim gets the pick.

I am almost sure it will not be fixed for the Rangers simply because there is so much speculation in that direction.  I spoke to a guy from Toronto about this and he thinks there would be major backlash if this were to happen. 

I could see Chicago.  I picked Mtl because they are the Yankees of hockey.  Just a guess.  I'd prefer to see a ping pong ball appear bearing a satanic goathead.

387898[/snapback]

The Lottery Press Conference is at 4pm, you can watch it live at NHL.com.

Anybody's guess is worthless with the odds out there, there's no way they fix it. Atlanta and Columbus would probably be the happiest if they got it, they would become instand contenders if Crosby is for real.

Anybody's guess is worthless with the odds out there, there's no way they fix it. Atlanta and Columbus would probably be the happiest if they got it, they would become instand contenders if Crosby is for real.

387901[/snapback]

Speaking of NHL.com - is that the worst Pro-sports website around or what??

387901[/snapback]

It is also going to be carried by ESPN News on cable/dish

Since hockey is more popular in Canada, may be Crosby goes to

Toronto Maple Leafs.

I will guess Atlanta, using the LeBron James theory of picking up a struggling franchise.

Although I hope that my team (the Bruins) gets him, because they might well be the favorites in the East with Crosby and Thornton together.

Mike

I honestly don't think the league will try any shannagins simply because they will win either way.

However, if I had to guess, I don't think the league wants Crosby to go to a Canadian team simply because non-chalant hockey fans in the US won't watch the Vancouver's or Calgary's play on US tv.

I would also say that markets like New York already have a huge fan base so I think the NHL benefits more if Crosby goes to a team (wishful thinking) like Buffalo because it then makes another team marketable that wasn't before hand.

EDIT: I think the only way the NHL will be hurt is if Crosby goes to a city that doesn't deserve hockey like Atlanta or Nashville. Atlanta already has two of the best young players in the league and nobody really cares.

Someone here said not long ago that the worst four teams only have a combined 25% chance to get Crosby.

Well, look at it this way: there is a 33% chance -- one in three, for you math retards -- that Crosby will go to one of these major markets:

New York (five balls -- three for the Rangers, one each for NJ and the Isles)

Southern California (four balls -- two each for the Kings and Ducks)

Chicago (one ball)

Boston (one ball)

Philadelphia (one ball)

Washington (one ball)

Detroit (one ball)

Toronto (one ball)

Montreal (one ball)

That's sixteen balls out of 48. And I haven't even mentioned Dallas, Denver, San Jose and Atlanta -- places I doubt the NHL would be crushed if Crosby ends up there. Not only that but there's a better than one-in-five chance that he goes to New York, Chicago, or L.A.

I would think the league likes those odds enough not to have to blatantly fix the draft -- and I'm sure they thought of this when they set up this system.

Then again, depending on how you read this story, the NHL may already have admitted that the fix is in:

The league has devised a weighted system to distribute the balls.

Hm... maybe that means certain balls are lighter than others. :lol::P