The Catholic Church

And if you read what I said,

and what I bolded, I agree.  But sometimes they have errored on the side of too much forgiveness.

362367[/snapback]

Then we primarily agree.

It seems to me that many in power did not see these acts of abuse to be as disgusting and shocking as they in fact were. I don't attribute ALL of this to "too much forgiveness."

I sincerely hope that this rapidly changes, because I do not wish to see the collapse of the Catholic Church.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they take the collection is just another glaring example of the Catholic church's reliance on guilt and shame.  Why not just have an anonymous box for depositing their "donations"?  Why, because then the entire congregation wouldn't get to see who donated and who didn't.  It's only purpose is to shame people into opening their wallets and dumping cash into a basket on a stick.

362301[/snapback]

Um, passing a plate or a basket on a stick to collect money is hardly limited to Catholics.

But feel free to remain "outraged". I mean, DAMN that terrible Catholic Church for asking for money to do all those terrible guilty things. You know....like pay the electric bill and clothe the poor of the Parish :blink:

362330[/snapback]

Where did I say I was outraged? I AM a catholic...well, WAS a catholic. I find the catholic church to be hypocritical and exclusionary. I find my own views completely opposite to their views/stance on abortion and gay marriage. Their handling of pedophile priests bordered on the criminal. I am not outraged, I just do not identify with what their version of faith is.

Where did I say I was outraged?  I AM a catholic...well, WAS a catholic.  I find the catholic church to be hypocritical and exclusionary.  I find my own views completely opposite to their views/stance on abortion and gay marriage.  Their handling of pedophile priests bordered on the criminal.  I am not outraged, I just do not identify with what their version of faith is.

362384[/snapback]

I know of plenty of people who do not "put into" the basket on Sunday. Some cannot afford it, others have money automatically donated and sent to the church on a given periodic basis, I know one guy who donates a lump sum once per year, and other who will wad some bills up and put them in the basket so others cannot see what they give. Trust me those in the pews do not really care whether one gives or not nor how much. And those that do have issues and should be concerned with themselves. Again there are Good and bad Catholics. It is not my job to judge those that give too much or too little. Where I go, the emphasis is more on donating your time then on giving money. I know money is an issue, at our Church, but the priests have always tried more to push the people to volunteer, get involved and help out with the mowing, the cleaning, the school setup, etc.... Never a big push for money. I cannot say about other Churches, but most I have gone to, it really was not lectured on during the mass and if something was said, it maybe one sentence about combining collections. But I look at that as administrative detail and pass over it. Anyone who picks that out is being overly sensitive in my opinion.

Um, passing a plate or a basket on a stick to collect money is hardly limited to Catholics.

362383[/snapback]

True. The money grab is not exclusive to the RCC. I just don't think it should be part of the religious ceremony. But, truth be told, it doesn't really matter to me, because I don't go to church.

Look, I'm not a religious person if it is to be defined by how and where a person worships. I just try to live my life without screwing anybody over. I probably react the way I do because I was formerly Catholic. I'm only in this thread to piss off Ben Franklin, anyway.

There are a lot of generalizations in this thread- not everybody that follows organized religion is a lemming, but there are way too many that do fit that category.

Too often I have seen people follow a tradition that doensnt even hold any meaning for them, and they dont even know why they are doing things. This is habit- not religion.

I am not Catholic but am a "Born Again Christian".  I am sorry you feel that way about Organized religion.  My typical response to that is when someone says they had a bad experience for one reason or another, visiting churches and trying different denominations should maybe be like falling in love.

I am also not Catholic (my wife is) and I am a born again Christian. I am certainly not ANTI-Catholic. When we baptised our children in the Catholic church, I made a promise to my God, that I would support them in their spiritual growth through all sacraments, and I kept my promise.

Just because one breaks your heart and/or dissappoints you, doesn't mean the next one will.  After the first girlfriend broke your heart, did you decide you would never go out with another girl again?   Just because one church isn't what you think it should be for whatever reason, it shouldn't leave you so jilted that you never go again or generalize that they are all the same.  (Rock - for the record i know you did not say they were all the same).

