OTAs 5/21

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Oh for sure.  He's 29 years old, his calling cards have been speed, quickness and availability.  At 29, Father Time is gonna catch up to him Real Soon Now.  He got out-played by Colts rookie Josh Downs last season (Downs is looking like a potential steal of a 3rd round pick).  It actually wouldn't surprise me if McKenzie didn't make the Giants final 53, but I haven't been following the Giants roster enough to know what the competition is

Looks like he’s competing with gunner olzsewski for the returner job/WR6.  Hodgins is also likely in the mix for WR6.  

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have to disagree...I think Daboll signed him because McKenzie knows the system and I am not even sure he makes the roster, and if he does, its doubtful its a meaningful role.  McKenzie is just not a good WR, and for a guy whose speed gets talked about so much, he really does not play that fast on the field.  He is more quick than fast, and when "speed" is your only sign-able trait (because its definitely not his hands, route running, toughness, or special teams play), being more quick than fast is why you bounce from team to team.  

I mean being one of the most desperate teams in the NFL for WR's and speed is probably why Giants signed him, and may be the only reason McKenzie has a real shot at a job this year as he likely would have been nothing more than camp fodder on any other roster outside maybe the Pats with no real shot to make the active 53 most places because he just doesn't add much on ST's.

I feel Bills used him incorrectly near the end days

trying to make more out of him than he was able to muster.

Kinda a trick play , double revers type of player they wanted as an actual WR lol

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I feel Bills used him incorrectly near the end days

trying to make more out of him than he was able to muster.

Kinda a trick play , double revers type of player they wanted as an actual WR lol

Exactly, they tried to make him a WR when he was a gadget player.  He is fine as a WR4/5 gadget guy, he is terrible as a top 3 WR on a depth chart where you need to rely on him to try and get consistent production and move chains.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly, they tried to make him a WR when he was a gadget player.  He is fine as a WR4/5 gadget guy, he is terrible as a top 3 WR on a depth chart where you need to rely on him to try and get consistent production and move chains.  

Lil' Dummy was a good example of a player just not being effective when asked to scale up.    Which is the rule more than the exception.  But you didn't want to tell that to anyone on the board in spring of 2022.   Just like fans routinely cited Gabe Davis 4 TD playoff game as proof that he was a stud..........they cited McKenzie's 125 yard outlier in New England in 2021 to justify their assuredness that he was ready to fill Cole Beasley's role.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He developed enough ability to run routes while with the Bills to not be an automatic "tell" for "here comes that jet sweep" and to fill in pretty well as a backup slot receiver, but it was one of the roster judgement errors of 2022 to believe that McKenzie could become a full time slot (and that Davis could take over as a full time "X" from Brown/Sanders).  Although, to do Beane justice, they started the season with Crowder and platooned him at slot with McKenzie until Crowder broke his leg.  So it was likely not their intent to count in McKenzie as the full time slot.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He developed enough ability to run routes while with the Bills to not be an automatic "tell" for "here comes that jet sweep" and to fill in pretty well as a backup slot receiver, but it was one of the roster judgement errors of 2022 to believe that McKenzie could become a full time slot (and that Davis could take over as a full time "X" from Brown/Sanders).  Although, to do Beane justice, they started the season with Crowder and platooned him at slot with McKenzie until Crowder broke his leg.  So it was likely not their intent to count in McKenzie as the full time slot.

Right. I’m not sure why everyone forgets that. I guess because Crowder got hurt so early? Poor planning on Beane’s part not to know about the broken leg in advance. 

I’m pretty sure the plan for the slot that year was a platoon of McCrowder. McKenzie still doing the gadget stuff that he’d been so effective at in the past, plus playing more traditional slot snaps. Crowder would’ve been in on most 3rd downs, and would’ve played a role much more akin to the Dr. Cole Beasley role. McKenzie was never going to be that elite zone beater who can consistently move the chains, and I don’t think the Bills were planning on that. 

12 hours ago, Cash said:

Right. I’m not sure why everyone forgets that. I guess because Crowder got hurt so early? Poor planning on Beane’s part not to know about the broken leg in advance. 

I’m pretty sure the plan for the slot that year was a platoon of McCrowder. McKenzie still doing the gadget stuff that he’d been so effective at in the past, plus playing more traditional slot snaps. Crowder would’ve been in on most 3rd downs, and would’ve played a role much more akin to the Dr. Cole Beasley role. McKenzie was never going to be that elite zone beater who can consistently move the chains, and I don’t think the Bills were planning on that. 

Jamison Crowder was coming off a notably down season with a feeble, RB-like 8.8 yards per reception.........and he'd missed 4 games entirely in each of the prior 2 seasons.  

The Crowder signing was akin to the signings of Mack Hollins or Chase Claypool or MVS..........the arrow was/is pointing downward on all these dudes.

What's crazy is that Crowder had a better career than any of those guys to that point but so many fans act like this is totally different.   McCrowder was going to replace Beasley(stop me if you've heard this before) "in aggregate" because Crowder was good against zone and McKenzie was good against man.    Pffffffft.:lol:   

Fans keep falling for this sh!t every offseason.