Bills fan experiences at away games

I have never been to an away game for the Bills, partially because the opportunity hasn't arisen, but moreso because I feel like it'd be a pretty terrible experience.

It's not quite like baseball where you may be able to civilly discuss stats or the game at large, or where everyone cheers for a big play regardless of what team you're on (all null and void if we're talking Sox-Yanks, of course). There are only 16 football games, every game means a little more, the division rivalries are big and things can get mean.

That said, what have your experiences been as a Bills fan on another team's turf? Positives, negatives, all of it. I'd like to know. Where have you encountered the most Bills fans? What about those of you who are regular attendees in other cities?

I thought it might be interesting to talk football, even if indirectly. :doh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to a Jets game at Giant Stadium, Several games here in Washington, a game in Baltimore and in Philly. Other then a few fans at the Jets game telling me that it would be best for me not to wear my Bills jacket in and keep any celebrations to a low key, I never had a problem. Most everyone was very civil and would talk about each others team pretty nicely. The key is don't be an ass, don;t get drunk and hold your tongue on celebrations, and don't whine if the other team gets ahead or scores.

We went to the Seattle game last year, and the experience was great. We were all wearing Bills jerseys, and ran into a good number of Bills fans. The Seattle fans sitting near us were able to talk intelligently about football, and nobody gave us a bad time. Seattle's new stadium is also pretty impressive.

We're in Southern California, so we're going to the Chargers game this November. Haven't been to a football game at the Murph in a while, so we'll see how they treat us down there.

I've been to a couple of Vikings games. Overall, they were ok although there were a few jerks above us trying to antagonize our group (we had 100-150 people in one section, all wearing Bills colors).

I've also been to a Bills/Packers game and it was a great experience. Tailgating was fun before the game, and lots of people came over to talk to me (civilly) about the Bills. Some threw good-hearted jabs ("What are you wearing THAT for???").

Once in Lambeau, I had the good fortune to actually sit next to another Bills fan (what are the chances of THAT happening?!). We were pretty rowdy for the first few minutes and the fans around us were very good natured. We lost the game 10-0 (in '02 if I recall). Throughout the whole game, the fans were asking me a lot of questions about the Bills, the players, the city, etc. It was a great time.

No complaints.

CW

I've raced up and down the aisles of the LA Coliseum after we kicked the Raider's butts there screaming "RAIDERS SUCK", and at the same time I've been afforded "poor" treatment by their fans in the same venue on other occasions. It's a matter of judgement in most arenas, if you're truly concerned about a crowd simply attend the game with an opposing fan or two and you'll have no problems. If you don't know anyone in a town you're going to, buy seats from local ticket holders- the fans around them will keep an eye on you as a favor to the regular ticket holders.

As with any game, alot of it depends on the people around you.

I've never had a problem, although I've seen a few. My advice is to be respectful and keep it low key, at least for a while.

I've been to away games in:

Pittsburgh

Washington

Arizona

NY (Giants & Jets)

San Diego

Cinci

Cleveland

Dallas

Houston

Heading to New Orleans this year.

If you can get in with a group of Bills Fans you'll have a much better time.

I've been to a couple of Vikings games.  Overall, they were ok although there were a few jerks above us trying to antagonize our group (we had 100-150 people in one section, all wearing Bills colors).

I've also been to a Bills/Packers game and it was a great experience.  Tailgating was fun before the game, and lots of people came over to talk to me (civilly) about the Bills.  Some threw good-hearted jabs ("What are you wearing THAT for???").

Once in Lambeau, I had the good fortune to actually sit next to another Bills fan (what are the chances of THAT happening?!).  We were pretty rowdy for the first few minutes and the fans around us were very good natured.  We lost the game 10-0 (in '02 if I recall).  Throughout the whole game, the fans were asking me a lot of questions about the Bills, the players, the city, etc.  It was a great time.

No complaints.

CW

377005[/snapback]

I too was at that game at Lambeau. I went with my Packer buddy. I was treated like a football fan, nothing more, nothing less. It was a great experience, but would have been better if KGB didn't sack Bledsoe everytime he went back to pass.

It was allot of fun.

I went to a preseason game in Irving Texas as well. That was a while back. They are a very quiet crowd, and some people were jerks but most ignored me.

Lastly, I went to a sunday night game against the Cards here in AZ. I can't comment on the Cardinal fans because I did not encounter any. :doh:

Lastly, I went to a sunday night game against the Cards here in AZ. I can't comment on the Cardinal fans because I did not encounter any.  :doh:

377018[/snapback]

That's the one I went to. Man they were a quiet bunch.

Hilite - Henry Jones returning an onside kick for a TD :doh:

Atlanta during the RJ fiasco. Atlanta won. Much different experience than the Ralph. MUCH different. No one really got into the game. Guy next to me was standing up yelling GO BILLS (wasn't with me). Falcons fans would yell something back, but it was all in good fun.

At the Ralph, the Falcons fan would be wearing beer.

