Anyone hear Peter King on WGR?

Damn straight.  It was Bill Conaty.

:unsure:

In all fairness, it wasn't first team All NFL.  Still, not one of Z's shining moments.

360639[/snapback]

to be fair to the great dr. z, i remember that piece and he said that he was basing his picks on the 2-3 games of film that he saw on the various players selected. the game that blew him away was the one against the jets early in 2001; conaty did actually have an excellent game that day.

wow...i didn't realize that honestly misquoting a tired old SI column writer would draw such ire.

just call me "Mitch Albom" and stick a fork in me.

360866[/snapback]

it's so easy to pick on greats with such an air of self-assurance. z is the best football writer ever, hands down. and no, i don't know the guy.

it's so easy to pick on greats with such an air of self-assurance. z is the best football writer ever, hands down.  and no, i don't know the guy.

360920[/snapback]

One thing I hate all these guys writing is when they keep adding doggy bites

about their families....Dr.Z keeps talking about his RedHead wife and

Kings writes paragraphs about his daughters college and softball games....kinda annoying...why can't you guys get to the job....writing about football.

One thing I hate all these guys writing is when they keep adding doggy bites

about their families....Dr.Z keeps talking about his RedHead wife and

Kings writes paragraphs about his daughters college and softball games....kinda annoying...why can't you guys  get to the job....writing about football.

360957[/snapback]

that's only on the website, which is their more informal platform. read the magazine - there's none of that in there.

Woah, was this Dr. Z or Peter King saying this stuff??

361137[/snapback]

It was Peter King and not Dr. Z. I apologize for the error. I started on Peter King and jumped to Dr. Z and that was a mistake. They original post was based on Peter King and not Dr.Z. :devil:

I apologize. I didn't even realize it until I read that last post. :doh::doh:

t-r

yeah, agree, the idea that Dr. Zimmerman knows much - is laughable. guy is a book worm - stat hound who guesses on high percentage picks. "gee, gandy will hold the fort down on the left side." is this really profound news?

but hey, if his predictions are that willis will win the rushing title and gandy will do well, i think he got it 50% correct. willis is a great back, but jamal lewis, mccallister, holmes, portis and ESPECIALLY Tomlinson will have something to say about this all. those guy have been there before - how can you rule them out? also, having JP will force Defenses into the box with 8 guys now. plus, the word is out that willis is healthy, so teams will be out to stop him. we also have a hard schedule v. rushing defs. there are so many variables to winning a rusing title.

gandy is a hulking character with good skills. but when a team like chicago unlaods him, one has to wonder. they are in need of all warm bodies. mouse mcnally is a good coach, but he can't make gandy an all star can he? especially with a QB who will not have worked with this front line yet and will not know what to do when various blitz packages come from all over the field - especially versus miami's saban DE and belcheks, and etc. in addition, we have no healthy TE to help chip on the lines. we got 3 TES down. lastly, JP will have to be able to read defenses to take pressure of various fronts and he will have to know how to audible out of possbile jams. can he do that? we don't know how many times bledsoe changed plays - which may have created holes for willis - that #11 saw. the little things add up.

:devil:

Are you serious?  Is this the same Dr. Z who placed Dusty Zeigler (when he was still with the Bills) on his season ending "All-NFL" team?

360496[/snapback]

yeah, agree, the idea that Dr. Zimmerman knows much - is laughable.  guy is a book worm - stat hound who guesses on high percentage picks.  "gee,  gandy will hold the fort down on the left side."  is this really profound news?...gandy is  a hulking character with good skills.  but when a team like chicago unlaods him, one has to wonder.  they are in need of all warm bodies.  mouse mcnally is a good coach, but he can't make gandy an all star can he?

First of all, as per the title of the thread, Peter King was talking about Gandy, not Dr. Z. Second of all, I doubt EITHER would have made that comment based pretty much on nothing, seeing as how Gandy hasn't played LT in a couple years and considering he was bounced by Chicago, but instead would have gotten that from the source: McNally himself. Finally, who cares what Chicago did with him? Their O-line coach was crap and he though Pete Kendall was expendable when he moved onto Arizona last year.

Saying a guy graded out out well in one game isn't quite the same as declaring him an allstar. Maybe its close enough for the accuracy-challenged among you, but then again y'all ain't convincing anybody but yourselves.  :doh:

360784[/snapback]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...09/drz_insider/

"And here's a sleeper that popped my eyes open: the Bills' Billy Conaty . Maybe I just saw him on the greatest days of his career because I couldn't find anyone to agree with me. I didn't like him as much as I did Woody, but he was fairly close. If Conaty had ended up even with Woody, I'd have gone back and studied more tape. "

I stand corrected on Conaty vs. Ziegler. However, I still think Zimmerman has lost more than a few steps in recent years.