Oooh, bad analogy. I do not need any church to practice my religion. But that girl thing.... some things are better when NOT done alone. <_< This Parish, by the way is usually one of the better ones.

In regard to your experience...i don't know what to tell you.  In our church the guy that does the announcements and greets people ususally says, "if you are visiting please know that our church is fully supported by the tithes and offerings of our members so please do not feel any obligation to give anything. (I know that is what he says, because i am the guy that says it.)

As far as the message, yesterday my Pastor preached a message on the love of the prodigal son's father.  Good stuff.

...and for the record, all I find distasteful in the Catholic church is the method and timing of speaking about the NEED for money.

1. Easter Sunday, the 1st thing said should not be financial.

2. A prayer mass for my father-in-law was also a homily for raising money.

3. Father's Day homily was a pitch for WJZS :blink:

In my experience, which includes almost all denominations, the Catholics are the only ones who did this - leaving a bad taste in my mouth and a reluctance to attend their mass.

By the way, except for (some of) the mud-slinging I am enjoying this thread. :wub:

There is plenty of misdeeds attributable to the RCC but that should not extend to those things the RCC did well. Unless of course you are simply and completely anti-Catholic.

362313[/snapback]

I hear Manson made a creat chicken fried steak. If he could serve one up for me right now, I would love it. Maybe even invite him over to my table. You know: I can take the good with the bad.

Everything I ever needed to know about the Mormon religion I learned by watching South Park.  Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb...

362425[/snapback]

:blink:

I know of plenty of people who do not "put into" the basket on Sunday.  Some cannot afford it, others have money automatically donated and sent to the church on a given periodic basis, I know one guy who donates a lump sum once per year, and other who will wad some bills up and put them in the basket so others cannot see what they give.  Trust me those in the pews do not really care whether one gives or not nor how much.  And those that do have issues and should be concerned with themselves.  Again there are Good and bad Catholics.  It is not my job to judge those that give too much or too little.  Where I go, the emphasis is more on donating your time then on giving money.  I know money is an issue, at our Church, but the priests have always tried more to push the people to volunteer, get involved and help out with the mowing, the cleaning, the school setup, etc....  Never a big push for money.  I cannot say about other Churches, but most I have gone to, it really was not lectured on during the mass and if something was said, it maybe one sentence about combining collections.  But I look at that as administrative detail and pass over it.  Anyone who picks that out is being overly sensitive in my opinion.

362394[/snapback]

Then why have the basket passed around at all? Why not have the basket/box/slot near the entrance to the church where people can unload their pockets on their way in or out? It's been a while for me, but isn't the basket passed around while the priest is preparing the sacrements? Shouldn't that be a time for personal reflection rather than emptying your pockets of spare change?

As an example, maybe a bad one, but here it is none-the-less....

You're walking down the street thinking about something important (job, kids, life, the Bills), and a homeless person cuts you off and asks for your spare change. What's the first thought that crosses your mind? Seriously. If you are being truthfull, you're probably a bit irritated that this person is begging for change. You may give them some change, but what was your first reaction?

Or...you tune into NPR (I know, quite a stretch for some of you) and they are having another damn fund drive. You wanted to hear the news, and they're asking you for cash on your commute. You wanted to hear more insightful analysis regarding the MJ trial, and instead these commies are hasseling you for your hard-earned cash. To top it off, you're at a stoplight and there's yet another vagrant walking between the cars begging for change, and another one soaping up your windshield. Leave me the hell alone, you say to yourself...the guy at the gas station just squee-geed my windshield, and I tipped him with all my spare change. This country has gone to hell.

This is a truly brilliant line of bull sh--.  Really, it's genious.  Pure art work.  I'm going to print it and have it framed. 

Too bad the intelligent design you so desperately cling to in the real world is so sadly lacking in your own post...

362269[/snapback]

Even in your higher mammalian brain, I see the hand of God. And I needn't study at a University (or even a college) to see it.