-Jeff

As previously stated, last year's game in Cincy felt like Buffalo Southwest...bitter cold, a game dominated by our defense, and the very loud singing of the Shout! song after every score.

I also went to the Bills/Colts preseason game last year...I don't think a single Colts fan said anything to me about my Spikes jersey.

New England has been hell, at least since the end of the Kelly era.

Patriots "fans" are rude, arrogant, and disrespectful, almost to a person. The tailgate experience (pre-game) has generally been good, but in more than one occasion I've feared for my personal safety on the way out of the stadium -- while being pefectly quiet and only the hat on my head tipping my allegiance.

If you can avoid it, don't go. Don't waste your money. I will not pay a dime to go into that stadium again -- but for some reason, tickets always seem to find me :lol:

I have been to dozens of away games in numerous cities and there is really only one rule: If the Bills play well and win, you'll have a blast. If they suck and lose, you will suck and be a loser. All teams have both obnoxious fans who will berate you if you wear your Bills gear, and fun fans who will playfully berate you and have fun with it. You will ALWAYS see a lot of Bills fans at away games and suddenly become best friends with them. Go to as many as you can.

Pittsburgh ('92 playoffs): Spit at by some unemployed steel worker...that was it. After the Bills win, fans wished us luck. :D

Jets, Meadowlands: Nary a peep. :lol:

Baltimore: Last year...Bills fell behind early and wasn't bothered. :P

Washington (Fed-up Field and RFK): No hassles. ;)

Cleveland ('89 playoffs): Almost as many Bills as Browns fans...was in the middle of a Bills crowd...even had Genny Beer on tap, felt like I was home. :lol:

In San Diego you will have no problem. Mosdt everyone is from somewhere else in San Diego and there is a great deal of tolorance for out of town guests and fans.

Unless you are the biggest jerk this side of the Mississipi, you will have a great time. November 20th will be no different. Should be a great game between the Bills and the CHargers.

SF- In the lot (the part that wasn't under sea level) the Niners fans were too worried about their wine and quiche t bother us. They leave at teh end of the 3rd quarter no matter what the score.

Oakland- Had a great time in the lot. We were with Pinto Ken and had the Raider fans doing bowling ball shots. In line for the port-a-john, I got looks but talked intelligently with fans. Got yelled at going in and out of the stadium, but our seats were in season ticket territory, so the fans there were civil with us.

The black hole is over-rated. They dress up scarry, but are accountants, etc. in real life. The ones you have to watch for are fans in Mt. Davis (the upper deck) because those are the seats the gang bangers can afford.

New England has been hell, at least since the end of the Kelly era.

Patriots "fans" are rude, arrogant, and disrespectful, almost to a person.  The tailgate experience (pre-game) has generally been good, but in more than one occasion I've feared for my personal safety on the way out of the stadium -- while being pefectly quiet  and only the hat on my head tipping my allegiance.

If you can avoid it, don't go. Don't waste your money.  I will not pay a dime to go into that stadium again -- but for some reason, tickets always seem to find me  :lol:

377070[/snapback]

Its called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE for a reason. We dont want you comfortable and cheering for the away team in OUR stadium.

Just like you dont want a bunch of Pats fans whooping it up at the Ralph.

Then again, maybe you just got caught in the wrong section around the wrong fans. I've never threatened a fan of another team nor have I poured beer or anything like that. Only banter and smack talk from this end.

Lastly, I went to a sunday night game against the Cards here in AZ. I can't comment on the Cardinal fans because I did not encounter any.  :lol:

377018[/snapback]

I went to that game as well...Was like a high school homecoming game..Met some great people,walking around Tempe on game day...People coming up to you and talking Bills,asking where are you from etc...And I also remember all 12 of the AZ fans letting out a collective sigh when Henry Jones ran the onside kick-off back for a TD.I also remember thinking that Jake the snake was a bit scarey....

Also had a great time at the San Diego game...Met quite a few wallers,got "flashed" at the tailgate,got a chance to do some deep sea fishin'...Took a bit-o-good natured ribbin' over the Butler/Flutie deal,but overall the fans were civil...

I too was at that game at Lambeau. I went with my Packer buddy. I was treated like a football fan, nothing more, nothing less. It was a great experience, but would have been better if KGB didn't sack Bledsoe everytime he went back to pass.

:lol:

377018[/snapback]

Just a slight correction, thats was Holiday going off for five sacks that game.List of my away games

Jets---3 times

Baltimore--2 times

Redskins

Raiders (in LA )

Colts

Stillers 3 times including 92 playoffs

New England (old stadium)

Miami(orange bowl)

Cleveland(old stadium)

San Diego(RJs first game)

As you can tell, alot of the games pre-wife and kids.

I have never had one little problem. However, I am also one who does not wear a bunch of Bills gear, even in Rich. I also have never sat in a big group of Bills fans, so been on my own. My experience is if you are a true football fan, do not whine about every call agaisn't the Bills, acknowledge good plays both ways, and don't start MFing the other team and its fans incessantly, you will be fine just about anywhere