eric moulds

I wish every player on our team was as bad as Moulds.

He is one of the few left on this team that truly appreciates the game, the Bills organization and the NFL. He is an excellent leader and not enough can be said about him.

Not sure how this relates to the original post, but I wanted to say good things about Moulds because he dererves them.

The problem is, even if Moulds has a great year...his salary is still insane and his renegotiation seemed to only buy him another year in Buffalo. Now granted, I'd much rather see Big Mike lower his contract and enable us to hang onto Moulds, but the reality of the situation is that all signs point to this being Moulds last season in Buffalo.

Plus, we did draft a WR with our first pick in the draft...makes me think that TD also recognizes the issues in keeping Moulds.

It sucks, Moulds is one of my favorite Bills and I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can work something out, but much like with Nate...I dont expect either to suit up for us next season.

I don't agree that this will be moulds last year here for several reasons.

1. We're dangerously thin at wr depth. Even though we drafted a wr every year in the draft since 99 Peerless Price/ Avion Black/Reggie Germany/Josh Reed/Sam Aiken/Lee Evans/Roscoe Parrish. So That's 1 first rd wr 3 2nd rd wr's 2 4th rd wr's and 1 7th rd wr. 3 of them are no longer with the team. 2 of them have done a hell of a lot of nothing. 1 looks to have potential and the other in an unknown.

2. Roscoe Parrish will never be a #2 wr in this league. He's a career slot guy and that's why we got him to stretch zone defenes with his speed. He can not step in to the #2 role no matter how well he plays this season.

3. Losing Eric Moulds would mean drafting another wr high again next year neglecting other needs on this team such as the oline/dline/cb/fs/ss.

4. Not one wr on our roster has shown anything that would make anyone say at least with a straight face that they can come into lee evans spot and replace the production of eric moulds. Sam Aiken is too slow. Josh Reed has hands of stone. Parrish won't cut it.

The ideal scenairo would be to either trade inleague for a big time wr, or lock up moulds long term to a friendly deal getting the most out of what he has left. and btw if you think Moulds contract is assinine Ike Bruce is making 10 million dollars this season.

The problem is, even if Moulds has a great year...his salary is still insane and his renegotiation seemed to only buy him another year in Buffalo.  Now granted, I'd much rather see Big Mike lower his contract and enable us to hang onto Moulds, but the reality of the situation is that all signs point to this being Moulds last season in Buffalo.

Plus, we did draft a WR with our first pick in the draft...makes me think that TD also recognizes the issues in keeping Moulds.

It sucks, Moulds is one of my favorite Bills and I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can work something out, but much like with Nate...I dont expect either to suit up for us next season.

364716[/snapback]

Moulds wants to retire in Buffalo. He should be well off financially, and I believe he stays. As far as his stats, I don't know why they turned him into a 10 yard possesion receiver, obviously the Bledsoe- front line issue. I am as frustrated as everyone, watching our 40 million dollar receiver do a 10 yard and out. He didn't seem as powerful or elusive as years past even in that roll. I also feel that Moulds played an enornous part in the release of Bledsoe. Let the mobile QB send him some strikes.

these stats are hard to argue with. he's just a possession guy now. a pretty good one, to be sure, but nothing more than that. his ypc have declined every year since 1998!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1196

364675[/snapback]

I think you have to cut Moulds some slack. He hasn't exactly had Peyton Manning throwing to him the past few years.

He drops way too many balls for a WR of his caliber.  I think he does stay here and takes a pay cut.

364885[/snapback]

I keep reading here about how EM drops too many balls but, in all fairness, I remember watching a lot of passes come in too long, too short or behind his back the past couple of years. Don't know if it was his fault or DB's but those two never seemed in sync.

these stats are hard to argue with. he's just a possession guy now. a pretty good one, to be sure, but nothing more than that. his ypc have declined every year since 1998!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1196

364675[/snapback]

Stats don't always tell the whole story! EM was injured, played under different OC's, PP was a big factor in there, and I gotta tell you after watching last year's games DB was throwing the ball to him so far over his head I don't think Wilt Chamberlain could have caught em' :blink:

I couldn't find stats for #'s of passes droped but I looked on footballoutsiders.com and found this passes thrown to receiver/yards/td's/% caught

152 1048 5 58% - eric moulds

86 769 13 57% - randy moss

127 1202 14 61% - TO

153 1399 11 61% - Joe Horn

137 1151 7 58% - Andre Johnson

169 1274 10 56% - Chad Johnson

So It seems like even if moulds is droping passes as many are claiming he's still catching around the same % of passes as some of the top flight wr's in the league.

Anyone see that McGahee highlight video that was going around here? It was very clear by watching that video that Moulds is excellent downfield blocker -- a realy asset in the running game, which is what I believe the Bills want to focus on this upcoming season.

Not to mention the fact that he is mentoring Evans and Parrish.

Moulds is worth every penny he gets.

I think you have to cut Moulds some slack. He hasn't exactly had Peyton Manning throwing to him the past few years.

