Star Wars acting wasn't the worst so far

VABills

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly, living in Hollywood myself, I can barely go to one party or dinner or screening without two industry types arguing endlessly over which is better, Daddy Day Care or Saving Private Ryan. I don't know what it is about those two flicks that since their totally independent creation, production and release have been practically linked together as a permanent double feature.

Usually an executive will start his monday morning meetings at all of the studios with something along the lines of, "Are we going to be a Saving Private Ryan studio or a Daddy Day Care studio?" Arguments, the nastiest arguments I have ever seen here to be honest, invariably break down to: "There are two kinds of people in this world, Saving Private Ryan people and Daddy Day Care people. Pick a side, pal, because you can't be both."

Even the most topical arguments of the day, like DVD piracy or the digital revolution, or the backend payouts in gross vs net profits ALMOST ALWAYS at some point end up being a Saving Private Ryan vs. Daddy Day Care argument, and invariably end up with some kind of fisticuffs and arrests. It's incredible. You can't go anywhere, say anything, without SPR v. DDC.

So which is it, men? Pick a side and stick with it. This is the only argument that matters.

Surprisingly, living in Hollywood myself, I can barely go to one party or dinner or screening without two industry types arguing endlessly over which is better, Daddy Day Care or Saving Private Ryan. I don't know what it is about those two flicks that since their totally independent creation, production and release have been practically linked together as a permanent double feature.

Usually an executive will start his monday morning meetings at all of the studios with something along the lines of, "Are we going to be a Saving Private Ryan studio or a Daddy Day Care studio?" Arguments, the nastiest arguments I have ever seen here to be honest, invariably break down to: "There are two kinds of people in this world, Saving Private Ryan people and Daddy Day Care people. Pick a side, pal, because you can't be both."

Even the most topical arguments of the day, like DVD piracy or the digital revolution, or the backend payouts in gross vs net profits ALMOST ALWAYS at some point end up being a Saving Private Ryan vs. Daddy Day Care argument, and invariably end up with some kind of fisticuffs and arrests. It's incredible. You can't go anywhere, say anything, without SPR v. DDC.

So which is it, men? Pick a side and stick with it. This is the only argument that matters.

369350[/snapback]

Now, just imagine the apocalyptic scene that would occur w/ a Jumanji vs Apollo 13 argument.

The horror...

City of God

Amelie

Lamerica

Life is Beautiful

Run Lola Run

Farewell My Concubine

Cinema Paradisa

Y Mama Tu Tambien

The Kingdom

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

Raise the Red Lantern

Wings of Desire

Great recent films. See Hollywood is not dead.......oh wait- those are all foreign films <_<

City of God

Amelie

Lamerica

Life is Beautiful

Run Lola Run

Farewell My Concubine

Cinema Paradisa

Y Mama Tu Tambien

The Kingdom

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

Raise the Red Lantern

Wings of Desire

Great recent films.  See Hollywood is not dead.......oh wait- those are all foreign films <_<

369397[/snapback]

I'm w/ ya there for a few of those, Pete (the ones I've seen and liked are in bold), but Run Lola Run? That was horrible.

Also, isn't it Cinema Paradiseo? I can't recall the exact spelling, but I knew what you meant.

I'm w/ ya there for a few of those, Pete (the ones I've seen and liked are in bold), but Run Lola Run?  That was horrible.

Also, isn't it Cinema Paradiseo?  I can't recall the exact spelling, but I knew what you meant.

369446[/snapback]

You must be a movie buff RRich- I am impressed you have seen that many. You didnt care for Run Lola Run? I thought it was clever and original. I liked The Butterfly Effect and thought they borrowed alot of the storyline from RLR. Your spelling of Cinema Paradiseo is probably more correct. RRich- check out City of God- its fantastic!

You must be a movie buff RRich- I am impressed you have seen that many.  You didnt care for Run Lola Run?  I thought it was clever and original.  I liked The Butterfly Effect and thought they borrowed alot of the storyline from RLR.  Your spelling of Cinema Paradiseo is probably more correct.  RRich- check out City of God- its fantastic!

369689[/snapback]

Nah, I didn't care @ all for Run Lola Run. I thought it was a waste of time. I'll check out City of God some time down the line, after the Passion of the Christ, which I've had from Blockbuster online for about 2.5 months.