Ray Davis--Community Involvement with Foster Care

Watching the story about Ray Davis getting involved in the community with foster care, what he has overcome, and listening to him speak, the ability of the Bills to draft high character intelligent players is both amazing and reinforces how easy it is to root for this group.  From Josh Allen all the way down, these players remain an amazing group.  Too much emphasis is placed on pure athletic skills.  These guys have the tools and the fire to do great things-- the intangibles.  Beane and McDermott certainly look for guys who get it-- in life as much as football-- when they draft and sign players.  I really love that.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I like the character guys also.

There are hard-boiled fans on here who don't care about a player's character--I'm sure they will speak up. They just want the best pure athlete available. They are the ones who complained on draft day about Beane selecting "another team Captain" as if that were a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Agree we want football players, but the guys that have the ability to see the bigger picture in life, help others, are the kind of players that add to team chemistry. Any sports movie where the team wins - you know this is a real thing.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boater said:

I like the character guys also.

There are hard-boiled fans on here who don't care about a player's character--I'm sure they will speak up. They just want the best pure athlete available. They are the ones who complained on draft day about Beane selecting "another team Captain" as if that were a bad thing.

Yes, Beane is very serious about the importance of the role of a "Captain"...will need a new slate of them.

image.png.703f84b78c6246737738f06b17c3697f.png

Anyway, I assume most fans understand that such events and charities are scouted and set up by the player's agency and/or team.  It's part of the business.

• Like (+1) 2

While his personal life before football reads as  a hard luck life he now has the opportunity to give back as a success story

I celebrate that and I dare say for guys like him can have a great influence all by himself. His name carries NFL clout. And no question our broken foster care system needs the support and kids the hope and inspiration.

Its a relationship   that I am guessing if you were to ask him does HIM more good than the perceived people he is helping support

being an over comer and achiever does translate to football. If he has the physical gifts to be in the NFL I will root for him even harder. I'm just glad I don't make the football decisions. I want them ALL to succeed and prosper. For Our Teams Benefit AND community

that's what I call WIN WIN 🙂 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Anyway, I assume most fans understand that such events and charities are scouted and set up by the player's agency and/or team.  It's part of the business.

So you are of the belief that Ray Davis is only doing what he is does for "business"?

That's a pretty cynical frame of thought.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can understand the advantage of a new athlete having someone guide him and navigate the logistics of Becoming a tax exempt charitable  organization as a business endeavor.

His level of commitment , motivation and desire to serve in that new role  is something no one will know for certain except He himself..

If the guys heart isn't involved well that sucks for everyone. I call That Lose Lose

*shrugs*

Edited by muppy

On 5/25/2024 at 1:41 PM, ColoradoBills said:

So you are of the belief that Ray Davis is only doing what he is does for "business"?

That's a pretty cynical frame of thought.

I do--and that's not a knock on what him and every rookie does once they roll into town.  I believe it's standard advice for them to team up with a charity, so they do so.

It's not cynical to say this.

On 5/25/2024 at 3:02 PM, muppy said:

I can understand the advantage of a new athlete having someone guide him and navigate the logistics of Becoming a tax exempt charitable  organization as a business endeavor.

His level of commitment , motivation and desire to serve in that new role  is something no one will know for certain except He himself..

If the guys heart isn't involved well that sucks for everyone. I call That Lose Lose

*shrugs*

It's not a business endeavor for him, it's for the Bills and the NFL.

We can't know if his heart is involved, but if he keeps his commitments to his chosen cause/charity, then that's fine too.  Win win.

On 5/25/2024 at 7:59 AM, Casey D said:

Watching the story about Ray Davis getting involved in the community with foster care, what he has overcome, and listening to him speak, the ability of the Bills to draft high character intelligent players is both amazing and reinforces how easy it is to root for this group.  From Josh Allen all the way down, these players remain an amazing group.  Too much emphasis is placed on pure athletic skills.  These guys have the tools and the fire to do great things-- the intangibles.  Beane and McDermott certainly look for guys who get it-- in life as much as football-- when they draft and sign players.  I really love that.

I agree with what you say here about Davis, and think of Coleman of course, as another example of this.

But I do get somewhat concerned at times that the character concept may make the Bills reach for a player or choose a lesser player, thinking that character may propel a player to higher level in the pros. 

And the Chiefs don't seem to give a hoot about character!  They have won three Super Bowls in the last five years.

Overall, I do think this focus has helped make the Bills a resilient and perennial contender.

My wife and I were foster parents for a time and our older daughter is a social worker who works with foster families.  I appreciate any attention he can bring to the need for quality foster care.  It is an unfortunate necessity in our society.  There are people who are amazing foster parents, some who I might call mercenary foster parents and some who find themselves in over their heads.  There is always room for better screening, better training and better support.   

• Like (+1) 1