Let's make a friendly wager. If you cannot refute ID, and I have yet to see a post where you do, attend Mass for a year. The stakes are low: you just need to prove that the hand of God is not at work in all you see. If you fail to do this, going to Mass for a year is a minor thing. If your faith in the science god is so unshakeable, this should be a triviality.

Take a few days. And please, in the tradition originated by Catholics, "SHOW YOUR WORK."

The multiple wives thing could be kinda cool though...

:blink:

362451[/snapback]

Yeah...

Wife #1: Get out and wash the cars!

Wife #2: Mow the lawn!

Wife #3: Did you clean out the garage yet?

Wife #4: We don't have time to watch sportscenter! I need to go shopping!

Uh, I'll pass. <_<

Really?  You able to keep the one you have happy?

362454[/snapback]

I'd like to think so. But I'm mainly thinking along child care lines. I hate the idea of possibly sending my son to day care (don't have to at the moment). If I had another wife or two, one could stay home and tend to the kids while the rest work. I'm telling you it's gold Jerry, gold!

Then why have the basket passed around at all?  Why not have the basket/box/slot near the entrance to the church where people can unload their pockets on their way in or out?  It's been a while for me, but isn't the basket passed around while the priest is preparing the sacrements?  Shouldn't that be a time for personal reflection rather than emptying your pockets of spare change?

You're walking down the street thinking about something important (job, kids, life, the Bills), and a homeless person cuts you off and asks for your spare change.  What's the first thought that crosses your mind?  Seriously.  If you are being truthfull, you're probably a bit irritated that this person is begging for change.  You may give them some change, but what was your first reaction?

Or...you tune into NPR (I know, quite a stretch for some of you) and they are having another damn fund drive.  You wanted to hear the news, and they're asking you for cash on your commute.  You wanted to hear more insightful analysis regarding the MJ trial, and instead these commies are hasseling you for your hard-earned cash.  To top it off, you're at a stoplight and there's yet another vagrant walking between the cars begging for change, and another one soaping up your windshield.  Leave me the hell alone, you say to yourself...the guy at the gas station just squee-geed my windshield, and I tipped him with all my spare change.  This country has gone to hell.

362457[/snapback]

Ahh- Dr. Biology. Welcome to the thread.

The basket is important. It serves as a truly visible reminder how, as a bound community, we acheive more than as individuals. Sure, the individual can feed a man a meal, but only together can we teach him to farm.

The basket is important. It serves as a truly visible reminder how, as a bound community, we acheive more than as individuals. Sure, the individual can feed a man a meal, but only together can we teach him to farm.

362462[/snapback]

didn't Hillary Clinton say that? :blink:

362462[/snapback]

If someone said the basket represented something relevant, like Moses floating down the Nile, then maybe I would agree that it holds a purpose and not just cash.

BTW, if you would let us genetically alter your food, then you wouldn't need to teach anybody how to farm. You'd have to teach them molecular biology, but we'd all be smarter.

Even in your higher mammalian brain, I see the hand of God. And I needn't study at a University (or even a college) to see it.

Let's make a friendly wager. If you cannot refute ID, and I have yet to see a post where you do, attend Mass for a year. The stakes are low: you just need to prove that the hand of God is not at work in all you see. If you fail to do this, going to Mass for a year is a minor thing. If your faith in the science god is so unshakeable, this should be a triviality.

Take a few days. And please, in the tradition originated by Catholics, "SHOW YOUR WORK."

362458[/snapback]

You presume too much. I believe in God. I just don't believe in your pathetic attempts at simplifying His existence to a level that human shallowness can accept. "Intelligent Design" is nothing more that an attempt to inflict human interpretation on the Divine. As such, it's beyond proof or disproof...it is, in effect, a fiction designed to make people feel less insignificant about their place in the universe. Of course, given the immense difficult some people have distinguishing between "fiction" and "non-fiction" here, it's not surprising that we have to have these little talks...

And I'll go to a Catholic mass the moment they stop preaching anti-semitism and ritual cannibalism.

