Hockey Management

Ennjay

Since I don't live in WNY anymore and I'm lukewarm about hockey anyway, help me out.

It seems to me the next few months for the NHL (assuming there really is a labor deal) are going to be a free-for-all, with 60% of the players already free agents and more to come with buyouts and cuts. I've read (like, on this board) that the Sabres have a nice roster of players already under contract and enough cap space to add quality. In other words, they could be a contender.

It also seems to me that there's a big difference in hockey from one team to the next in front-office competence. For this reason I believe that, whatever the ground rules are, the Devils will be good because Lou Lamoriello knows what he's doing and the Rangers and Blackhawks won't be because their managements don't.

So here's the question: I know next to nothing about Quinn and Regier, if that's even who management is. Are these guys any good? Can they take advantage of what looks like a break for the Sabres, or are they just going to shlub it out?

As much as Reiger gets blasted for some trades and moves, he did have some vision as to gather guys who were not too expensive and to keep them around pre-lockout. Right now, the Sabres are sitting pretty good as we have one of the most complete rosters in the league. I think we will lose MIRO SATAN and ZHITNIK but hopefully we can replace them with some FA signing.

So overall, I'm optimistic that the Sabres have hung tight and are ready to be very competitive post CBA. Plus, we have about 5 very solid guys coming up from ROCHESTER (Vanek, Roy, Miller, Gustaud and Pominville). The playing field should level out and help small market teams like BUF to compete. Obviously, there are still many holes, but I think Darcy can get some good guys in here.

SCREW Detroit, Colorado, Dallas and NYRangers!!!!! :)

we have about 5 very solid guys coming up from ROCHESTER (Vanek, Roy, Miller, Gustaud and Pominville).

380697[/snapback]

Is that where the scoring will come from, other than Miller?

Is that where the scoring will come from, other than Miller?

380703[/snapback]

We still have Brierre, and Afinogenov if he comes back from Russia. We'll see if we still have Satan, and Hecht has shown some flashes of brilliance in the past. I'd say there is a good deal of scoring potential on the Sabres now. God, how long has it been since we've seen a sabres team that can put the puck in the net?

and we still have regier, ruff and an owner who doesn't launder money through the team. While they're not a lock to compete for the cup this year, they're definitely a lock to at least be in the middle of the pack....

I think its next to impossible to evaluate the roster right now. There's going to be so much player movement this summer. Half of the players who will be Buffalo Sabres come October probably aren't even in the system right now.

and we still have regier, ruff and an owner who doesn't launder money through the team.  While they're not a lock to compete for the cup this year, they're definitely a lock to at least be in the middle of the pack....

380757[/snapback]

So you think management is competent?

I think its next to impossible to evaluate the roster right now.  There's going to be so much player movement this summer.  Half of the players who will be Buffalo Sabres come October probably aren't even in the system right now.

380763[/snapback]

That's why I'm asking about the front office. This is really my point -- that with so much chaos and nobody's roster set, it's going to come down to management in a lot of cases. It almost feels like the NFL did years ago when they went with replacement players during a strike. Some teams were ready to play and some weren't.

I'd consider myself very knowledgeable about hockey teams and players, and after talking to many people in and around the league, many feel the Sabres are the best positioned team to succeed after the CBA.

Buffalo will be able to keep their great core of young, solid players and they'll have much room to go out and sign a few clutch players that will undoubtedly be dropped from teams like Colorado, Detroit, etc who will have to drop their salaries.

As much as people hated Regier, he had this team built perfectly for the lockout and the ensuing CBA agreement. This should be a great year for the Sabres and I can't wait.

That's why I'm asking about the front office.  This is really my point -- that with so much chaos and nobody's roster set, it's going to come down to management in a lot of cases.  It almost feels like the NFL did years ago when they went with replacement players during a strike.  Some teams were ready to play and some weren't.

380798[/snapback]

25 years and still waiting..

25 years and still waiting..

380804[/snapback]

For what? (The Sabres have been around for 35 years.)

The Sabres seem to be well positioned to resume play. If Miller or Biron are able to claim the #1 spot and play consistently, the team should be pretty good.

That's why I'm asking about the front office.  This is really my point -- that with so much chaos and nobody's roster set, it's going to come down to management in a lot of cases.  It almost feels like the NFL did years ago when they went with replacement players during a strike.  Some teams were ready to play and some weren't.

380798[/snapback]

The management under Quinn has had enough problems that it does not appear to be competent.