Appreciated your "accuracy challenged" comment BTW. <_<

Believe it or not, he said that he thought the fans would end up being pleasantly suprised with the Gandy signing.  King had some faith in his ability and said he thought Gandy would hold the fort on the left side.  Anyone hear this and/or agree? 

Also, Dr. Z has Willis winning the rushing title.  That sure brought a big smile to my face. 

Worth mentioning as well, he said he didn't think J.P would flop.  He said he thought he was too smart to not play well and thought he was surrounded by some good talent to make his job easier.

Good stuff if you heard him on the radio yesterday.  Thoughts?

t-r

360452[/snapback]

nice to hear some positive stuff about the OL for a change. while this may not be a popular statement in here, the opinions of king and dr. z carry more legitimacy than those of several hundred armchair QB bills' fans.

thanks for posting this tidbit.

That's what  got me excited.  He's the equivalent of Peter Gammons in baseball to me.  They both have integrity and really care that their names are respected. 

So when King starts talking up Willis, Gandy and J.P I feel a lot better.  Simply stated, those three are the biggest question marks on our team. 

1. Can Willis stay healthy?

2. Can J.P be a leader in his first year as the starter.

3. Can Mike Gandy keep J.P off the turf long enough to make good decisions. 

If Dr. Z gives me a thumbs up on two of them, that's a good feeling.  Supporting all three makes September only feel that much farther away.  God I want playoffs this year. 

t-r

360468[/snapback]

Playoffs Helll! Iwant to win the Superbowl!!!

Damn straight.  It was Bill Conaty.

<_<

In all fairness, it wasn't first team All NFL.  Still, not one of Z's shining moments.

360639[/snapback]

True, I believe his comments were that in the games (tape) he saw of Conaty, old Billy did a good job. I thnk it was a bit of a surprise to him (Dr. Z) as well. Let's not blow this all out of proportion...jeez....

nice to hear some positive stuff about the OL for a change.  while this may not be a popular statement in here, the opinions of king and dr. z carry more legitimacy than those of several hundred armchair QB bills' fans.

thanks for posting this tidbit.

362961[/snapback]

Actually i would place more faith in comments made by a local beat reporter

who follows the team exclusively rather than these nationally syndicated

columnists....

These guys probably just look up some of the local news papers before

talking or writing about the bills and usually don't have the genuine information.

They are also busy writing about the teams that have the national attention

like the cowboys or the patriots or the redskins rather than the bills...

In fact some of our own arm chair QBs will have better knowldege than

the Lenny Ps and Peter Kings...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...09/drz_insider/

"And here's a sleeper that popped my eyes open: the Bills' Billy Conaty . Maybe I just saw him on the greatest days of his career because I couldn't find anyone to agree with me. I didn't like him as much as I did Woody, but he was fairly close. If Conaty had ended up even with Woody, I'd have gone back and studied more tape. "

I stand corrected on Conaty vs. Ziegler.  However, I still think Zimmerman has lost more than a few steps in recent years. 

Appreciated your "accuracy challenged" comment BTW.  :w00t:

362864[/snapback]

Thanx for the blurb, Fury. I was poking around looking for that but couldn't come up with the goods. Nice to know at least somebody can get one of these infernal machines to do their bidding.

Cya

P.S. Hope the "accuracy challenged" comment didn't offend; just having a little fun. :blink:

Actually i would place more faith in comments made by a local beat reporter

who follows the team exclusively rather than these nationally syndicated

columnists....

These guys probably just look up some of the local news papers before

talking or writing about the bills and usually don't have the genuine information.

They are also busy writing about the teams that have the national attention

like the cowboys or the patriots or the redskins rather than the bills...

In fact some of our own arm chair QBs will have better knowldege than

the Lenny Ps and Peter Kings...

I don't know about that. King made that comment about Gandy on Thursday, and the blurb above from billsdaily.com on Saturday essentially says the same thing. That leads me to believe that King talked to Mularkey and/or McNally about the Gandy. I don't think that King would say that Gandy would be a "pleasant surprise" without actually having heard that from someone who was close to the situation, because he was essentially a street FA who "failed" in his time with the Bears, and about whom it would be easier/safer to predict failure.

Quote from Peter King yesterday. Guess Willis proved a lot in 9 games.

Jordan appears -- and of course he hasn't done it yet -- to be ready to break through as a Willis McGahee-type of back.

Taliking about LaMont Jordon