I don't have the time, nor requisite energy to explain things to many of you who simply want to attack without thought, knowledge, or logical explanations for your position. My reasoning for not going crazy with much of the horrible logic is basically that many of your responses are non sequitors, have very little relevance to the topic, and they certainly are not posed with a desire to learn more but to criticize the little you know and simply waste my time. I only plan one day off a week from my business and if you think that the time I do have is going to spent replying to non-sense your simply wasting my time as well as your own.

Some of you remind me of my brother who plays video games hooked up to the internet talking to invisible friends through the medium of a screen thinking if they spend enough time on it some type of prize is awaiting them. Here's a solution to your dilemma: get a life. Who knows you might do something productive with your life and actually be a benefit to society and others.

I hate to tell you this, but there is more to life than message boards. I may read them every so often, but I will not waste my life answering to all the pettiness or reading all the responses. If you think you will post some great response to illustrate some type of hypocrisy or judgementalism here's another clue: learn what the words mean that you are using and realize that Our Lord was judgemental and so am I. Our Lord said not to judge, but that was the intention of the individual, not their actions or their malice, of which He said, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge just judgment." (John 7: 24)

Don't quote Jesus Christ on "Judge not lest ye be judged" without realizing that we are supposed to judge justly, to the point of calling people "a brood of vipers... how will you flee the wrath of hell."

If you want to ask me legit questions and know my position, fine, and I will answer, but if you think I'm going to get into a match of wits with sarcasm as your means of communicating and half-brained responses than you are blowing hot water through your nose. I have a life, a good business, I enjoy learning and helping others. That is why you will not see my posting much for the rest of the week (hint: I'm trying to be more than a leech on a message board and deal with real people)

As a new friend just reminded me: Illegitimi Non Carborundum (thanks Beausox)

Oh and Darin, when you finally think of something intelligent to say formulate it with proof and explain your own position of what you believe and how you practice it without playing the role of the Devil's Advocate. At this point you are only playing a mindless Devil.

Then why have the basket passed around at all?  Why not have the basket/box/slot near the entrance to the church where people can unload their pockets on their way in or out?  It's been a while for me, but isn't the basket passed around while the priest is preparing the sacrements?  Shouldn't that be a time for personal reflection rather than emptying your pockets of spare change?

You're walking down the street thinking about something important (job, kids, life, the Bills), and a homeless person cuts you off and asks for your spare change.  What's the first thought that crosses your mind?  Seriously.  If you are being truthfull, you're probably a bit irritated that this person is begging for change.  You may give them some change, but what was your first reaction?

Or...you tune into NPR (I know, quite a stretch for some of you) and they are having another damn fund drive.  You wanted to hear the news, and they're asking you for cash on your commute.  You wanted to hear more insightful analysis regarding the MJ trial, and instead these commies are hasseling you for your hard-earned cash.  To top it off, you're at a stoplight and there's yet another vagrant walking between the cars begging for change, and another one soaping up your windshield.  Leave me the hell alone, you say to yourself...the guy at the gas station just squee-geed my windshield, and I tipped him with all my spare change.  This country has gone to hell.

362457[/snapback]

Actually my church does have that lock box at the back that if you choose to anonymously (sp????, I don't want to !@#$ing look it up either) contribute you can. Secondly that portion of the mass is really the only "down time" during the mass and the perfect opportunity to collect.

Again it isn't like some Churches like Jewish or Mormon where you basically need a ticket to get in and the only way to get one is to tithe. The Catholics accept all and you only give if you can. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar and a scum.

I don't listen to NPR, and I don't give to street urchins.

The Catholics accept all and you only give if you can.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar and a scum. 

362481[/snapback]

I believe this is generally true...but I have seen the odd parish where that was not true.

I hasten to stress, as well, that I've considered those parishes the exception rather than the rule...

Unless you are a homosexual, a divorcee.....

362484[/snapback]

The Catholic Church accepts you, you just can't receive the sacrements of penance for those "sins" and I put it in quotes so it is not meant to be judgemental. Also, you are not allowed to receive Sacrements of marraige, communion, confirmation, etc... I do not believe they withhold last rights however, but will not give you the host. They will not however preclude you from attending mass, etc...