In my view the breakdown is:

Pluses:

1. Quinn clearly loves hockey this is essential to treating it as much as possible as a sport that happens to also be a business rather than simply as a business that just happens to be a sport. This really is a great background for fans to be taken care of but more on this later.

2. He has hired some hockey folks capable of doing good things. Ruff is a good old Sabre and though he is not a winner in everything he does and regardless of where he goes has excelled in several episodes in tangibles like W/L and intangibles in terms of players saying he is a good teacher and identifying and properly using players in several notable cases.

Negatives

1. Quinn clearly loves hockey but he is a legend in his own mind and this adds up to bad things and even disasters for the team because he gets overly involved and sometimes acts and manages like a kid in a candy store rather than as team president or manager. He seems to make personality disagreements between folks he has hired worse rather than solve any problems caused by these dynamics.

If Quinn was good at his job, he never would have allowed what was eventually open warfare between Ted Nolan and John Muckler to occur. Instead, he seemed to be more comfortable that he did not have to fear either party taking advantage his failings when they were at war with each other. If it got so bad between them then Quinn needed to fire one and move on, but helet this bad situation go on too long and the team suffered for it.

In addiition to the team management issues as above which were real, it was downright painful on an intangible level to watch him participate in a team skate back inthe old days. He donned a jersey and clearly personally enjoyed pretending like he knew what he was doing in all facets of the game, when clearly he just loved being able to rub shoulders with real players. Basking in their glow is fine, but pretending that you are also a stud athlete simply led to folks laughing behind his back and eventrually to his face. Unless he proves otherwise having Quinn as the man in charge is bad news.

3. Regier is a knowlegable and committed person, but he seems to one who can do well with good folks around him (as he did with the Islanders) but the operation from the felons at the Rigas family, to the little boy in Quinn, to the pertulant fighting between Nolan and Muckler that he inherited simply made for a bad situation where Regier was not at his best. What the future holds we will see but with Quinn in charge it is unlikely to be good because I doubt Quinn can resist playing one person off against another and think that he is managing the dynamic to get more out of both. From the slow-speed chase which began his tenure in Buffalo when Quinn tried to smuggle him in past the press, it has been bad.

4. Ruff looks like a pretty good coach to me. Ocaisonally he also plays favorites a bit too much rather than judging players based on on-ice production and nothing else. However, again if he gets good context he can be a very good coach.

So you think management is competent?

380794[/snapback]

read FFS's post. Yes. Management is competent. I do tend to part with FFS's assesment of quinn though. During quinn's first go-around, the sabres were moving into a new building, lost both of their original owners, lost their captain to injury, had the ted nolan/john muckler/[insert name of team president here... i totally draw a blank, but he was that weasel with the red hair]/dominik hasek power struggle, had regias, etc. I give quinn's first go-around an incomplete. Same for his second go-around. Although, i know for a fact that quinn has learned from his mistakes to leave the hockey department to run things, and he has a financially sound and smart owner to check him if he makes a mistake.

The sabres still have a very good farm system, good scouts, they have a solid checking line, great defense (assuming Z signs), and towards the end of the 03-04 season, were able to put the puck in the net. Satan is still on the edge of the 50 goal plateau, we have 3 starting goalies (yeah yeah, no playoff experience, but that didn't really hamper nikali khabibulin, that unknown from the flames, moose from the pens a few years ago, etc.) This is a playoff team with stable ownership, good coaches, and yes, good management.

The Sabres have 3 balls (only 3 other teams have that many) for the Draft Lottery. There's a chance we might be able to get Crosby!

I want to make sure we retain the young guys, like Afinogenov, Drury, Dumont, etc. I also think we should be able to sign at least 2 All-Star caliber players with our cap room.

I'm really excited at the Sabres chances.

We still have Brierre, and Afinogenov if he comes back from Russia.  We'll see if we still have Satan, and Hecht has shown some flashes of brilliance in the past.  I'd say there is a good deal of scoring potential on the Sabres now.  God, how long has it been since we've seen a sabres team that can put the puck in the net?

380738[/snapback]

Thats right. Briere, Max, Drury, Hecht, JP Dumont and Satan (if he stays) are some good examples of the current scorers on the roster. Add Roy and Vanek to the mix and we have some firepower.

And then when the Sabres draft Crosby :) we will be rolling!!

There is a website set up that runs a simulation for a weighted NHL lottery.

I gave it a spin 125 times......The Sabres got the #1 pick on 9 occasions.

380898[/snapback]

Does this aforementioned website have a link?