Going To Boston For The Fourth

PTS

My girl and myself are driving to Boston for the Fourth of July weekend. We're staying pretty much right in downtown. I was there once before as a kid so I don't remember much about it. Anyone from Boston or familiar with it that can point out a few good things to do...

We're already doing these...

1. Red Sox Game

2. The Freedom Trial

3. Duck Tour

4. New England Aquarium

5. Spitting on Tom Brady's house.

A growing pasttime is trying to find a Pats fan who was following the team and attending games when they were losing. First one to find one wins. Good luck. Try to make time for other things, though this game has proven time-consuming and futile.

Go to Abe and Louies. Great steakhouse.

Watch yourself in NE though. I had the idiots in the airport pull me because I had a Bills shirt on when I left town. The supervisor asked why I was selected, because he felt I didn't the profile. They said, I had a Bills shirt on. When the super was pissed and shouting obsenities at them in the airport. Needless to say, I got some apologies real quick and was quickly passed through.

My girl and myself are driving to Boston for the Fourth of July weekend. We're staying pretty much right in downtown. I was there once before as a kid so I don't remember much about it. Anyone from Boston or familiar with it that can point out a few good things to do...

We're already doing these...

1. Red Sox Game

2. The Freedom Trial

3. Duck Tour

4. New England Aquarium

5. Spitting on Tom Brady's house.

368070[/snapback]

Hit the North End if you like Italian food

She'll really enjoy shopping at Quincy Market. Also, if you've never been whale watching, it's a great place to do it. Legal Seafoods (right downtown by the aquarium) is a great place for seafood.

We go for the 4th every year, but are not going this year. Make sure you see the fireworks on the Charles River!

After you get here, DON'T try driving around the city. Take public transportation (MBTA.com) or cabs.

Unless you like being in massive crowds, skip the Pops on the Esplanade on the 4th.

If you want restaurant recommendations, send me a PM and tell me where you are staying. I work in Boston and may be able to help.

Of course you can always visit The Harp on Causeway St., the autumn home of the Bills Backers of Boston :angry:

After you get here, DON'T try driving around the city. Take public transportation (MBTA.com) or cabs.

Unless you like being in massive crowds, skip the Pops on the Esplanade on the 4th.

If you want restaurant recommendations, send me a PM and tell me where you are staying. I work in Boston and may be able to help.

Of course you can always visit The Harp on Causeway St., the autumn home of the Bills Backers of Boston :angry:

368204[/snapback]

No offense but cabs in Boston are a rip off. Unless you are getting reimbursed they are way too expensive.

None taken. $30 to park your car somewhere in downtown Boston is also a big ripoff though.

368215[/snapback]

I agree. But I was up there this year. Took a cab basically 7 miles from the convention center to a little place just North of the city. Cost me 30 going and 25 coming back. for 7 friggen miles.

Actually use the tram (what is it called), if you can. Real cheap way to get around.

I agree.  But I was up there this year.  Took a cab basically 7 miles from the convention center to a little place just North of the city.  Cost me 30 going and 25 coming back.  for 7 friggen miles.

368219[/snapback]

i took a cab with my mother last year and the fare was $3 to go 4 blocks . gave the guy a ten and told him to keep the change

I've watched the live 'Pops Goes the Fourth' concert on Ch. 5 the past couple years and haven't been disappointed. Don McLean was great and EVERYONE sang along to "American Pie." Probably tough to get into that tho. Also saw a thing on Chronicle about the Duck Tours. Those look fun.

Just watch out for the crazies walking outside Quincy Market selling books like "How Aliens Colonized Earth: And What Will Happen When They Come Back."

Wish I could tag along for No. 5, only I'd drink a 2-liter Coke and pee on his foundation.

Cross the Zakem bridge to Charlestown and visit the Bunker Hill Memorial. Looks like a mini-Washington Monument. You can climb to the top and see a great view of Boston.

If you are there saturday or sunday, have dim sum in Chinatown. It's the chinese version of brunch, where ladies push steam carts to your table offering little appetizer-sized dishes. Each dish is $2-$5 and has 3-5 pieces. The best dim sum parlor is China Pearl, although Chow Chow City is good too. There is always a wait but the line moves fast because the food arrives the second you sit down. A typical meal is over in 30 minutes or less. Dim Sum is served from 11am to 2pm saturday, sunday, and monday. It's an experience worth sampling.

Hang out at Harvard Square in Cambridge.

