Star Wars acting wasn't the worst so far

VABills

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club, Fast and fusious

367948[/snapback]

Please, do not put a movie like 'fast and furious' in the same sentance with the 3 movies previous.

In my opinion it went way over the top.  People getting shot and arms and legs flying down the beach.  Ever seen someone get shot, I have twice, there arm or leg didn't go flying off.  I cannot get beyond that bad "shock and awe" tactic to help sell a movie.

368160[/snapback]

No, I have never served in the military nor seen anyone shot. I cannot imagine a more terrible sight. I cannot possibly understand what you have seen.

However, you weren't in WWII or Normandy. Neither one of us can understand what those vets experienced nor what it really looked like. So I have to side with the men who were there, the ones I have spoken with personally. None of them said any bit of SPR was "shock and awe" to help sell the film. In fact, most say it is the most realistic WWII film they have ever seen.

In fact, Hanks and Spielberg spent months in pre-production for SPR going through the script to be sure everything in it was as real and authentic as they could get it. Thier aim was to recreate (to the best extent they could given it's a movie and not reality) the sacrifice these men made during the battle of Normandy. It was NOT a movie with marketing considerations in mind.

Have you ever seen a grenade or landmine go off, much less near a person?  It AIN'T pretty.  It's nothing like "just" getting shot.

368282[/snapback]

No, but the movie showed people "just getting shot" with their arms and legs flying down the beach.

Tony, that post was GREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAT. Pretty much sums up his movie review skills.  :D

:P  :angry:

368295[/snapback]

:doh::P Daddy Day Care?!?!?! Oh jeezus. Here's an idea. Let's criticize Saving Private Ryan for having unrealistic battle scenes and Seven for plot holes (?????) but let's praise Daddy Day Care. :lol:

deep throat . now that is a movie i could watch over and over and over ..............................................................................and ........................................................ over

No, but the movie showed people "just getting shot" with their arms and legs flying down the beach.

368331[/snapback]

Oh, I see what you are saying now...

Go watch the beach scene again, I think you are missing it. No one loses an arm or leg from bullets. It's the mortars and the heavy 88s on the ridge doing that damage.

Trust me. No one in that film was shot and suddenly had a limb fly off.

"Rambo, Blade, and those types are good enjoyable movies, but the production, and actoring was poor at best."

WHAT? The acting was poor?

Teasle: He was just another drifter who broke the law!

Trautman: Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Teasle: Now don't give me any of that crap Trautman. Do you think Rambo was the only guy who had a tough time in Vietnam? He killed a police officer for Christ's sake!

Trautman: You're goddamn lucky he didn't kill all of you.

And the Oscar goes to....

Oh, I see what you are saying now...

Go watch the beach scene again, I think you are missing it. No one loses an arm or leg from bullets. It's the mortars and the heavy 88s on the ridge doing that damage.

Trust me. No one in that film was shot and suddenly had a limb fly off.

368347[/snapback]

I second that. I just popped it in the VCR and watched the opening. Anyone who you see lose a limb (or get chopped in half, or such), does so to shell fire, not bullets.

VABills, here is a list of movies I thought were outstanding from 1999 alone, one of the last great years from top to bottom for movies.

American Beauty

Magnolia

Fight Club

The Green Mile

The Sixth Sense

Toy Story 2

Tarzan

The Blair Witch Project

Star Wars Episode I

Sleepy Hollow

The Insider

The Matrix

That is all I can think of. You asked for some good movies from the last 10 years, I could go on and on, but here are a bunch of good movies from one year alone.

I know your opinion of Star Wars I, so I won't try to convince you it's good.

The Blair Witch Project is either loved or hated by people, I thought was an effective, creepy film.

Magnolia & The Insider were not blockbuster films, but had outstanding acting, and good storylines. You mentioned good screenplays were important, check out Magnolia.

Toy Story 2 & Tarzan were great animated movies. I do'nt know if your attitude towards these type of films is all that positive, but you should see these 2 movies, and see what good stories they were. Especially Toy Story 2.

American Beauty, The Green Mile, & The Sixth Sense were all worthy nominees for Best Picture that year.

That's my reply to you on this matter, I look forward to your reply.

I saw Bewitched.  Wow, talking about bad acting, bad screne play, bad everything.  Holy crap 3 movies this summer  SW, MR and MRs Smith and Bewitched.  All terrible.  How can they put this crap out?  :angry:

367717[/snapback]

Mind if I ask what led you to think that there was a chance that this might be a good movie in the first place?

EDIT: Never mind. I just read further and saw that you specifically highlighted Independence Day as a good film. You have already been assimilated. :doh:

Mind if I ask what led you to think that there was a chance that this might be a good movie in the first place?

368572[/snapback]

Because I find the pundits to be wrong on a lot of occassions. What they think is bad, I on occassion find good, and vice versa. Actually to be fair, I thought Kidman actually did a half decent job in the role. But the rest of the acting was horrible, the plt was bad, etc...

