Just a thought

AJ1

at least not capable of replacing Willis's production, I hope the Bills de-emphasize the running game somewhat instead of focusing on it. I don't want them to overdo it with McGahee, leading to a serious injury due to overwork.

I'm prepared to take a few extra loses to develop a balanced attack.

I understand this thinking -- KC wore Priest Holmes out. They saw he was a super star and rode him into the ground. Now it is unlikely he'll finish a full season.

I think with the WRs the Bills have, the'll be able to throw when needed. The early part of the season is going to be the important time for Willis to get a lot of carries and really shine. This is needed to give JP a chance to get a feel for full speed NFL play. I hope as the season progresses, JP will be able to throw more and depend on the run less.

Very few teams have a backup running back capable of putting up the same numbers as the starter. This is nothing new in the NFL. Back in the early 90's Buffalo, relied on Thurman for not only running a lot but being an integral part of the passing game. You can't change your style just because you don't have a backup of the same caliber as your starter.

It would have been a luxury to have to staring quality running backs but with Henry's attitude, you knew that was not going to happen.

at least not capable of replacing Willis's production, I hope the Bills de-emphasize the running game somewhat instead of focusing on it.  I don't want them to overdo it with McGahee, leading to a serious injury due to overwork.

383907[/snapback]

A very astute Bills fan with some well thought out comments early in the morning.

Probably need to increase the caffeine level.

You will intentionally gameplan to lose games just to avoid the possbility that your RB may be overworked.

Brilliant!

How many "extra" games do you think the Bills can lose and still make the playoffs?

I think if you look at our RB pool right now - albeit some will be cut - the guys who will make it to the 53 will be Wills, Reshard Lee, Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates (also Shelton and maybe Burns). I think that's a pretty decent pool of backs to ride for a good part of the season...

We don't need two #1 RBs thats why we have dealt Travis... We need a starter, a backup and a couple of guys that can play STs and maybe rip off a few runs per game when needed. If Willis goes down we take the three guys left and figure which one doesn't LOSE us games and go with him...

(PS My remarks here prove why I am a fan and not a coach)

at least not capable of replacing Willis's production, I hope the Bills de-emphasize the running game somewhat instead of focusing on it.  I don't want them to overdo it with McGahee, leading to a serious injury due to overwork.

383907[/snapback]

You can't coach to prevent injuries. You can get hurt on one carry as you can on the 30th. If you want WM to be WM, you have to utilize him as such. He is going to be our strength. Let him run. JP needs to lean on the running game until he is comfortable, which will take time. You can't keep WM in a bubble. Ride your horse, otherwise you don't play to your optimum strength.

Basically, you can take almost any key player position on the team and make this same statement. It is normal to get the jitters, but these guys are made to play, not be sheltered. That is why you have to have some faith that Mularkey and crew are building a balanced team and game plan.

AJ1: I am not prepared to take any losses.

Nick: ALL of our remarks here prove why WE are fans and not coaches

scribo: Good point on Priest Holmes - they rode that pony to the ground.

bobblehead: It would have been nice if TH could have been a Kenny Davis, eh? Great avatar, but doesn't it make the chips soggy?

:P

PS: see I CAN write a post about football! :w00t:

383907[/snapback]

A guy who has skipped all the off season activities and was threatening

to miss entire camp wasn't going to be your best option at the #2 RB

position...

Guest BackInDaDay
I hope the Bills de-emphasize the running game somewhat instead of focusing on it.

All our O personnel, especially our interior linemen, are here because the coaching staff believes they are capable of engaging and occupying defenders, allowing WM to find his path upfield. We're built to run until we're stopped.

RBs that make the cut will stay because they have shown, through a combination of natural talent and coaching, an ability to find the crease and make the cut. None will have all of WM's skills, but hopefully one or two have enough to be productive when called upon.

All our O personnel, especially our interior linemen, are here because the coaching staff believes they are capable of engaging and occupying defenders, allowing WM to find his path upfield.  We're built to run until we're stopped. 

384119[/snapback]

Is that like saying, "We have a lousy pass game!". :w00t:

Guest BackInDaDay
Is that like saying, "We have a lousy pass game!". :P

384173[/snapback]

:w00t:

That's not what I intended, but I have to think that our coaches will do back-flips if their inexperienced QB stays away from trying to do too much and performs adequately.

383907[/snapback]

We didnt have anyone capable of replaceing McGahee's production before. I like Shaud Williams as a backup