You can take a 90-min ferry ride (or fairy ride if you prefer) to Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod. The Silver Line subway takes you to the World trade Center stop where the ferry terminal is. $60 round trip with 3-4 trips a day.

Be warned that if you don't get to the Esplanade before 6am, forget about getting anywhere near the Hatch Shell to see the Boston Pops concert. But you can see the fireworks from Cambridge pretty well.

PTR

A few comments on what people have said.

Take the public transportation for sure! Take the subway, known as the T. Very cheap and it'll get you anywhere.

Also, what's been said about the 4th down there is true, except the skipping it part! Tons of crowds, although it's great to go there. If you decide to go there, bring a blanket and grab some food. I suggest going to the Cambridge side to watch the fireworks, less people, and you can still hear the music. There used to be speakers on the Cambrige side, but last year they stopped putting them there, but you can still hear the music from the speakers across the river.

However, if you're hotel is within reasonable walking distance, just walk to the Boston side and stake your ground there. That way, you won't have to bother driving, or taking the T, back to the hotel, which is a complete disaster.

368204[/snapback]

Golden haven'tbeen there for a good many years, but is No Names still open.Had a great dinner there. Was right down on the waterfront, freshest fish avialable, but no liquor licence, so you brought own. If it is still open, and you like great seafood at a reasonable price, that was the place

If you're going to be in Boston during the 4th - you have to hit up the esplanade. If you want a great view - but distance from the crowds - sit on the Cambridge side of the river near the Mass Ave Bridge. Regardless, it's great atmosphere... very patriotic.

Boston favorites:

a) Definitely hit up a Red Sox game - Even if you don't get tickets to the game - go hang out on Yawkey Way - atmosphere is unique. Grab a beer at Cask N' Flagon.

b) Beacon Hill - beautiful area - check out Cheers - just around the corner on Beacon.

c) Boston Commons - great park

d) Newbury Street - great shopping - very expensive - fun to people watch tho.

e) Top of the Hub - get a great view of the City and ocean from the top of the Prudendial Building.

f) Fanuel Hall / Quincy Market - cool but touristy.

g) North End - amazing Italian Food - definitely hit up Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry. For dinner - you really can't go wrong with any restaurant in the North End but Lo Conte's Italian Cuisine on Salem Street is awesome.

h) Take a Sunset Harbor Boat Cruise - just went on one last Friday night - 2 hours - $20/person - it was fun... go to Rowes Warf to purchase tikets.

i) Restaurants in Boston - Abe and Louies - steak house... good - but I prefer Grill 23 or Capital Grill. How can you come to Boston and not get seafood?? SkipJacks is ok - Legal Seafoods is not bad - but becoming too chain like. Check out this site for the top ten places to go: 10 Best

Don't forget the Chowder. I like Legal Seafood's chowder - but Joe's American Bar and Grill isn't bad.

j) Check out Harvard Square - walk through Harvard Yard - Hungry for a burger? Go to Bartley's - right on Mass Ave - heading towards Central Sq from Hvd Sq. Want Mexican? Check out the Border Cafe - very cool atmosphere - inexpensive as well... lot of fun.

k) Duck Boat Tour - it's great - it will show u just about everything around the city. I'd get tickets for this early - this tends to sell out - and with it being a holiday weekend - plan ahead. Boston Duck Tours

l) Beaches - the ocean will be frigid but Crane Beach up in Ipswich is very nice. It's been over 100 degrees here the past two days - and it is expected to be hot and steamy all week as well. The Cape has amazing beaches as well... but the drive out there is too time consuming...

m) If time is not an issue - Providence RI has really transformed itself into a nice City. Buffalo could learn a few things or two. But Newport, RI is awesome but a good 2 hour drive, if not more with traffic... If you have time - that's a beatuiful area. Black Pearl Restaurant is awesome - right on ocean/pier - great chowder, atmosphere.

Enjoy Boston - New England is a beautiful area. We already know the natives are not the friendlist - they admit it themselves. You would think after winning a few super bowls and finally another world series - they'd loosen up. Nah, won't happen. It is what it is. Not every city can have people like Buffalo...

Just have a great time and be safe.

PS: I wear my Bills hat all the time. I've been to Gilette Stadium as well... I've never had a problem with New England Fans. Pat fan's seem to have some respect for the Bills... Flutie and Bledsoe are still favorites here. However, wear your Yankee's hat and you're asking for trouble.