Hurricane is comming my way!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, when I got directly hit by Jeanne and Frances, it sucked. And I know that sounds like the most obvious and understated thing you've ever heard, but it does suck. And it sucks bad.

Some tips:

They are probably already gone, but get as many C and D cell batteries as you can. I mean, price gouging or not, you need them. Also, if all you can find is AA cell, you CAN use them in a flash light by wrapping them in tape. I know, it sounds ghetto, just do it.

Since I know you already went and got ice (you did, didn't you?) And since you more than likely have more than you can fit in your freezer or coolers, FILL YOUR WASHING MACHINE with ice. Keeps it frozen a good 2 days.

Go to the grocery store and get those big gallon jugs of generic "Fruit Drink". All of the water will be gone, but buy those, dump them, and fill them with water now. This isn't to drink, this is to fill the back of you toilet when (or if) your water supply gets shut off. Not being able to flush the toilet for 2 or 3 days when you have no Air conditioning can be awful.

Beer. Lots and lots and lots and lots of beer. When your power goes out, and its 90+ degrees and the winds outside are faster than ever, nothing will make you feel safe like being drunk out of your mind.

Good luck mi amigo.

Steve

I just spoke to my Mother a few minutes ago. She's in Clearwater visiting her granddaughter and her kids. They were in a Wal-Mart and, all of a sudden, the lights went out in the store. She said the rain was coming down hard and that it was sideways.

I just spoke to my Mother a few minutes ago.  She's in Clearwater visiting her granddaughter and her kids.  They were in a Wal-Mart and, all of a sudden, the lights went out in the store.  She said the rain was coming down hard and that it was sideways.

378069[/snapback]

Yeah, the west coast is going to be a rocky road. please tell her to get home ASAP. It's about due west of Naples now.

Jeff

I just spoke to my Mother a few minutes ago.  She's in Clearwater visiting her granddaughter and her kids.  They were in a Wal-Mart and, all of a sudden, the lights went out in the store.  She said the rain was coming down hard and that it was sideways.

378069[/snapback]

Thats where I live at Rich. We've had loss of power a few times today, with some pretty good rain. But really not too bad. Gusts of about 30 to 40 mph. I'm sure your Mom is fine. :D

The first major squall line is about to hit us in a few hrs...and we'll get it a bit worse, cuz my roommates house isnt in Tallahassee, its about 20 miles south in crawfordville, so we are only 5 or so miles off the gulf coast...but we're pertty well prepped...hope you guys are doing well around the bend from us in tampa and such...

The first major squall line is about to hit us in a few hrs...and we'll get it a bit worse, cuz my roommates house isnt in Tallahassee, its about 20 miles south in crawfordville, so we are only 5 or so miles off the gulf coast...but we're pertty well prepped...hope you guys are doing well around the bend from us in tampa and such...

378097[/snapback]

Unfortunatley, im a Fireman , and my wife and 2 kids are home alone! I dont get off until tomorrow morning, hope it holds off untill then!

Last year, when I got directly hit by Jeanne and Frances, it sucked. And I know that sounds like the most obvious and understated thing you've ever heard, but it does suck.  And it sucks bad.

Some tips:

They are probably already gone, but get as many C and D cell batteries as you can. I mean, price gouging or not, you need them. Also, if all you can find is AA cell, you CAN use them in a flash light by wrapping them in tape. I know, it sounds ghetto, just do it.

Since I know you already went and got ice (you did, didn't you?) And since you more than likely have more than you can fit in your freezer or coolers, FILL YOUR WASHING MACHINE with ice. Keeps it frozen a good 2 days.

Go to the grocery store and get those big gallon jugs of generic "Fruit Drink". All of the water will be gone, but buy those, dump them, and fill them with water now. This isn't to drink, this is to fill the back of you toilet when (or if) your water supply gets shut off. Not being able to flush the toilet for 2 or 3 days when you have no Air conditioning can be awful.

Beer. Lots and lots and lots and lots of beer. When your power goes out, and its 90+ degrees and the winds outside are faster than ever, nothing will make you feel safe like being drunk out of your mind.

Good luck mi amigo.

Steve

378066[/snapback]

Excellent advice. Kinda takes me back to my Zap Comic days and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's favorite saying, "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope!" kinda rings true now doesn't it?

My daughter's in Jaxonville and the hurricanes of the last two years have been a real concern for the Nanker family too. Prayers and good wishes to all in harms way.

Stay safe peeps....I was in Pensacola for IVAN last year. That sucked...No power for 5 days...Quite a bit of damage....looked like a war zone. I'll take the Outback or Buffalo snow anyday.

Last year, when I got directly hit by Jeanne and Frances, it sucked. And I know that sounds like the most obvious and understated thing you've ever heard, but it does suck.  And it sucks bad.

Good luck mi amigo.

Steve

378066[/snapback]

Steve, I live in Jensen, Ground Zero for Frances and Jeanne... We have a well and lost water until I could find a Generator after Jeanne... One thing we used was I bought a couple large trash cans and filled them with water for flushing.

For those peoples sake I hope Home Depot and Lowes does a better job at getting Generators after the storm than they did last year. That or the Power guys can get right in and hook em back up... Living without electric in 90 deg heat isn't fun.

Supposed to be a Cat 4 now.. My prayers are with all of you up there.

Steve,  I live in Jensen, Ground Zero for Frances and Jeanne...  We have a well and lost water until I could find a Generator after Jeanne...  One thing we used was I bought a couple large trash cans and filled them with water for flushing. 

For those peoples sake I hope Home Depot and Lowes does a better job at getting Generators after the storm than they did last year. That or the Power guys can get right in and hook em back up...  Living without electric in 90  deg heat isn't fun.

Supposed to be a Cat 4 now..  My prayers are with all of you up there.

378135[/snapback]

I know what you mean Fires, I'm on a well too and I was able to run a cord from my neighbors house last year. I picked up a generator this year and did the "Dryer plug" thing. Worked great! Well we're safe this time. It's funny how, all of a sudden, we have lost our summer. We have Fall, two weeks of Winter, one month of Spring then hurricane season. All you do is watch your back all summer!

Jeff