Hockey Management

Ennjay

Yes, somewhere in Canada......I forget the name now, but I will try and find it.

:)

Anyhoo, it fell into the range that the Sabres are in.....with a 6-7% chance of landing the #1 overall pick.

380912[/snapback]

3 out of 48 balls = 1 in 16 chance of getting Crosby.

Which is twice as good if equal weighted (1 in 32).

And much better than the 0% chance if the old system based on 2003 results stuck around.

That's why I'm asking about the front office.  This is really my point -- that with so much chaos and nobody's roster set, it's going to come down to management in a lot of cases.  It almost feels like the NFL did years ago when they went with replacement players during a strike.  Some teams were ready to play and some weren't.

380798[/snapback]

Sorry about that. I think I'll read an entire post before replying next time. Anyway, I think its a good possibility that management around the NHL will have a tough time adjusting to this system. Yes, the Sabres have a lot of room now, but just like the NFL, Darcy has to be careful not to cripple the team a few years down the line. It's going to be a few years before we can really know whether or not Darcy and co. are any good. I just wonder if the fans are willing to give him enough time to find out.

I think there's going to be alot more scoring this season due to the changes in goalie pads.  You're going to see alot more stuff just thrown at the net and a ton more rebounds. 

The Sabres may very well be a force to reckon with.

381029[/snapback]

I fondly remember the Aud with it's strategically tightened boards that that would cause a dumped puck to somehow end up 15 feet in front of the opposition goalie for 2 of 3 periods.

But that was just an unproven rumor.. :)

So here's the question:  I know next to nothing about Quinn and Regier, if that's even who management is.  Are these guys any good?  Can they take advantage of what looks like a break for the Sabres, or are they just going to shlub it out?

380678[/snapback]

Regarding Quinn, for a guy who is the "managing partner" of the Sabres, he always seems to be chiming in to the media regarding hockey matters that are probably best left to Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff. Nothing more than speculation on my part, but I believe Quinn is quite the meddler on the hockey operations side of the house. This from a guy whose primary background is construction project management(including HSBC Arena).

Regarding Quinn, for a guy who is the "managing partner" of the Sabres, he always seems to be chiming in to the media regarding hockey matters that are probably best left to Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff.  Nothing more than speculation on my part, but I believe Quinn is quite the meddler on the hockey operations side of the house.  This from a guy whose primary background is construction project management(including HSBC Arena).

381556[/snapback]

I'm hoping Quinn learned from his previous experience with the Sabres. To me his current role seems to be the media buffer for Goliasano. That said to answer the original question, I think Regier has done a fine job for the most part. I think he had a forsight that a cap would eventually be in place and prepared for it well adding talented players (Brierre and Drury) without bring astronomical salaries. Yet I think he still has to work on the goalie situation. As much as I like Marty Biron, I felt by the end of the 2004 season our best goalie was Mika Noronen. Ryan Miller still has to prove he's as good as he was at Michigan State. In terms of coaching, Ruff is starting to lose some of my respect, as while I like defense I think he has to open things up a little for the offense to improve.

I noticed a few of you mentioned "if Satan is still around". Is he now a free agent? We should have the cap room to be able to sign him. I would be disappointed in the team management if he was allowed to leave. Although a soft non-physical player, he has a lot of ability at putting the puck in the net. Muckers and grinders you can alway find. Scorers is harder

I noticed a few of you mentioned "if Satan is still around".  Is he now a free agent?  We should have the cap room to be able to sign him.  I would be disappointed in the team management if he was allowed to leave.  Although a soft non-physical player, he has a lot of ability at putting the puck in the net.  Muckers and grinders you can alway find.  Scorers is harder

381644[/snapback]

He's a restricted free agent. The big question is if he's worth the amount of money he would want. Not only is he a soft player, his effort has also come into question. You have to wonder if the money could be better spent on one or two other players.

Personally, I want him to stay. I don't want to buy a new jersey.

Anybody see this?  The Sabres are in pretty good position to snag "The Next One" (Sidney Crosby).  Only three other teams--Columbus, Pittsburgh and the Rangers have as many "balls."

I would have a problem with him ending up on the friggin Rangers. Hello conspiracy!!

He's a restricted free agent.  The big question is if he's worth the amount of money he would want.  Not only is he a soft player, his effort has also come into question.  You have to wonder if the money could be better spent on one or two other players.

Personally, I want him to stay.  I don't want to buy a new jersey.

381673[/snapback]

You bought a Satan jersey? What's your favorite cartoon? Strawberry Shortcake?

He's a restricted free agent.  The big question is if he's worth the amount of money he would want.  Not only is he a soft player, his effort has also come into question.  You have to wonder if the money could be better spent on one or two other players.

Personally, I want him to stay.  I don't want to buy a new jersey.

381673[/snapback]

Thats exactly it. He does not seem to have the "heart" to play for the Sabres anymore. He was hitting the "trade me" button 2 yrs ago. Remember the fake cell phone call to his agent right when he scored a game winner? That tells you something. I think he is still a hell of a good player, but I don't think he wants to be in WNY bottom line. He led the Sabres in scoring last season but Briere was only a couple shy of him and led the team in points overall (Briere). So in essence, if we can get another natural goal scorer in the free agent frenzy soon, then I suggest the Sabres forget SATAN and move on. I would love to see him work with VANEK though, but I believe his time is done unfortunately.

Thats exactly it. He does not seem to have the "heart" to play for the Sabres anymore. He was hitting the "trade me" button 2 yrs ago. Remember the fake cell phone call to his agent right when he scored a game winner? That tells you something. I think he is still a hell of a good player, but I don't think he wants to be in WNY bottom line. He led the Sabres in scoring last season but Briere was only a couple shy of him and led the team in points overall (Briere). So in essence, if we can get another natural goal scorer in the free agent frenzy soon, then I suggest the Sabres forget SATAN and move on. I would love to see him work with VANEK though, but I believe his time is done unfortunately.

381754[/snapback]

I wouldn't hold that against him now that the economic and competitive balance in the NHL will shift under the new CBA.

The Red Wings, and teams like them, don't have $77 million payrolls anymore, so the money he's looking for is no longer there.

And the powerhouse teams will lose their luster when they can no longer spend their way to the top.

If the front office believes Satan no longer fits the team, fine cut him. But I would hope they won't make any decisions based on a player's attitude during the now-deceased big-money era of the NHL.