Besides the wife wanted to go, so sometimes one must do as the other half wants.

VABills, here is a list of movies I thought were outstanding from 1999 alone, one of the last great years from top to bottom for movies.

American Beauty

Magnolia

Fight Club

The Green Mile

The Sixth Sense

Toy Story 2

Tarzan

The Blair Witch Project

Star Wars Episode I

Sleepy Hollow

The Insider

The Matrix

That is all I can think of. You asked for some good movies from the last 10 years, I could go on and on, but here are a bunch of good movies from one year alone.

I know your opinion of Star Wars I, so I won't try to convince you it's good.

The Blair Witch Project is either loved or hated by people, I thought was an effective, creepy film.

Magnolia & The Insider were not blockbuster films, but had outstanding acting, and good storylines. You mentioned good screenplays were important, check out Magnolia.

Toy Story 2 & Tarzan were great animated movies. I do'nt know if your attitude towards these type of films is all that positive, but you should see these 2 movies, and see what good stories they were. Especially Toy Story 2.

American Beauty, The Green Mile, & The Sixth Sense were all worthy nominees for Best Picture that year.

That's my reply to you on this matter, I look forward to your reply.

368452[/snapback]

I agree and stated earlier that Green Mile and 6th Sense were good movies. Toy Story was good, never saw TS 2.

Blair Witch, I could not watch the whole thing it was so bad.

Star War I, was much better then the last two and was okay. The acting was IMHO much better. The last two have just been aweful acting.

American Beauty, was not very good. It was just a little too far out, and strange for my tastes. Also, not a Kevin Spacey fan.

American Beauty wasn't so far out rather it was so close to home. I thought it was a fantastic movie with a great story line. But, my wife hated it. I love "what if" movies where I come out thinking afterwards "What if that really happened to me? Or what if I was there?"

Sixth Sense

The Matrix

Dawn of the Dead

Fight Club

Apollo 13

Pay it Forward

Contact

American Beauty, was not very good.  It was just a little too far out, and strange for my tastes. Also, not a Kevin Spacey fan.

368580[/snapback]

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie. It was a very good movie. Very well written, acted, and directed.

If you're really interested in "good" movies maybe you should try to discover some independent films? Or does a movie have to have a multi-million dollar advertising budget to get your attention?

Go rent "Dirty Pretty Things" and maybe you'll start to understand where the quality flicks are.

1 Toy Story Buena Vista $191,796,233

2 Batman Forever Warner Bros. $184,031,112

3 Apollo 13 Universal $172,071,312

4 Pocahontas Buena Vista $141,579,773

5 Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls Warner Bros. $108,385,533

6 GoldenEye MGM $106,429,941

7 Jumanji Sony $100,475,249

8 Casper Universal $100,328,194

9 Seven New Line $100,125,643

10 Die Hard With a Vengeance Fox $100,012,499

367735[/snapback]

So, Toy Story, Pocahontas, Seven, and Apollo 13 don't make the cut but Jumanji does, eh?

To each his own, indeed.

I saw Bewitched.  Wow, talking about bad acting, bad screne play, bad everything.  Holy crap 3 movies this summer  SW, MR and MRs Smith and Bewitched.  All terrible.  How can they put this crap out?  :doh:

367717[/snapback]

I agree. My wife roped me into both Bewitched and Mr. and Mrs. Smith this weekend and they were both horrible. Bewitched especially. Thank God I got my sanity back by going to see Land of the Dead, which I liked very much by the way. :(

This is stupid - going through the lists from the past years, my lists differ from those some of you pick as what you think a good movie is. Point is - individual tastes are the marker - I hated Titanic, but it was decent entertainment and made a moatload of cash.

Some of the best movies I have seen in the past 10 years were not even close to the top 10's

* Chasing Amy

* Pulp Fiction

* Sideways

Some think these are an abomination...What can you do.

This is stupid - going through the lists from the past years, my lists differ from those some of you pick as what you think a good movie is.  Point is - individual tastes are the marker - I hated Titanic, but it was decent entertainment and made a moatload of cash.

Some of the best movies I have seen in the past 10 years were not even close to the top 10's

*  Chasing Amy

*  Pulp Fiction

*  Sideways

Some think these are an abomination...What can you do.

368946[/snapback]

Of course you are right. Everyone has their own tastes. The point is there is a big difference between not enjoying a film and a film being bad.

Like all art, cinema has its own set of rules and guidelines it uses to determine what makes a GOOD film and what makes a BAD film. Certainly individual taste is an element of the equation, but a small one.

For VA to make assertions that movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Seven, Good Will Hunting etc are BAD films simply because he doesn't like them is insane (even more so when he considers Cheaper by the Dozen and Patch Adams as examples of GOOD cinema).

For me, I despise the movie 'Magnolia'. It did nothing for me. I found it overly pretentious and dull. HOWEVER, I also can admit that it is well acted, well directed and is well written (from a technical standpoint)...it's just not MY taste.