I believe this is generally true...but I have seen the odd parish where that was not true. 

I hasten to stress, as well, that I've considered those parishes the exception rather than the rule...

362488[/snapback]

I don't disagree, and I believe there are some liars and scum that are preists, nuns and administrators in the Church. But again with the Catholic Church you can always go to another parish. Unlike some other faiths where you basically have to buy your ticket in and even your pew if you want to sit.

Let's all go light a candle.

362495[/snapback]

Again, notice that there is no dollar sign over the box next to the candles. It is give if you can and want, but they will let you light one or more candles in honor of whoeevr you would like.

The Catholic Church accepts you, you just can't receive the sacrements of penance for those "sins" and I put it in quotes so it is not meant to be judgemental.  Also, you are not allowed to receive Sacrements of marraige, communion, confirmation, etc...  I do not believe they withhold last rights however, but will not give you the host.  They will not however preclude you from attending mass, etc...

362493[/snapback]

So you are welcomed in with open arms and can give freely to the church, you just can't receive the sacrements. I let all my gay friends know. They'll be so pleased.

Actually my church does have that lock box at the back that if you choose to anonymously (sp????, I don't want to !@#$ing look it up either)  contribute you can.  Secondly that portion of the mass is really the only "down time" during the mass and the perfect opportunity to collect. 

Again it isn't like some Churches like Jewish or Mormon where you basically need a ticket to get in and the only way to get one is to tithe.  The Catholics accept all and you only give if you can.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar and a scum. 

I don't listen to NPR, and I don't give to street urchins.

362481[/snapback]

FYI.

At Quaker Meeting, there's no box or basket. You have to seek someone out and ask them how to support the Meeting, if you even want to.

Of course, Quakers don't burn books or engage in cannibalism (C'mon Monkey!), but they do have that wacky belief in peace.

I don't disagree, and I believe there are some liars and scum that are preists, nuns and administrators in the Church.  But again with the Catholic Church you can always go to another parish.  Unlike some other faiths where you basically have to buy your ticket in and even your pew if you want to sit.

362496[/snapback]

Been to some of these- the named pew thing is unreal. In Catholic Church, there is both a sense of community and anonymity. If you are new to the Church, no one will hunt you down to see if you are trying to join. You can just go, enjoy a Mass, and leave.

In many protestant faiths, if you go to the service, they will swarm to you afterwards. "Outsider!"

FYI.

At Quaker Meeting, there's no box or basket. You have to seek someone out and ask them how to support the Meeting, if you even want to.

Of course, Quakers don't burn books or engage in cannibalism (C'mon Monkey!), but they do have that wacky belief in peace.

362507[/snapback]

That's great. I have actually been to one Catholic Church that was that way. No collection, but the parishoners knew what to do to give, and this way "guests" did not have to feel obligated.

Yeah the whole peace thing sucks though.

I have had arguements with the nuns in our hurch when they were considering having a discussion about not letting Harry Potter books be brought into the school by the students. I had my say and the discussion ended real quick and so did the ban. They now have multiple copies of each in the school library for the children to check out. :blink:

As I said, I don't always agree, and I will voice my opinion when they try to do something stupid. So far I haven't been excommunicated. <_<

Been to some of these- the named pew thing is unreal. In Catholic Church, there is both a sense of community and anonymity. If you are new to the Church, no one will hunt you down to see if you are trying to join. You can just go, enjoy a Mass, and leave.

In many protestant faiths, if you go to the service, they will swarm to you afterwards. "Outsider!"

362513[/snapback]

I never even knew about that until 4-5 years ago. Visited a friend, and went to their service and was amazed to see that. I inquired a little, and turns out they had to hand over their taxes each year and a church and pew fee assessed based on their income.

So you are welcomed in with open arms and can give freely to the church, you just can't receive the sacrements. I let all my gay friends know.  They'll be so pleased.

362506[/snapback]

Actually that's not entirely true. You can actually be gay, and still receive the sacrements. However, there is a catch. You must go to reconciliation, ask for forgiveness and promise never to sin again. Basically you can be gay receive the sacrements as long as you abstain.