The end of "moving the chains"?

11 hours ago, SoTier said:

If everyone was a "purist", we as a species would probably still be wandering naked on the plains of Africa grubbing and living on fruit, nuts, roots, grubs, insects, and the occasional not too overripe animal carcass.

Maybe I misunderstood or misread the article, but I thought that the tech would depend upon a sensor in the ball that would record precisely where the ball landed as well as an electronic line-to-gain.   That would be similar to what they use in tennis matches. 

I think a horn signaling the clock expiration is a really such a simple fix that it's surprising that it doesn't come up every time there's one of those controversial plays.

The competition committee will talk about it at their next meeting and then table it and do nothing.  

It's about time we know whether it's 3rd and 4 1/4" or 4 1/2"

But if it can take something out of the hands of the referees, there will be more correct calls. Maybe the new device can figure what's a catch or not.

It’s the 21st century. There should be the same sensors in the ball as on the players (nextgen stats). I’m not sure of the precision, but if they can measure 100s of a mph when running then they should be pretty accurate. We should know the 3D position of the ball, and the field boundries with in a few millimeters. So first downs, spots, goal lines kicks etc… you can still have the chains, with sensors as well telling the operator if they are in the right spot etc. I’m actually surprised this hasn’t been implemented yet. I’m all for this. 

It takes the NFL further away from its history, and the chains work just fine.  If they go ahead with this, as usual with things of this nature, it will probably slow the game down as the NFL seeks precision at the cost of entertainment.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. 

26 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

It takes the NFL further away from its history, and the chains work just fine.  If they go ahead with this, as usual with things of this nature, it will probably slow the game down as the NFL seeks precision at the cost of entertainment.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something

By the same token, just because something has "always been done that way" doesn't mean it should continue...