364764[/snapback]

I'm with you. It is hard to get yac yards when the ball is thrown behind you, at shoe high level or over your head,or with 2 defenders all over you - Drew hung EMO out to dry more times than I care to remember.

Anyone see that McGahee highlight video that was going around here? It was very clear by watching that video that Moulds is excellent downfield blocker -- a realy asset in the running game, which is what I believe the Bills want to focus on this upcoming season.

Not to mention the fact that he is mentoring Evans and Parrish.

Moulds is worth every penny he gets.

365186[/snapback]

lest anyone misinterpret, i never said he wasn't worth the money. what i said is that as a downfield, he's been in decline since 1998. someone brought up his injury in 2003, but that's just the point. a torn groin will take .1 off your 40 time permanently. he's simply not as fast as he used to be. i don't know how anyone watching the games could argue with that. last year, he ran a number of fly routes that i saw and more often than not was covered quite well. lee evans, however, frequently blew past people. moulds is very good at other necessary skills, of course -- he's very strong and can fight for balls well, and is a nice target. he drops a few, but so do most receivers of his caliber. basically, though, it's inarguable that he's declined as a deep threat. and it's not the qb - he's declined every year with bledsoe at the helm, and bledsoe, for all of his flaws, is significantly better than his immediate predecessor, rob johnson. he even declined from 2003 (an injury-plagued year) to 2004, a year in which he was healthy and on a significantly better and more functional offense.

364764[/snapback]

Damn straight.

Since Kelly retired after his first season, Moulds has had to catch passes from Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, and, except for a few games, Drew Bledsoe lying on his back.

Meanwhile Marvin Harrison, for example, has been catching passes from the same guy almost his whole career.

lest anyone misinterpret, i never said he wasn't worth the money. what i said is that as a downfield, he's been in decline since 1998. someone brought up his injury in 2003, but that's just the point. a torn groin will take .1 off your 40 time permanently.  he's simply not as fast as he used to be. i don't know how anyone watching the games could argue with that. last year, he ran a number of fly routes that i saw and more often than not was covered quite well. lee evans, however, frequently blew past people. moulds is very good at other necessary skills, of course -- he's very strong and can fight for balls well, and is a nice target. he drops a few, but so do most receivers of his caliber.  basically, though, it's inarguable that he's declined as a deep threat. and it's not the qb - he's declined every year with bledsoe at the helm, and bledsoe, for all of his flaws, is significantly better than his immediate predecessor, rob johnson.  he even declined from 2003 (an injury-plagued year) to 2004, a year in which he was healthy and on a significantly better and more functional offense.

365235[/snapback]

Dammit, McBride, whose side are you on? Let me make the following points:

1. I don't think last year's offense can fairly be called "significantly better" or "more functional" than 2003's, esp. if you adjust for the fact that we had McGahee last year -- ie the passing offense was equally bad both years. The play-calling was much more intelligent in 2004, but the execution at QB was equally bad (here are Bledsoe's #s: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1041).

2. Moulds had more TDs, more big plays and more yards last year than 2003 -- so even though he had a slightly (0.3) lower ypc, I don't think you can say he declined every year with DB (although to be fair he missed 3 games in 2003 with the injury and was certainly not 100% when he returned). Although his #s were better in 2002, that was when the entire offense was on fire and putting up 40+ ppg for half the season.

3. Moulds is 32. He's not going to be as fast now as at age 25. But he's still a force of nature out there. He's among the top handful of WRs in the league as far as size and strength. He doesn't get outmuscled or out-positioned for balls. He has to be accounted for on every play, which opens things up for Evans. They complement each other very well. Hopefully, Roscoe will be able to benefit from this as well to a much greater degree than Reed has.

4. If we could only have one WR currently on our roster for this coming season, whom would you choose? Is there any doubt that it's Moulds? Evans by himself would have the same production that Peerless has had in Atlanta as the #1 WR.

5. If your point is that Moulds isn't as great a deep threat on post patterns as Randy Moss (or for that matter Lee Evans) is, well, OK. But that's like saying Tom Brady doesn't throw the deep ball on post routes -- when he has all the time he needs -- as well as Bledsoe does. It's only part of the job requirements. Moulds is still immensely valuable to the team and IMHO either the best or 2nd-best player on the offense. When we NEED a first down, we are looking for Eric, and he will go up in traffic, come down with it and drag the defender as far as he needs to.

6. Bottom line: if JP is good, Moulds will have a big year. His #s aren't going to be as good as TO's -- but TO doesn't have anyone as good as Evans on the other side. And would anyone want a jerk like TO instead of Moulds anyway?

Go Bills.

I wish every player on our team was as bad as Moulds.

He is one of the few left on this team that truly appreciates the game, the Bills organization and the NFL. He is an excellent leader and not enough can be said about him.

Not sure how this relates to the original post, but I wanted to say good things about Moulds because he dererves them.

364713[/snapback]

EM is a true-blue Bills player. He is one that was drafted by the Bills and has stayed with the Bills. I do hope he retires with us right after winning a couple of Superbowls.

I would love to draft more people like EM who perform well but will not play the market simply to get a lot of $$. He has always been a team player and a model football player.